Monk fixes

Published 2000 & 2003.
The Book-House: Find 3.0 Edition products, Find 3.5 Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Monk fixes

Postby Ashtagon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:22 am

Everyone knows monks don't do what they say on the packet. Throw your favourite monk fixes at me.

d20 SRD monk: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm
PRD monk: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/core ... /monk.html

Currently, I'm thinking along the lines of:

Full Base Attack Bonus: It's supposed to be a front-line combatant. It should act like one.

Flurry of Blows: Complete re-write (which also renders Greater Flurry obsolete). Two changes. First, monks never suffer any attack penalty for using flurry of blows. Second, instead of consuming a full-round action, the following applies:

Flurry of Blows (Ex): When unarmoured and making either a standard of full attack with a monk weapon or unarmed strike, a monk may make a single additional attack as a swift action. This additional attack is at their full base attack bonus, and must be made with either a monk weapon or an unarmed strike.

When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies their Strength bonus (not Str bonus × 1½ or ×½) to their damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether they wield a weapon in one or both hands. The monk can't use any weapon other than a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows.

(Note that this monk fix assumes the wider problem of full attacks forcing a "fight or move" decision on melee characters generally has not been fixed.)

Unarmed Strike: If a monk is using a special monk weapon, the monk may choose to use the monk's unarmed strike damage instead of the weapon's base damage if this is higher. (Note that this subtly favours smaller weapons over two-handed ones. That is intentional.)

Ex-Monks: Monks can multiclass freely, just like any other class.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Return to D&D 3rd Edition