Dragon Magic (2006)

Published 2000 & 2003.
The Book-House: Find 3.0 Edition products, Find 3.5 Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Dragon Magic (2006)

Postby Havard » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Dragon Magic was a book for D&D 3.5 that came out in 2006:

Piazza Shoppe wrote:An exploration of two of the most exciting components of D&D® – magic and dragons!

Dragon Magic changes the way dragons are used in D&D campaigns. By imagining a world in which dragons openly share their magical secrets with humans and other races, this supplement encourages characters to form associations with dragons and learn ancient dragon secrets. Intended for both players and Dungeon Masters, Dragon Magic offers players new feats, spells, and magical items tied to dragons, while it gives DMs information on how to run a challenging new setting or enrich a current campaign.

The book introduces these new races:
  • Silverbrow Humans
  • Deepwyrm Drow/Half-Drow (Faerun)
  • Fireblood Dwarves
  • Forestlord Elves/Half-Elves
  • Stonehunter Gnomes
  • Glimmerskin Halflings
  • Viletooth Lizardfolk
  • Sunscorch Hobgoblins
  • Frostblood Orcs /Half-Orcs

Does anyone have this book? Has anyone used it in a campaign?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Dragon Magic (2006)

Postby FaerieGodfather » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:17 am

Dragon Magic is one of my favorite 3.X books, and the Dragonfire Adept is one of my favorite classes. I love draconic feats, and I've attempted multiple times to convert them, satisfactorily, into PF.
Viktyr C Gehrig
FaerieGodfather's RPG Site (Now with Forums!)
FaerieGodfather
Goblin

Postby Zeromaru X » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:45 am

Seems there is another book I need on my life now.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:50 am

Definitely a fun book. I really love combining some of the options in this one with the races from Races of the Dragon...the Spellscales were my favorite race from RotD.
In morte veritá.

Projects: Erath (TBD), Sundered Realms
Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby Khedrac » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:46 am

It's a good book, some of the stuff in it is for classes other than the original core books - not something that 3.5 books did often.
The Dragonfire Adept is an excellent support class (probably what the dragon shaman should have been). The book gives a nice range of options for flavoring campaign with dragons.
If you can only afford one book on dragons and have a choice between Races of the Dragon and Dragon Magic, I would say that DM is the much better book.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".
Khedrac
Ostego

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:43 pm

Havard wrote:Does anyone have this book? Has anyone used it in a campaign?

I do, but I've never opened it before. It's one of several books I bought, on a "there is a cheap copy online - I might as well give it a go" basis.

I also went looking for some information (and dropped some extra links on the Dragon Magic page on The Book-House on The Piazza).

I had a skim through, last night (while waiting for Maze Arcana to start). It seems like it would change a campaign a bit, so a GM should probably have a think about an "introduction strategy" rather than just dropping this into an existing campaign without any thought.

I figure that: "the world has changed", "these dudes come from a faraway land" or "wait until we start the next campaign" are the easiest way to have any disruption. But you could just as easily go with a retcon ("this has always been there, but you didn't notice before").

I saw some "Greyhawk-lite" elements and some Forgotten Realms references, so it would be easy to use those to leverage a connection to those worlds.

I didn't see anything about Eberron when I went looking for links, and I didn't spot an Eberron Expanded article for Dragon Magic, so you would need to engage your Emergency Keith Baker Hologram* if you wanted to use this with Eberron. But I'm sure it could be done, with a bit of thought. You would mostly need to think about how this crosses over with the territory of Dragonmarks. I wouldn't say: "Do not use the two together", but it's possible that you could earmark a lot of this stuff and use it with PCs with Dragonmarks or Aberrant Dragonmarks and massively expand the scope of what Dragonmarks do. (I might hunt around some more later, as it is possible that Keith has written something about this book at some stage. If I can't find anything, I might even start a split-off topic in the Eberron forum about giving this book an Eberron reboot.)

* = "Please state the nature of the Eberron emergency! :P

I think that it would be a lot of fun to use this book in a 3rd Edition Council of Wyrms game...or to retroconvert some of the ideas in this book into 2e rules, for use in a 2nd Edition AD&D Council of Wyrms game.

I'll have to have another look through this later, as it might give me some inspiration for Greyspace and Realmspace.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:50 pm

FaerieGodfather wrote:Dragon Magic is one of my favorite 3.X books, and the Dragonfire Adept is one of my favorite classes. I love draconic feats, and I've attempted multiple times to convert them, satisfactorily, into PF.

Thanks for delurking to tell us about this book. And Welcome to The Piazza! :)

You might want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic and tell us a bit about yourself and the stuff you like.

If you have done Pathfinder conversions of some of the stuff in Dragon Magic, perhaps you could even post your conversions in the Pathfinder forum at The Piazza (or link to them, if you have them hosted offsite). Maybe that could help some other fans. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Seems there is another book I need on my life now.

Welcome to the club. I've seen several conversations about books here, and then realised I wanted to buy a book.

I've also had conversations where I've asked questions that people have not known the answer to, bought a book as a gamble...and then been very happy that the gamble paid off, because books I got had undiscovered connections to settings I was interested in! :cool:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:05 pm

Angelika Tatsu wrote:Definitely a fun book. I really love combining some of the options in this one with the races from Races of the Dragon...the Spellscales were my favorite race from RotD.

There are a few other pairs of D&D books that are on similar themes.

How well does Races of the Dragon fit with this book? I see they both go for "draconic heriatage". Is there a clear one-to-one ratio between RotC stuff and DM stuff? Or would someone need to sit down with both and decide what works well together?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby willpell » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:02 am

DM wasn't the best book IMO; there are very few things in it which I would wish to use as-written. The dragon-blooded races are hamfisted, the DFA class is painfully linear and option-light, and the rest of the material is an inconsistent smattering. But I do like the way they consciously wrote the book from a very high concept (one likely inspired by Dragonlance, though I'm not aware of any actual connections) - use of dragons as political entities rather than just as monsters to slay. It's an interesting concept, well worth revisiting in some high-quality 5E-style treatise (I'd be deleriously happy if they used this material as inspiration to reboot Council of Wyrms in the modern era, since it badly needs updating). While Draconomicon is probably a more useful book for handling actual dragons, and Races of the Dragon does much better at providing dragon-flavored options for player characters, the lazily-titled DM is an effective bridge between the two, and worth getting just to complete the trifecta, for any campaign that plans to make full use of 3E's wide range of material (assuming, of course, that dragons feature heavily in said campaign).

Alas, no book provides the dragon resource that would be most useful - full in-game and in-world statistics for each dragon variety all on one page, so you don't need to keep flipping back and forth between the Monster Manual "general dragon info" section, the specific line for that size on the specific table for that color several pages further along in the MM, and possibly the size measurements, pictures, and other descriptive detail in Draconomicon (or, for player-character dragons, the table which clarifies their Effective Character Level and age in years). A convenient one-stop-shop for making dragons easy to run would be well worth padding a page count for, something that Wotco historically does with thoroughly unnecessary blocks of text instead. ("What do the elves think of this bold new direction in dwarven armor-fighting technique? Opinions vary depending on which of the following named NPCs you consult; here's an exhaustive sequence of meta-analyses of the riddle contests they each challenged us to, in lieu of answering directly.")
willpell
White Dragon

Return to D&D 3rd Edition