Shadow Walk

Published 2000 & 2003.
The Book-House: Find 3.0 Edition products, Find 3.5 Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Kylun
Orc

Shadow Walk

Post by Kylun » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:04 pm

I've been playing D&D since the 80's, which means I started with 1st ed AD&D, came up to 3E/d20 and stopped there because 4th didn't do a thing for me and I'm not all that into 5th. However, in the 30 years or so I've been playing and DMing my group has never (literally, never) had a wizard in the group. Had clerics & druids, bards, stuff like that, but never a full-on wizard or sorcerer. So, I'm feeling my way through the spells and that leads to my question:

Through the use of shadow cache (Manual of the Planes) the PCs lost an item they need. So the cool thing to do is step into the Plane of Shadow and track down the item. I think between the Player's Handbook and Manual of the Planes I'm reading it correctly, but want to double check: can they actually use shadow walk to enter the Plane of Shadow and wander freely? Or do they have to stay on the boarder and just use it as a transit spell?
"All of my accomplishments have been by my own hand, my failures my own undoing. No one, not man nor god has dictated my fate."

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Shadow Walk

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:33 pm

Hypertext SRD has a page with the Shadow Walk spell on it.

Reading that, I can't see anything to stop you going on a mission to search for your item.

There are a couple of things to bear in mind:
  • Your spellcaster can take one other creature with them per level,
  • The spell lasts one hour per level,
  • People can move at 50 miles per hour on the Plane of Shadow,
  • It takes 1d4 hours to find your way to a different plane via the Plane of Shadow.
  • If anyone wanders away from the spellcaster they have a 50 percent chance of stumbling back to the Material Plane otherwise they might end up wandering around for the rest of the spell duration.
The third novel in the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy had a fun section where the protagonist went to an abandoned fishing village and then got onto the Shadowfell (the 4e name for the Plane of Shadow) and explored a shadow duplicate of the fishing village. Perhaps you could borrow from that idea and get your PCs to explore a shadow duplicate of the place where they lost the item.

It might be fun for you to reuse some maps and make some adjustements (broken bridges could be intact in the Plane of Shadow), demolished buildings could still be there. Rivers could have slightly different paths. There could be some new buildings that only exist in the Plane of Shadow. :twisted:

And if the PCs travel outside of the immediate area, you could work out how long they travel and multiply they by 50 miles to get them to other villages, towns or cities on your campaign maps.

Are there any NPCs that might be after the item your PCs have in the nearby area? Would they be able to also enter the Plane of Shadow and try to get to the item before the PCs get there?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Kylun
Orc

Post by Kylun » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:33 pm

Reading that, I can't see anything to stop you going on a mission to search for your item.

• It takes 1d4 hours to find your way to a different plane via the Plane of Shadow.
  • If anyone wanders away from the spellcaster they have a 50 percent chance of stumbling back to the Material Plane otherwise they might end up wandering around for the rest of the spell duration.
Thanks, Big Mac...can always count on you for a good reply! ;)

I had picked up on pretty much everything here except the 50 mph overland movement. 3rd Edition Player's Handbook and Manual of the Planes states travel is faster, but it is very vague on how much faster. I may not have them go quite this fast, but it gives me a good starting point.

Also, in my campaign there is the faerie realm of Tir na Nog, a twilight other world that is just to the left of the material world, the Plane of Shadow boarders between the two of them. I like the idea of throwing in some traps that separates certain party members and drops them out of the Plane of Shadow and giving a percentage chance of them dropping either into the Known World or Tir na Nog.
The third novel in the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy had a fun section where the protagonist went to an abandoned fishing village and then got onto the Shadowfell (the 4e name for the Plane of Shadow) and explored a shadow duplicate of the fishing village. Perhaps you could borrow from that idea and get your PCs to explore a shadow duplicate of the place where they lost the item.
I haven't read a D&D novel since the (somewhat disappointing) War of Souls trilogy. Haven't read a Realms book since the Avatar trilogy.
It might be fun for you to reuse some maps and make some adjustements (broken bridges could be intact in the Plane of Shadow), demolished buildings could still be there. Rivers could have slightly different paths. There could be some new buildings that only exist in the Plane of Shadow. :twisted:
I imagined something like this in planning out "familiar" areas to them. I was picturing something like the two worlds from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
"All of my accomplishments have been by my own hand, my failures my own undoing. No one, not man nor god has dictated my fate."

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:19 pm

Kylun wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:26 pm
Big Mac wrote:

Thanks, Big Mac...can always count on you for a good reply! ;)

I had picked up on pretty much everything here except the 50 mph overland movement. 3rd Edition Player's Handbook and Manual of the Planes states travel is faster, but it is very vague on how much faster. I may not have them go quite this fast, but it gives me a good starting point.
You can probably have people travel slower than 50 MPH, if you want to. The character in the Blades of the Moonsea novels didn't seem to be travelling that fast. But it might be interesting to use it as a possible speed, so that the monsters can circle around and try to surround the PCs, until the PCs realise they can outrun them.
Kylun wrote:
Also, in my campaign there is the faerie realm of Tir na Nog, a twilight other world that is just to the left of the material world, the Plane of Shadow boarders between the two of them. I like the idea of throwing in some traps that separates certain party members and drops them out of the Plane of Shadow and giving a percentage chance of them dropping either into the Known World or Tir na Nog.
Ripvanwormer did a map of the Plane of Shadow for Greyhawk. Havard did some earlier maps for Mystara, but I can't find one for the Known World.

I don't know Mystara enough to know if Tir na Nog is one of the planes of the Known World, but I think I've heard it used for the name of a region in the Outlands (Concordant Opposition).

You might get some better advice, if I got a moderator to shunt this topic over to the Planescape forum.
Kylun wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
I imagined something like this in planning out "familiar" areas to them. I was picturing something like the two worlds from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
I don't know that game. I took a quick look at the WIkipedia article for Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. There might be a similar thing to the Ing in Planescape's cosmology or in the BECMI cosmology, but it's outside my area of expertise.

Perhaps someone could help you find a similar monster that you can tweak to turn into something that lives on the Plane of Shadow.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:19 pm
Kylun wrote:
Ripvanwormer did a map of the Plane of Shadow for Greyhawk. Havard did some earlier maps for Mystara, but I can't find one for the Known World.
There are a couple of references to Mystara's Plane of Shadow, mainly in the AD&D Red Steel MMC, but I made the assumption that this is another name for Limbo, which I made a map of here.
I don't know Mystara enough to know if Tir na Nog is one of the planes of the Known World, but I think I've heard it used for the name of a region in the Outlands (Concordant Opposition).
I don't know if Kylun is referring to Mystara's Known World when he uses the name Known World, but it does sound like Tir na Nog is from his home campaign. I assume it corresponds to the Feywood.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “D&D 3rd Edition”