Pegasus eggs?

Published 2000 & 2003.
The Book-House: Find 3.0 Edition products, Find 3.5 Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Pegasus eggs?

Postby Ashtagon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:05 pm

According to the Monster Manual, pegasi lay eggs. This is not how I ever imagined them. For me, I always imagined them as giving birth to life foals, like horses. That said, it's never become a significant plot point in any adventure I've been involved in.

Has anyone had any involvement with pegasus eggs?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Pegasus eggs?

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:46 pm

If pegasi are more avian than they seem to be, maybe they're not winged horses so much as variant hippogriffs with horse heads and front legs. The internal organs of a pegasus and hippogriff might be almost identical, although they must have different diets.

Although you cited the 3.5 Monster Manual, note that the 1st edition Monster Manual mentions pegasus eggs too.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Zeromaru X » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:15 pm

Well, 5e Monster Manual states pegasus have nest. I found that weird when I read it, but now it has a lot of sense.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Havard » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:02 pm

The D&D Rules Cyclopedia describes them as semi intelligent winged horses.

I would not have them lay eggs.

Unless the plot demanded it ;)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Ashtagon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:36 pm

From a brief discussion with my non-gaming (but generally quite interested in wildlife) work colleagues, the consensus among them seems to be that pegasi should give birth to live foals, not lay eggs.

Are pegasi eggs a thing in real mythology at all? Or are they purely a D&D / general gaming conceit?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:54 pm

In mythology, Pegasus was born from Medusa's bloody neck stump, so it's safe to say eggs were not involved.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:31 am

Ashtagon wrote:Has anyone had any involvement with pegasus eggs?

No, but I would imagine that if you "obtain" pegasus eggs and incubate them, they would hatch and you could then train them.

That means they count as treasure! :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:36 am

Havard wrote:The D&D Rules Cyclopedia describes them as semi intelligent winged horses.

Has anyone worked out which edition was first to mention the egg thing (or a nest thing)?

Havard wrote:I would not have them lay eggs.

Unless the plot demanded it ;)

If you think about it a horse with wings is part mammal and part bird. So it's just as logical for them to lay eggs as it is for them to have live young.

Makes you wonder about winged elves and other winged humanoids. I think it would be kind of cool if a PC got married to an NPC Avariel and came home one day only to be asked to sit on an egg, while she went out to do stuff. :twisted:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:41 am

ripvanwormer wrote:In mythology, Pegasus was born from Medusa's bloody neck stump, so it's safe to say eggs were not involved.

You chop the head off of a woman with snakes growing out of her head and a flying horse comes out of the stump? Were those mythology people crazy or what? :P :lol:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby timemrick » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:03 am

Big Mac wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:In mythology, Pegasus was born from Medusa's bloody neck stump, so it's safe to say eggs were not involved.

You chop the head off of a woman with snakes growing out of her head and a flying horse comes out of the stump? Were those mythology people crazy or what? :P :lol:

It gets weirder. Most retellings of the myth leave out Medusa's other posthumous child, Chrysaor, who was born full-grown with a golden sword in his hand. Chysaor is mostly known for being the father of the three-headed monster Geryon, by the Oceanid Callirhoe. (I made heavy use of all this weird genealogy for "The Kynthiad," a solo game I run for my wife--including where the sword came from, though I can't recall offhand how much of that part I found in Robert Graves' often-harebrained footnotes to The Greek Myths and how much I made up.)

Anyway, Greek mythology won't answer the question of whether pegasi are oviparous or viviparous. There was only one Pegasus, and I've yet to come across any period source that gives him offspring. Considering how much attention is given to other equines' ancestry in the myths (the Thracian horses of Achilles and Diomedes, for example), you'd think there would be at least one!
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Sock Puppet » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:42 am

What about other cultures with winged horse myths such as Mongols?
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.
Sock Puppet
Troll

Postby Sturm » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:57 am

There is a wikipedia page about that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_winged_horses
But I do not see any information on hatching.

The Baby Bestiary handbook vol 2 which I own (http://www.rpgnow.com/product/184671/Ba ... book-Vol-2) does not mention the birth at all, probably on purpose.

The FR wiki mentions pegasus nests, but the source is not specified (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Pegasus)

Apparently this thing of the egg was already in AD&D (http://www.lomion.de/cmm/pegasus.php)
Here is said they are "egg-laying mammals" which would make them Monotremes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotreme)
:-)
while in BECMI there is nothing on how they are born.

Personally I do not like the idea of pegasus' eggs and I'm going to assume they are mammalians like horses.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:21 pm

I guess the Pegasus nest quote is from the 5e Monster Manual.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Return to D&D 3rd Edition