[3e] Splat books: Sword and Fist, Defenders of Faith etc.

Published 2000 & 2003.
The Book-House: Find 3.0 Edition products, Find 3.5 Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

rabindranath72
White Dragon

[3e] Splat books: Sword and Fist, Defenders of Faith etc.

Post by rabindranath72 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:41 pm

Are they any good? I am not interested at all into new feats. I am moderately interested into Prestige Classes if they are generic enough and have a strong theme. I am definitely interested into campaign options stuff, like organizations, societies etc.
Given these desiderata, are the splat books useful? What are your experiences with them?

Thanks
Antonio

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Re: [3e] Splat books: Sword and Fist, Defenders of Faith etc

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Most of the rules material presented in the Splat Books was updated and re-released in the various 3.5 books... That said, I quite enjoy them. For one, most of them have a section that was never reproduced detailing a typical dwelling of that character type. My favorites are a wizard's tower found in Tome and Blood, and the monk's cloister from Sword and Fist.
Additionally, theres a few good sidebars with historical background and optional rules which are not found elsewhere.
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:Most of the rules material presented in the Splat Books was updated and re-released in the various 3.5 books... That said, I quite enjoy them. For one, most of them have a section that was never reproduced detailing a typical dwelling of that character type. My favorites are a wizard's tower found in Tome and Blood, and the monk's cloister from Sword and Fist.
Additionally, theres a few good sidebars with historical background and optional rules which are not found elsewhere.
I use 3e, so I tend to overlook the 3.5 stuff if there is an equivalent 3e.

RE: the dwellings, that is the kind of information I like! Historical notes are also interesting.

I guess I will try to get them, then...I have seen a few around for very few £££.

Thanks for the input!
Antonio

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:29 pm

I like them. Each describes various organizations for PCs to either join or fight. Any of the actual rules, though, whether feats, prestige classes, equipment, or optional stuff, should be looked at closely before used. IIRC, many people consider the various rules broken. One that comes to mind is the way Tome and Blood describes prestidigitation. It allows you to change an object into another object, as long as it stays within the same kingdom (animal, vegetable, mineral). I remember threads on the old WotC boards where people suggested turning bits of scrap metal into gold or even platinum coins. No other examples come to mind (it's been a while), so it's possible that I'm not remembering correctly. Still worth picking up, I think. Some of the rules can benefit the game. Some of the organizations I liked were the Arcane Order, the Order of the Chalice, and the Knight Protectors of the Great Kingdom.
- Selman

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:56 pm

Despite that I play 3.5, I still use material from those five 3.0 suppliments. There are a handful of prestige classes among them that were never translated into the later 3.5 books. If you can get them cheaply, I'm sure you'll find something useful and inspiring in each one.
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

Gladhven
Orc

Post by Gladhven » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:06 am

Song and Silence has great foundations for organizations. As long as you don't mind putting in some creative effort(or using the example.) It also has good premade bardic colleges, though as I recall, they provide little in game benefit and thus appeal mostly to roleplay focused groups. It also has notes on flanking that have helped make some important calls. Masters of the Wild doesn't have a lot of organizations. It does have notes on playing the classes it is aimed at, as well as many prestige classes that may appeal to any class(any spellcaster can become an Oozemaster, With very slight modification, Bane of Infidels becomes a high priest of Vecna, In a naval campaign, anyone might want to become a King/Queen of the Sea, etc.) Tome and blood also has a good list of organizations. I've only glanced at Sword and Fist a couple of times and don't own a copy, and haven't managed to find a good copy of Defenders of Faith.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:07 am

I got them all in the end, and indeed they are really good; tons of campaign info, in particular, and generic enough prestige classes.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:18 pm

I'll be using a variation of the Blighter prestige class when the heroes from Thorn's Chronicle reach Alfheim. Masters of the Wild and Song and Silence were packed with juicy stuff that doesn't take a lot of re-working to make fit any campaign setting.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:Most of the rules material presented in the Splat Books was updated and re-released in the various 3.5 books... That said, I quite enjoy them. For one, most of them have a section that was never reproduced detailing a typical dwelling of that character type. My favorites are a wizard's tower found in Tome and Blood, and the monk's cloister from Sword and Fist.
I'm interested in the content in these books that is not duplicated in 3.5 books.

Is it possible to work out what parts of these books didn't get updated?

Is there an obvious mapping of these books to 3.5 books, or were bits randomly reused?

I'm wondering how to work out if I should buy one or more of these books, or buy a replacement book. :?
Philosopher wrote:I like them. Each describes various organizations for PCs to either join or fight. Any of the actual rules, though, whether feats, prestige classes, equipment, or optional stuff, should be looked at closely before used. IIRC, many people consider the various rules broken. One that comes to mind is the way Tome and Blood describes prestidigitation. It allows you to change an object into another object, as long as it stays within the same kingdom (animal, vegetable, mineral). I remember threads on the old WotC boards where people suggested turning bits of scrap metal into gold or even platinum coins. No other examples come to mind (it's been a while), so it's possible that I'm not remembering correctly. Still worth picking up, I think. Some of the rules can benefit the game. Some of the organizations I liked were the Arcane Order, the Order of the Chalice, and the Knight Protectors of the Great Kingdom.
How many organisations do you think I would get from collecting all of these books?

Are these organisations made available in the 3.5 books that Gawain_VIII mentioned?

Are any of the organisations tied to the Greyhawk campaign setting?

(Does the Order of the Chalice sound similar to the Company of the Chalice, from Spelljammer?)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:54 am

The Order of the Chalice is indeed similar to Spelljammer's Company of the Chalice. There's more detail on them in Complete Warrior and the Players Handbook II, summarized in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16438

Return to “D&D 3rd Edition”