Sun & Scale: The Gryphon's Legacy [d20]

Published 2000 & 2003.
The Book-House: Find 3.0 Edition products, Find 3.5 Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Sun & Scale: The Gryphon's Legacy [d20]

Postby Knightfall » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:58 am

looking through this module I own...
Link

This module was written by Wolfgang Baur and gives the basics for a setting called Sun & Scale. It was published by a (now defunct?) company called Gaslight Press. The module's quality is quite good with a black and white layout.

It was supposed to be the first module of a new campaign setting. The primary lands are The Sun Empire and The Kingdom of Meriador. What I wonder is who owes the rights to the Sun & Scale campaign setting? Does it belong to Gaslight or to Wolfgang? If it belongs to Mr. Baur, is it related to Midgard in any way?

Just some musings...
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Sun & Scale: The Gryphon's Legacy [d20]

Postby Tim Baker » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:04 am

Knightfall wrote:looking through this module I own...
Link

This module was written by Wolfgang Baur and gives the basics for a setting called Sun & Scale. It was published by a (now defunct?) company called Gaslight Press. The module's quality is quite good with a black and white layout.

It was supposed to be the first module of a new campaign setting. The primary lands are The Sun Empire and The Kingdom of Meriador. What I wonder is who owes the rights to the Sun & Scale campaign setting? Does it belong to Gaslight or to Wolfgang? If it belongs to Mr. Baur, is it related to Midgard in any way?

Just some musings...

The rights are held by Richard Rowan, who was the head of Gaslight Press. I've had some online conversations with Richard about this setting. He said there was a second adventure written that was never published. He was working to get the 2nd adventure (and possibly The Gryphon's Legacy, too) published using 13th Age or Pathfinder rules. That was a couple years ago, and with D&D 5e's popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up being the system of choice if this is ever released, although that's just conjecture on my part.

Perhaps if enough people enjoyed the adventure as much as you and I did and show their support on this thread, it will help to move the project forward. :)
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Someone going by the name of Oberton ran a Sun and Scale campaign over on EN World, back in 2002. It looks like he last posted in January 2017.

I can't find anyone else talking about the setting (yet). So far, it looks like Oberton might be the leading world expert on this (with the exception of Wolfgang Baur himself of course).

Perhaps, if you PM him over there, he might be willing to share some of his notes.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:39 pm

On Google+, Wolfgang Baur stated that the name of the 2nd adventure was going to be The Zombie Wood.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Tim Baker » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:40 pm

Big Mac wrote:Someone going by the name of Oberton ran a Sun and Scale campaign over on EN World, back in 2002. It looks like he last posted in January 2017.

Good find! I'll check it out.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Knightfall » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:17 am

Tim Baker wrote:On Google+, Wolfgang Baur stated that the name of the 2nd adventure was going to be The Zombie Wood.

And I did see on the Google+ forum for Kobold Press that the adventure has an semi-official locale on Midgard. He stated that it should be on the border between Doresh and Grisal in the hills. He also mentioned a placement for it in the West, but I didn't write that one down.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Return to D&D 3rd Edition