Regdar, the 3e Iconic was named after Gerrard Capashen

Published 2000 & 2003.
The Book-House: Find 3.0 Edition products, Find 3.5 Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Regdar, the 3e Iconic was named after Gerrard Capashen

Post by Big Mac » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:28 am

Back in 2016 we had a topic about the fact that Regdar was killed off in lots of artwork as part of some sneakyness by TSR artists.

Now, Jeff Grubb has revealed that the Regdar got his name after some similar sneakyness by Jonathan Tweet and himself:
Jeff Grubb on Todd Lockwood's Facebook page wrote:Regdar is an anagram for Gerard (of the Weatherlight), another character that, um, "weighted to appeal to anchor demographic".
I asked for clarification and got some more detail on this story:
Big Mac on on Todd Lockwood's Facebook page wrote:Is that a coincidence Jeff? Or is it an official 3rd Edition Easter Egg fact?

#AskingForAGeekFriend
Here we go with the replies:
Skip WIlliams on Todd Lockwood's Facebook page wrote:Someone asked Jonathan Tweet to name the character. Jonathan suggested "Gerard." When that name was rejected, Jonathan immediately suggested "Regdar." A certain trio of designers got quite a kick out of that.
...and...
Jeff Grubb on Todd Lockwood's Facebook page wrote:I will take the blame for the "Gerard" suggestion - Jonathan put out an email asking for suggestions that that was mine. I could hear him laughing from three cubes over. And yes, Gerard was another situation of "anchor demographic" (love than phrase) requested change to a project. If I remember correctly (and this went down shortly before I arrived), Sisay was going to be the protagonist of the series.
...and...
Big Mac on on Todd Lockwood's Facebook page wrote:So this guy?:
https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Gerrard_Capashen
...and...
Jeff Grubb on Todd Lockwood's Facebook page wrote: Yeppers
...and...
Todd Lockwood on on Todd Lockwood's Facebook page wrote:I personally hated the name Regdar. :oP
...and...
Skip WIlliams on Todd Lockwood's Facebook page wrote:Jeff Grubb Ah! Another "blank" filled in!
...and...
Todd Lockwood on on Todd Lockwood's Facebook page wrote:At one point I heard "Graedar" going around and thought that was acceptable. But Regdar is corny. Now I see that it was a mean-spirited name. :oP
So there you have it. "Gerrard" in Gerrard Capashen actually has an extra "R" that the "Gerard" that Jeff Grubb got Jonathan Tweet to suggest. But this is the origin story of Regdar.

I don't know if there are any other similarities between Regdar and Gerrard Capashen.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: Regdar, the 3e Iconic was named after Gerrard Capashen

Post by willpell » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:28 am
I don't know if there are any other similarities between Regdar and Gerrard Capashen.
Not really. They're both warriors, that's about it.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:00 am

I love this story. Thanks for sharing it!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:33 am

Thanks for sharing. It is always interesting to learn about the Iconic characters.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “D&D 3rd Edition”