Converting BECMI Dragons to 3e

Published 2000 & 2003.
The Book-House: Find 3.0 Edition products, Find 3.5 Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Re: Converting BECMI Dragons to 3e

Post by enderxenocide0 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:02 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:True, though I suspect that Ceremonies of Sublimation as presented for BECMI is one of those things that really doesn't survive the transition between editions very well. For my part, I'd either ignore it or look into how to modify that article, as opposed to modifying the baseline dragons across the board in order to try and preserve it as is.
Being a complete newcomer to this conversation, would anyone have a simple summary for what a Ceremony of Sublimation is or does? From the context, I'm assuming it's a ritual of some sort that grants the dragons additional abilities. If that's the case, 3E has a couple different solutions to represent this:

1. Templates - As long as templates can stack, you can continue to add them onto a creature.
2. Feats - The dragons gain feats as they progress in hit dice and they don't have to be the ones listed in the Monster Manuals.
3. Rituals/Rites - These appeared a handful of times in 3E books and are a set of effects that are granted to an individual for performing a specific task. They are often presented in a fashion similar to feats.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: Converting BECMI Dragons to 3e

Post by rabindranath72 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:32 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:True, though I suspect that Ceremonies of Sublimation as presented for BECMI is one of those things that really doesn't survive the transition between editions very well. For my part, I'd either ignore it or look into how to modify that article, as opposed to modifying the baseline dragons across the board in order to try and preserve it as is.
Being a complete newcomer to this conversation, would anyone have a simple summary for what a Ceremony of Sublimation is or does? From the context, I'm assuming it's a ritual of some sort that grants the dragons additional abilities. If that's the case, 3E has a couple different solutions to represent this:

1. Templates - As long as templates can stack, you can continue to add them onto a creature.
2. Feats - The dragons gain feats as they progress in hit dice and they don't have to be the ones listed in the Monster Manuals.
3. Rituals/Rites - These appeared a handful of times in 3E books and are a set of effects that are granted to an individual for performing a specific task. They are often presented in a fashion similar to feats.
It's just an ex-post "explanation" to tie the different dragon types found in the Basic Set (small dragons) and Companion Set (large and huge dragons.) It's postulated that a small dragon may become a large dragon, which in turn may become a huge dragon. The real difference between these types is a steady increase in HD, and gaining of more attacks, better AC etc.
Since an ageing element is introduced in the whole process of moving from small to huge, it's really not a stretch to "split" the 12 different age categories into three broad groups. This is the solution I have used in the past, and it has worked well.

Return to “D&D 3rd Edition”