[Tool] Javascript D&D 3.5 Character Generator

Published 2000 & 2003.
The Book-House: Find 3.0 Edition products, Find 3.5 Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Tool] Javascript D&D 3.5 Character Generator

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:57 am

The Secret DM (from Facebook) has struck again. This time with a link to something called Javascript D&D 3.5 Character Generator
Javascript D&D 3.5 Character Generator wrote:This little program is my gift to my fellow-gamers, and my way of saying "thank you" to the hobby's developers. Over a quarter-century, I have enjoyed a cordial relationship with people at TSR/WOTC. In return, I'm glad to help make the process of character creation easier for everyone. Happy adventuring!

If you want to save your character's html file to your hard drive, Netscape seems to work better. Many people have found that saving them as Word documents works well. For some browsers, the best way to save the character sheet is to select "print" and save in .pdf format.

If this page fails to load completely, click here.

Please be sure your browser is javascript-enabled and your java and javascript consoles are current. You may need to turn off your anti-popup program.
I had seen this in the past, but forgotten about it. There is a lot of options to select, so it looks a bit overwhelming, but if you give it a go you might find that it saves you a bit of time. It would certainly be good for a gaming group, where you have several novice players, who all need help making their characters. If you could set up several computers on a computer network a single person could hop from player to player showing them the options on the page. That might be a little bit easier than having them all clustered around one person who was flipping rulebooks. :cool:

Two other great things about the tool is that the creator is happy for other people to download and modify it (and is keeping it online):
Javascript D&D 3.5 Character Generator wrote:You are more than welcome to download these generators to your own computers and share them with your friends. Simply use your browser's "File -- Save" function to your hard disk. If you modify them, please give credit to me as original programmer, and do not make an evil-oriented generator.

Of course, I am grateful to TSR/WOTC, who developed and own the game system and graciously allow others to work with it. This page, which will be continually under construction, is intended to help people begin enjoying adventure gaming. This and my other generators will stay online indefinitely despite the upcoming fourth edition.
The ability to actually modify the tool is going to make it really useful for any GM who wants to invent their own races (or convert races from previous editions of D&D to 3.5). And the same applies to new classes. A GM could possibly even remove options that they want to exclude from their own campaign and make the tool into a bespoke character creation tool that gives their players everything they need to roll up PCs. :cool:

And with many of us being fans of out of print D&D settings, I'd love to see some people putting up new versions of the Character Generator that help work with converted settings. Spelljammer might be a little bit tricky (as there are so many possible races that could be added on) but we have enough Mystara fans here that I'd be disapointed if I did not see a modified version of this on VoP, when the Mystara 3e project gets enough stuff done.

EDIT: Crossposted to the Mystara 3e Conversion Project and the Spelljammer 3e Conversion Project. (It would probably be best to discuss the setting-bespoke options over there, but feel free to talk about the modification process in this thread.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Re: [Tool] Javascript D&D 3.5 Character Generator

Post by Dave L » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:47 pm

I have used this a few times and have it downloaded on my computer, but hadn't realised it could be modified. Nice! :)

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:58 pm

I've also used this. I wish he (or someone) would make a version for Pathfinder. I'm not a programmer, I'm afraid.
- Selman

The Secret DM™
Orc

Post by The Secret DM™ » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:57 am

Big Mac wrote:The Secret DM (from Facebook) has struck again.
Ooh...I like this! Thanks again for the nod -- you never know where The Secret DM™ might strike! (I feel like The Shadow...not the Baldwin version. Maybe the Baldwin version.)

I didn't realize it could be modified either! Granted, I no longer play 3e, but in hindsight...that sounds like it would've been so helpful.

Pathguy also has other Character Generator scripts (including ones for Ravenloft and Dark Sun), which you can access by going to his route site: http://www.pathguy.com and looking under the "FUN" category on the right side.

I'll keep my eyes out for other user-created software that could prove helpful to the folks here @ The Piazza.

Thanks again!
The Secret DM™ is just an average guy, trying to navigate the complexities of a successful career, a happy marriage, and raising a daughter…all while secretly rescuing damsels from fire-breathing dragons. Visit him at http://www.facebook.com/secretdm or http://www.thesecretdm.com, or contact him at: thesecretdm@gmail.com. Happy Adventuring!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:54 pm

The Secret DM™ wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The Secret DM (from Facebook) has struck again.
Ooh...I like this! Thanks again for the nod -- you never know where The Secret DM™ might strike! (I feel like The Shadow...not the Baldwin version. Maybe the Baldwin version.)
Mind you. You might be this secret DM:
;)
The Secret DM™ wrote:I didn't realize it could be modified either! Granted, I no longer play 3e, but in hindsight...that sounds like it would've been so helpful.

Pathguy also has other Character Generator scripts (including ones for Ravenloft and Dark Sun), which you can access by going to his route site: http://www.pathguy.com and looking under the "FUN" category on the right side.
Brilliant! I just saw James Eric Bass (on Facebook) mention that. Here is a list of ones connected to campaign settings: (I think maybe the people at The Piazza can help get that FR Character Generator finished. :twisted: )

And here are two non-setting specific ones:
The Secret DM™ wrote:I'll keep my eyes out for other user-created software that could prove helpful to the folks here @ The Piazza.

Thanks again!
No thank you, Secret DM! <said as he flies off into the sunset on the back of a wyvern> :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “D&D 3rd Edition”