Superior Trade Goods of the Known World and Beyond

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Postby Spellweaver » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Player Warning - please only read the thread and the Google Doc - not the links to my blog

EDIT January 26th 2013: I am moving this project to my blog - The Shady Dragon Inn - and also keeping an updated full-text version in in Google Docs that will be more easy to browse and print or copy from for anyone so interested. In the future, I will still update this thread but only with links to new items on my blog. Anyone who is interested in contributing to the catalogue is more than welcome to do so - either by posting here or on my blog. :D

- A guide by House Mauntea

Foreword by Corwyn Mauntea

Greetings young associate of House Mauntea! What you hold in your hands is the product of many years of travelling and trading by the merchants of House Mauntea; the most extensive catalogue of the best goods and finest wares found around the Known World and even beyond as far as Alphatia, the Isle of Dawn, Norwold and Sind.

There is more to becoming a Merchant than simply buying and transporting goods from one place to another in the hope of securing a profit. Knowing the supply and demand around the world is naturally a key factor but even more important is being able to spot superior craftsmanship and quality. In each region and almost every town across the land you will find that there is something the local populace does better or faster and therefore cheaper than people elsewhere.

Learn from this great book about the many fascinating opportunities for profit out there and you may very well soon be on the rise within House Mauntea. Protect the secrets of the House, trade honestly and fairly and use good judgement and you too can realize your dreams and ambitions.

Corwyn Mauntea, Klarmont, 998 AC

This book is a detailed overview of much of the Known World’s finest merchandise. The items displayed all have in common that they are either of higher than average quality, lower than average cost or simply rare and wanted enough that there is a healthy profit in trading them.

INDEX

The Secret Chapters

Rumours insist that an alternate version of the book exists, which includes items and goods frowned upon by the law. House Mauntea does not condone the selling of such items, nevertheless for an unscrupulous merchant there is certainly financial gain to be had from supplying them.

Last edited by Spellweaver on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 10 times in total.
My fan-stuff over the years at the Vault of Pandius.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Re: Superior Trade Goods of the Known World and Beyond

Postby Spellweaver » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:38 pm

This is a project that I have been playing around with in my mind for years but never actually started on. It is, of course, inspired by the Forgotten Realms Aurora’s Whole Realms Catalog. I didn’t want to do a copy, however, and I never liked the mail-order concept anyway, so when my friend Jens suggested making it a listing only of uncommon items for junior merchants to read, I immediately stole his idea. :D

Anyone is free to comment or contribute with their own additions to the book. I will try to keep an updated index of the content. Therefore, please limit yourselves to adding only one new item per post. That way I can more easily link from the index to each item.

I have been thinking about prices and whether they should be in 0E D&D or 3.5E D&D/Pathfinder format. So far I haven’t come up with a solution that can satisfy everyone’s needs, but I am not going to worry about that right now, because I think the most interesting will be the item descriptions and how DM’s and Players can get inspiration for their games and not so much its use as an actual gaming price list.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:21 pm

Scribe's Desk

Last edited by Spellweaver on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Shark skin parchment

A favourite among seafarers of the Minrothad Guilds and Ierendi, this waterproof parchment is made from the skin of great sharks from the Sea of Dread. Because of the way it has been treated, it can go underwater indefinetly without being damaged. It is often used for communication between land dwellers and the inhabitants of the sea or to ensure that important documents are not lost or damaged at sea.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Undersea Ink

This special ink is made from the ink of giant squids, hunted by the citizens of the Undersea Kingdom, and is occasionally sold to Ierendi and Minrothad traders and the citizens of the raft city of Kron. The ink is completely waterproof and when applied to shark skin parchment becomes a document that can sustain underwater use and storage. Thus, it is highly practical both for the Undersea races and for communication between the Undersea and the surface lands.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:01 am

Mounts & Livestock

See also the Horse Breeds of Mystara by Sheldon Morris.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:37 am

Armours & Shields

Last edited by Spellweaver on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:44 am

Squire's Armour Maintenance Kit

This kit contains polishes, rags, replacement fsteners, wire brushes and leather strips and is indispensable in keeping armour in top shape. An armour maintenance kit grants a +2 circumstance bonus on Craft (armoursmithing) checks to repair armour. It weighs 1 lb.

Armour maintenance kits are especially popular in metal armour-using cultures such as Karameikos, Rockhome and Thyatis.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:56 am

Knight's Banner / Battle Standard

A banner is a large cloth emblazoned with a heraldic device. It is used to display a personal, family or royal crest, or as identification on the battlefield. The price given is for a simple banner made from cotton and cheaper materials - the fancier the banner, the higher the cost.

A banner grants a +2 circumstance bonus to Spot checks to be seen from a distance, as well as a +1 circumstance bonus to be identified correctly with a Knowledge Nobility check.

In the Empire of Thyatis, each Legion carries its own battle standard adorned with gold and gemstones. The Legion's battle records are noted on small plaques attached to the pole. If the battle standard is ever lost, it spells disgrace for the entire Legion until it is recovered.

A typical banner or standard weighs 10 lbs. or more.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:45 pm

Wines, Ales & Other Beverages

See also Drinks of Karameikos and Mystaran Drinks at the Vault of Pandius.
Last edited by Spellweaver on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Forecastle Pilsner / Forecastle Stout

Brewed in Harbortown on Trader's Isle under the supervision of Master Brewer Allyn Cadel of Clan Corser, the Forecastle Pilsner and Forecastle Stout are the two most common beers in Minrothad Guilds.

The Pilsner is a pale lager - beautiful, golden colour and a fresh, slightly spicy aftertaste. Compared to other types of beer it is light, which many citizens like because they can engage in social drinking without getting drunk too quickly.

The Stout is darker and a lot stronger than the Pilsner. It is popular among the dwarf population and people drinking for effect.

Because the ingredients have to be imported to the Minrothad Isles, Forecastle Pilsner and Stout is not cheap but it is still cheaper than imported wine from the mainland. The Forecastle brand has spread in recent years to ports around the Sea of Dread, especially to establishments catering to Minrothad sailors, who long for a taste to remind them of home.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:10 am

Blank Book (many variations)

"The best blank books comes from the Stenson & Sons paper mill in Hendry. The local woods along the Helleck River provide Darokin with much of her timber needs, and much of it floats down river from the logging camps to Hendry's great saw mill. Right next to the saw mill, Dennys Stenson and his family is the fourth generation to run the Stenson & Sons paper mill, using the left overs from the saw mill to make pulp, which is then boiled, dried and bleached into paper and finally bound into excellent quality blank books, usable for anything from chronicling history to keeping accurate business ledgers, why, even to write down magical spells!

The books of Stenson & Sons have such a reputation for quality that they will fetch a good price as far away as Glantri and Thyatis. The Ylari seem to prefer keeping records in long, unhandy scrolls, and don't even bother with the savages of the Northern Reaches. I doubt they have even seen a book, most of them.

Basic in design, books from Stenson & Sons are wonderfully versatile. You can use them for common purposes as a practical tool, or you can spend some extra gold and have a book binder and a gold smith really create an item of beauty. Imagine a tome with the history of your lineage bound in the leathers of some exotic beast, its corners protected by filigree edges, its content protected from prying eyes by the clasp of a master lock, eh? Surely such an item belongs in the stately manor of every gentleman?"

Blank books come in a number of sizes and number of pages. The basic cover is made from two pieces of hard wood and a thin leather binding of cow skin or another cheap product. Books can be protected or decorated in a number of ways of varying expense.
Last edited by Spellweaver on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Personal supplies

Last edited by Spellweaver on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Tobai kernel hair oil

"This highly nutritional oil comes from the kernels of the tobai tree, which only grows on the steppes of Ethengar. As such, it is rather hard to come by for outsiders, who are not willing to travel to these wind-swepped plains. The locals are more than willing to trade it to you, however, if you bring commodities they need like metals, glasware, silks or items of luxury.

The people of Ethengar use the oil to care for their braided hair and long moustaches. Water for washing is sparse on the plains, but with the oils they can maintain a healthy looking hair.

Despite its origin among the barbaric clans, abroad the use of tobai kernel oil is becoming popular among the elite in Darokin and further south. In some parts of Glantri, particularly among the people of Krondahar, Cauranze and Belcadiz, the oil is also highly popular. Just don't bring it anywhere near Aalban! If you get caught peddling goods from Ethengar, Prince Jaggar's men are likely to interrogate you as a potential spy!"
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Yak fat

"This is probably one of the most disgusting things I have ever traded. The people of Ethengar use yak fat on their skin to protect it from the blistering cold winds on the plains, and while it does work, it also stinks terribly!

Add to this that the Ethengarians don't bathe like you or I but visit steam huts and scrub with pads of folded goat hair before putting on more yak fat and getting back on their horses, you can understand why it is always wise to remain upwind when doing business with them!

The yak fat is useful for its purpose, however, and I have known caravan guards to use it on occasion, though most civilized people just put on more clothes. I guess if you for some reason needed to smell like an Ethengarian, yak fat would quickly do the trick.

There is very little demand for yak fat outside Ethengar, but I have on occasion sold some to people in Krondahar".
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:29 am

Illuminations

Last edited by Spellweaver on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:57 am

Skarrad helmet lamp

The dwarves of Clan Skarrad in Rockhome have always been known for their innovation in technology. Thus, it is no wonder that these master craftsmen invented a combination helmet and lamp for use by dwarven miners and others working far underground. The helmet is basically a regular mining helmet with a lamp with a polished disc mounted on the front pointing forward. It sheds light in a cone in front of the user, granting normal vision for 30 feet and illuminating the area somewhat dimly for a further 15 feet beyond that.

The helmet is not constructed for warfare, but skirmishes with goblins and other fell creatures of the earth happen often enough that the dwarves invented a helmet that can stand up to enemy blows. The helmet counts as a metal cap and the DM should feel free to assign the lamp part a hardness and a number of hp, if enemies of the wearer want to try and smash the light.

Naturally, the lamp mechanism is designed to withstand a rough treatment in the mines, so the light won't be extinguished even if the helmet is turned violently, held upside down or thrown. A dwarf can fall into a sinkhole or get hit by falling rocks and his helmet lamp will usually still function.

The great benefit of the helmet lamp is of course that both your hands are free to operate tools and wield weapons and a shield. The main drawback of the helmet lamp is that it is not easily doused. Adventurers seeking a discrete source of illumination are better off going with the traditional hooded lantern.

The 30 gp price listed is for a human-sized version sold to outsiders. Dwarves can usually get their hands on a dwarf-sized helmet lamp for 20 gp or even less if they belong to Clan Skarrad.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Lantern, fog-cutter

"Originally invented by the people of the misty Trader's Isle in Minrothad Guilds, this lantern has quickly spread to the mainland - particularly the Shires and Karameikos, where fog is also common. I also hear that a colleague of mine brought some to the northern parts of Glantri to Boldavia. A special version of the lantern exists, which can be mounted on carriages to help the coachman navigate on dangerous roads".

This bullseye lantern has a special amber lens that allows light to reach farther through mist, fog and smoke than from regular lanterns. It illuminates a cone 40 feet long and 10 feet wide at the end, regardless of fog or mist and it burns for 6 hours on a pint of oil. You can carry the lantern in one hand.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Havard » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Great thread!

I like how all of these items seem to have a particular Mystaran feel to them :)

Will you also be including the Wines from B7?

"The Wizard of Wine" Winery
  • Champagne du le Stomp
  • Purple Grapemarsh No7
  • Red Dragon Crush

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:48 pm

Havard wrote:Great thread!

I like how all of these items seem to have a particular Mystaran feel to them :)

Will you also be including the Wines from B7?

"The Wizard of Wine" Winery
  • Champagne du le Stomp
  • Purple Grapemarsh No7
  • Red Dragon Crush

-Havard

Glad you like it Havard! I was beginning to get a little discouraged that nobody was commenting or suggesting things. I don't have B7, so I don't really know anything about the wines you list, but I think they should be included if they are from the BECMI series :-)
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby AllanP » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Awesome topic, Spellweaver :cool: :cool:

Where does one begin? Looking forward to seeing more contributions

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress
AllanP
Cloud Giant

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:48 pm

AllanP wrote:Awesome topic, Spellweaver :cool: :cool:

Where does one begin? Looking forward to seeing more contributions

regards,

Glad you like it Allan! Feel free to post items or equipment yourself or point out sources for "Mystaran" stuff like Håvard did :)
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby mister c » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:31 am

How about Eltan's Ale from Eltan's Spring in Kingdom of Karameikos?
mister c
Ogre

Postby Spellweaver » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:42 am

mister c wrote:How about Eltan's Ale from Eltan's Spring in Kingdom of Karameikos?

Sounds good! Is there any more information available? I don't know anything about Eltan's Spring (or his ale ;) )
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Havard » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:10 pm

Spellweaver wrote:
mister c wrote:How about Eltan's Ale from Eltan's Spring in Kingdom of Karameikos?

Sounds good! Is there any more information available? I don't know anything about Eltan's Spring (or his ale ;) )

I believe Eltan was introduced in Karameikos: Kingdom of Adventure (the adventure booklet). IIRC Eltan is a druid living north of Threshold.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Next

Return to Mystara