Halkith and the Isle of Dread

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Halkith and the Isle of Dread

Postby Havard » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:37 pm

According to Monster Manual III (for 4E), A wizard named Halkith has a tower on the Isle of Dread. He created the Su-Monster race to protect his tower, though he himself no longer resides on the Island.

Halkith is also mentioned in Heroes of the Feywild (also 4E) in connection to the Isle of Dread.

Does anyone know anything more about this character? Is he connected to any other setting or is he up for grabs? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Halkith and the Isle of Dread

Postby Chimpman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:30 pm

After a quick search for Halkith on Google, I couldn't find much more about him. It looks like someone made mention of him and his tower on the Isle of Dread in an adventure of their own. Again it's little more than a passing reference to the guy.

If were were to "appropriate" ;) this guy for Mystara, where would he be from? What's his back story?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Havard » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:03 pm

Chimpman wrote:After a quick search for Halkith on Google, I couldn't find much more about him. It looks like someone made mention of him and his tower on the Isle of Dread in an adventure of their own. Again it's little more than a passing reference to the guy.

Yep. I found the fan thing too, but again doesnt really offer more than what is in the books.

Chimpman wrote:If were were to "appropriate" ;) this guy for Mystara, where would he be from? What's his back story?

Now we're talking! :)

His name doesnt sound Thyatian. My most immediate idea was to make him an Alphatian. Possibly an apprentice of Gargantua?

Su-Monsters don't feel particularly Mystaran, though perhaps he did experiments on Phanatons?

If he is not on the Isle of Dread anymore (as per the 4E books), then what happened to him?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Chimpman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:16 pm

Havard wrote:His name doesnt sound Thyatian. My most immediate idea was to make him an Alphatian. Possibly an apprentice of Gargantua?

At first I was thinking maybe he could be from Ierendi or Minrothad (possibly from Honor Island) - being from a sea faring nation would give him a reason to find himself on the Isle of Dread. Then I started thinking... what other mages dabble in the creation of new species/races. We know of at least one nation of mages which does such a thing, and they are responsible for the gatormen, caymen, and lizardmen of the Savage Coast. What if Halkith is a Herathian?

Havard wrote:Su-Monsters don't feel particularly Mystaran, though perhaps he did experiments on Phanatons?

I like where this is going. If we tie in the Herathian species creating angle, then I think it would make a lot of sense for Halkith to experiment on the phanatons he finds on the IoDread. In other threads we have toyed with the idea that Herathian race creation magic is tied in with ancient carnifex lore. This could give a rather sinister bend to the su-monsters.

Havard wrote:If he is not on the Isle of Dread anymore (as per the 4E books), then what happened to him?

Good question. He could have simply been killed (possibly by his own creations). Or maybe he is out searching the world (Davania perhaps) for more carnifex lore to bolster his already impressive powers. Or perhaps he went home to Herath for a while (to deal with some family issues).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Havard » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:57 pm

Found some additional information at wizards.com:

2nd Edition added the legend that su monsters were magical hybrids of humans and apes, created by an evil wizard in order to guard his forest against psionic intruders. 4E slightly alters this legend. Su monsters now come from "the Isle of Dread, a jungle island based in the Feywild. A wizard named Halkith created the creatures to guard his tower from the island’s other inhabitants, including yuan-ti and hostile humanoid tribes. To create su monsters, Halkith combined the intellect and cunning of primates with the strength and stealth of fey panthers."

Source: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx ... m/20100511

Chimpman wrote:
Havard wrote:His name doesnt sound Thyatian. My most immediate idea was to make him an Alphatian. Possibly an apprentice of Gargantua?

At first I was thinking maybe he could be from Ierendi or Minrothad (possibly from Honor Island) - being from a sea faring nation would give him a reason to find himself on the Isle of Dread. Then I started thinking... what other mages dabble in the creation of new species/races. We know of at least one nation of mages which does such a thing, and they are responsible for the gatormen, caymen, and lizardmen of the Savage Coast. What if Halkith is a Herathian?

I like this a lot! Besideds, the presence of Aranea on the Isle of Dread does suggest some contact between that island and the Savage Coast...

Havard wrote:Su-Monsters don't feel particularly Mystaran, though perhaps he did experiments on Phanatons?

I like where this is going. If we tie in the Herathian species creating angle, then I think it would make a lot of sense for Halkith to experiment on the phanatons he finds on the IoDread. In other threads we have toyed with the idea that Herathian race creation magic is tied in with ancient carnifex lore. This could give a rather sinister bend to the su-monsters.

I'd need to read up on the Herath/Carnifex connection, but that is intriguing! Again, Phanatons is another element shared by the Isle of Dread and the Savage Coast.

Havard wrote:If he is not on the Isle of Dread anymore (as per the 4E books), then what happened to him?

Good question. He could have simply been killed (possibly by his own creations). Or maybe he is out searching the world (Davania perhaps) for more carnifex lore to bolster his already impressive powers. Or perhaps he went home to Herath for a while (to deal with some family issues).
[/quote]

All possible. He may even have returned to Herath. Or he could have ended up on the loosing side of a confrontation with Shademaw? Or was she driven away by Hyacinth the Druid?

Assuming that he is a Herathian, what would that tell us about his abandoned Tower?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Not sure about the phanaton connection, but as for possible reasons behind Halkith creating the psionic su-monsters- perhaps they were to be his defense against the mental manipulations of the Isle of Dread's notorious Kopru?

Also, just a sidenote, the Temple of Araknee is located on an island near to the Isle of Dread. There have always seemed- to me- to be some definite hints towards creating a bit of a continuity between the Savage Coastal aranea of Herath and the Isle of Dawn aranea of Thothia- which way that connection goes is debatable (IoD emigrating westwards or Herathians emigrating eastwards), but there is anecdotal evidence to fashion some sort of connection.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:38 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Also, just a sidenote, the Temple of Araknee is located on an island near to the Isle of Dread. There have always seemed- to me- to be some definite hints towards creating a bit of a continuity between the Savage Coastal aranea of Herath and the Isle of Dawn aranea of Thothia- which way that connection goes is debatable (IoD emigrating westwards or Herathians emigrating eastwards), but there is anecdotal evidence to fashion some sort of connection.

I agree about the connection. It's always been my opinion that the IoD aranea came first. The earliest mention of aranea (or their ancestors the planar spiders) on the Isle of Dawn in 5000 BC, while the earliest mention of aranea in the SC (at Belphemon) is BC 3200.

Regardless, I've been thinking of ways to tie Halkith in with BC 2300 as well. There is a sizable aranea population living in Adhuza (mostly on the large island in the Sea of Dread) in BC 2300. Perhaps Halkith's tower is actually an ancient stronghold of his people - one that he rediscovered and re-purposed for his own goals.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Cthulhudrew » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Another idea that occurred to me: what if Halkith were a kopru wizard?
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Another idea that occurred to me: what if Halkith were a kopru wizard?

Man, that's a great idea too. I wonder how long do kopru live? If it's close to elven lifespans, it's possible that there have been a whole string of "Halkiths" that stumble onto the ruins and then fall under the domination of the kopru living there. In that case the next wizard who comes along could become the next Halkith! Watch out PCs ;)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:45 am

"The Ecology of the Kopru" in Dragon #354 claims the average kopru lives only fifty years. I'm unaware if any Mystara-specific source gives them longer lives than that.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:09 am

PC3 gives the suggested maximum age for Kopru as 200 (190 +2d20). Could be that the kopru of the Sunlit Sea are just longer lived than others, either due to environmental reasons or for the fact that they live in more civilized climes (and thus are less susceptible to premature deaths due to conflict).
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:12 pm

Not sure how I feel about Halikith being a Kopru. Why would he build a tower if he was? OTOH, I do like the connection to Kopru because of psionics.

In any case I really doubt WotC will ever touch Halikith again...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Mystara