A 3D rotating globe of Mystara (easy to do)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

LoZompatore
Stone Giant

A 3D rotating globe of Mystara (easy to do)

Post by LoZompatore » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:01 pm

Here are a few screenshots of a 3D globe of Mystara I made with a slightly edited version of Thorfinn Tait's excellent replica of Mentzer's map:

Image Image Image
Full resolution image here. Full resolution image here. Full resolution image here.

Image Image Image
Full resolution image here. Full resolution image here. Full resolution image here.

I know out on the web there is a lot of ways to do the same transformation (equirectangular projection to a 3D rotating globe) but I found this PlanetGen is a light and pretty easy (and free) software to use: I include here an example about creating your own global rotating map.

1) Download PlanetGen here (6.15Mb) and install it.

2) Download "Mystara_rotating_maps.zip" file (about 1Mb in size: there is a test bitmap picture, the GIMP layered file used to create the bitmap picture and a copy of these instructions) here.

3) Open PlanetGen folder: you'll notice a subfolder called "planets". Insert here the "Mystara_rotating_good.bmp" map you found in the .zip file.

4) Start PlanetGen software: on "Planet|Open Map..." load the "Mystara_rotating_good.bmp" map.

5) Click on "View|3D PlanetView".

6) Enjoy!

I suggest you to remove the "Bump Map" effect (in the "Options" menu on the 3D window). You can move the globe around with the right mouse button, and rotate it with the left button. I was not able to find any zoom option, but if you enlarge/shrink the 3D window the globe will enlarge/shrink as well.

As you guess, if you edit/change the bitmap file you'll get a different 3D globe. After some experiments I suppose the software will turn into a 3D rotating globe any picture of any size and shape. Nevertheless, I suggest you to use a picture whose length is double than its height (a proper equirectangular projection) to get a realistic globe from your flat map.

;)

AllanP
Storm Giant

Re: A 3D rotating globe of Mystara (easy to do)

Post by AllanP » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:03 pm

Great stuff!!! :D :D :cool: :!:
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Wow! Very interesting!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Raymond
Gnoll

Post by Raymond » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:12 am

I took the replica of the Mystara map from the RC and stuffed it into Google Earth.

The seams don't line up perfectly of course, but I'm please at how much else lines up so well. What I wanted to do was show the "North Pole" area since the planet is supposed to have holes and that map shows that it goes to the 90 degree and as such doesn't appear to have much of hole.

Someone else did a similar thing with a different map in Google Earth and came up with:

http://www.pandius.com/google.html

Raymond
Gnoll

Post by Raymond » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:17 am

According to the http://www.pandius.com/google.html page, the arch for the holes should start at 60 degrees and totally open at about 85 degrees (as I'm eye-balling it).

Raymond
Gnoll

Post by Raymond » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:28 am

I stuffed http://www.pandius.com/hollow-world-unprojected.png into Google Earth and found it interesting to toggle between the two maps as the land that stretches to the poles on the inside and outside seem to be reaching for each other. I can't remember what I read to see if it's possible to walk the land between the sides through the polar openings.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:31 am

Raymond wrote:Someone else did a similar thing with a different map in Google Earth and came up with:

http://www.pandius.com/google.html
Hey, I remember those! ;)

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:01 pm

It's good to see more of these kinds of models, but it also makes me wonder where we've got to in the discussions about the Outer World map and the extent of the polar openings.

The last we all spoke about these issues that I can recall, we were discussing expansion of the Far End Ocean and the repercussions of doing that. Perhaps more of a point, if it is not expanded rather drastically there simply is not enough map to put on the globe. I'd love to hear your thoughts on these issues.

Regarding polar openings, my latest attempt at a diagram is this one:

Updated Mystara Cross-section showing effect of axial tilt of 24º on sunlight, with polar lip beginning at 66º by Thorf, March 2012
Image Image Image Image

The numbers used in my diagram are based on world measurements made by scaling the world maps to the existing hex maps, with arbitrary choices for axial tilt and polar opening sizes.

Updated Mystara Cross-section with hex map-based dimensions and polar lip beginning at 66º by Thorf, March 2012
Image Image Image Image

Raymond
Gnoll

Post by Raymond » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:54 pm

This has me thinking about the maps which go out to 90 degrees north and south. If you took were to print an outerworld map and wrap it on the surface of a hollow world as illustrated in Thorf's diagrams, then it looks like the poles would wrap past the halfway point into the hollow world.

Also, if a map of the Hollow World is illistrated with latitude and longetude lines as we do for the outer surface, it's probably distorted in ways I haven't seen discussed because of the curving of the land one way and then the other. Plus (and maybe more importantly), the scale in terms of distance between latitutes would be different between the inner and outer surfaces.

Raymond
Gnoll

Post by Raymond » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:58 pm

If I was into ceramics, I'd try to bake a hollow world globe in halves that could put together or separated with the lat and long lines painted on. Hmm...<gears turning>.

Return to “Mystara”