[video] Solo 3e play via the Miniatures Handbook

Published 2000 & 2003.
The Book-House: Find 3.0 Edition products, Find 3.5 Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[video] Solo 3e play via the Miniatures Handbook

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:17 am

Collection THX1138 has put up a video called: Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures Handbook Random Dungeon Crawl Deck and Board Game RPG Ideas that shows that you can use a section of the Miniatures Handbook to play solo-play D&D games:
Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures Handbook Random Dungeon Crawl Deck and Board Game RPG Ideas

This shows the entire Random Dungeon Deck section of the 2003 3.5 D&D Miniatures Handbook. I uploaded it to share ideas with you and Robert at Black Belt Gaming on youtube. He was combining the 4e Wrath of Ashardalon board game components with 5e RPG books to create a solo random dungeon delve. This shows other ideas like a random dungeon deck using the D&D minis stat cards, NPC ideas, Bosses, Lurkers, Wandering Monsters, Traps, Special Cards, Monster Habits for combat, Using Magic statues and Teleportation, Locks & Keys, and Campaigns. It’s good for players who want a quick challenging game when they don’t have time to play the full RPG rules, to test characters without worrying about losing them in an RPG campaign, or to play without a DM, and for DM’s to test creative ideas. I also show some of my D&D and Star wars Minis and Stat Card Examples with the RPG stats on the backs. I end the video with clips form my upcoming Star Wars Epic Duels game.
I've not see the Black Belt Gaming video he is referring to (there isn't a link there) but has anyone used the Miniatures Handbook to try to run their own solo play games?

I've not even considered it before, but it sounds like it could be fun. :)

I wonder how hard it would be to add solo-play rules to the SRD and build a 3e solo-play system. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [video] Solo 3e play via the Miniatures Handbook

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:08 am

Big Mac wrote:I wonder how hard it would be to add solo-play rules to the SRD and build a 3e solo-play system. :?
I don't think it would be too hard...there were a lot of one-on-one modules (one DM, one Player) that were released by Expeditious Retreat Press during the D20 boom.

There were also the Choose Your Own Adventure type books that TSR released. I can't imagine that it would be difficult to convert those to 3E/Pathfinder.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 03, 2016 3:25 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I wonder how hard it would be to add solo-play rules to the SRD and build a 3e solo-play system. :?
I don't think it would be too hard...there were a lot of one-on-one modules (one DM, one Player) that were released by Expeditious Retreat Press during the D20 boom.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for these.
Angel Tarragon wrote:There were also the Choose Your Own Adventure type books that TSR released. I can't imagine that it would be difficult to convert those to 3E/Pathfinder.
Do you mean Endless Quest? There are quite long sections in Endless Quest books.

I've been thinking about how to convert A Wild Ride into a tabletop adventure for Spelljammer. I'm not sure it could be done as a solo-play adventure, as you would need to read the entire thing in order to convert it to 3e (and that would give the endings away).

Having said that, if I did try soloplay with 3e rules, I would be interested in soloplay in the Spelljammer Campaign Setting.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 03, 2016 7:28 am

One disadvantage of this system...

...at least for me...

...is that I didn't have a ton-o-cash to drop on minis, back in the day, so I don't have a collection of these cards.

But if card-lists exist online, and the system uses d100 rolls for other random things, it should be possible to knock up a d100 table of monsters...or several tables. After all, it is just the randomness that I need - not the actual cards.

This could perhaps be a good fit for Chainmail. The setting was designed to be combat heavy. If Chris Perkins's scenarios could be turned into themes for d100 tables, then a solo player could roll up their own party (maybe using a book like Hero Builder's Guidebook to help give PCs a random history) and then throw their random groups against random monsters to see how well they do.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue May 03, 2016 10:56 am

Big Mac wrote:Do you mean Endless Quest? There are quite long sections in Endless Quest books.
Yes. I can't imagine it would be too hard to model new 1-on-1 adventures based on the EQ books.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue May 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Do you mean Endless Quest? There are quite long sections in Endless Quest books.
Yes. I can't imagine it would be too hard to model new 1-on-1 adventures based on the EQ books.
I've already planned on doing an adventure inspired by Endless Quest, though I didn't have 1-on-1 in mind necessarily. Those books feature a single protagonist, but there's usually some helpers along with him, so a party structure could work, as long as there's one definite leader who keeps the party from splitting or otherwise decohering. (Which is an issue for any game which is at all railroady, and not a pure sandbox.)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue May 03, 2016 5:34 pm

I've GMed one player playing an entire party before. Did not have any difficulties with it.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue May 03, 2016 5:38 pm

And if my current playgroup can indulge me, I might get their help doing exactly that with the army of 12 NPC mercs which my actual player-character hired.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue May 03, 2016 7:39 pm

willpell wrote:And if my current playgroup can indulge me, I might get their help doing exactly that with the army of 12 NPC mercs which my actual player-character hired.
:cool: Sounds cool. I look forward to hearing more about it!
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri May 06, 2016 1:06 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
willpell wrote:And if my current playgroup can indulge me, I might get their help doing exactly that with the army of 12 NPC mercs which my actual player-character hired.
Alas, it seems as though the GM prefers to keep things focused on his actual campaign, so I won't get much cooperation from him on this front. I had my 12-member NPC squad halfway through a battle with an Elemental, randomly chosen as Air rather than Earth at the last moment, and he started going on about how it would tie in with his party's previous confrontations with the Air cult, so it seems unlikely I can move forward with my initial plans.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat May 07, 2016 11:18 pm

willpell wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Alas, it seems as though the GM prefers to keep things focused on his actual campaign, so I won't get much cooperation from him on this front. I had my 12-member NPC squad halfway through a battle with an Elemental, randomly chosen as Air rather than Earth at the last moment, and he started going on about how it would tie in with his party's previous confrontations with the Air cult, so it seems unlikely I can move forward with my initial plans.
<groan>
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects

Return to “D&D 3rd Edition”