Heroes of Battle: good, bad?

Published 2000 & 2003.
The Book-House: Find 3.0 Edition products, Find 3.5 Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Heroes of Battle: good, bad?

Post by rabindranath72 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:47 am

Hi all,
I was looking into buying this book. As I understand, it doesn't really deal with rules for mass battles, but for the PCs actions during battles, and how PCs might alter the outcome of battles. I haven't found any playtest review, has anybody any experience in using it?

Thanks,
Antonio

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Re: Heroes of Battle: good, bad?

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:24 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:Hi all,
I was looking into buying this book. As I understand, it doesn't really deal with rules for mass battles, but for the PCs actions during battles, and how PCs might alter the outcome of battles. I haven't found any playtest review, has anybody any experience in using it?

Thanks,
Antonio
As with most of WotC's 3.5 suppliments, this book covers a lot of ground. The information on PC actions during battles is but a part. I have not directly used that particular material, but have used many of the basic principles described. The concept of using a branching flow chart to layout PC encounters during a battle seems quite sound; I just have not had the opportunity to use it yet.

Also in the book are a variety of war-/battle-themed character options (feats, prestige classes, etc.) as well a more extensive morale and leadership rules. As with most of WotC's books, it is easy to pick and choose which options to add to your game.

If you can get a deal on it, it may well be worth it for your.
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: Heroes of Battle: good, bad?

Post by rabindranath72 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:35 am

CmdrCorsiken wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:Hi all,

Thanks,
Antonio
As with most of WotC's 3.5 suppliments, this book covers a lot of ground. The information on PC actions during battles is but a part. I have not directly used that particular material, but have used many of the basic principles described. The concept of using a branching flow chart to layout PC encounters during a battle seems quite sound; I just have not had the opportunity to use it yet.

Also in the book are a variety of war-/battle-themed character options (feats, prestige classes, etc.) as well a more extensive morale and leadership rules. As with most of WotC's books, it is easy to pick and choose which options to add to your game.

If you can get a deal on it, it may well be worth it for your.
Thanks for the comment!
I have a few questions if you don't mind.
1) How do the feats and prestige classes compare with, say, the stuff in the 3.0 core books? I only use 3.0 core, so I am interested in understanding whether the book offers stuff which is clearly superior to anything else in core.
2) Are the morale and leadership rules easy to use and "attach" to existing monster/character stuff? I am not very keen on complex additional subsystems.
3) Does the book offer guidelines on fortifications? I am going to run some mass battles in the Dragonlance setting which involve flying citadels.
4) How does the book handle "hero type" monsters/characters? For example, are there special provisions for units like dragons?

Thanks in advance!
Antonio

Return to “D&D 3rd Edition”