A brilliant idea to make the gaming industry more lucrative

Troll posts and threads that deserve to die will be moved here, instead of being deleted. This way, they will be preserved for administrative review later.
willpell
Black Dragon

A brilliant idea to make the gaming industry more lucrative

Post by willpell » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:46 pm

All the people who are currently fighting to stop the pirating of their precious intellectual property...instead, they should each run their own officially sanctioned RPG sessions, and charge for admission. Tell me you wouldn't pay $20 or $50 or even $200 for the chance to kill kobolds at Monte Cook's table. (Actually Monte is probably worth way more than that; those prices probably better suit somebody a bit less famous, but I'm unsurprisingly at a loss to name such a person.)

Granted, they could do both of those things at once. But if they made all their material freeware, it'd be easier for potential customers to build a character that fits into their gameworld, and thus show up at their venue ready to play. The stamp of officialdom alone would more than suffice to make up for getting the product free, I believe.

I believe that charging directly for the time and energy of these individuals is a more ethical funding method than the current business model of the RPG industry.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Re: A brilliant idea to make the gaming industry more lucrat

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:01 am

willpell wrote:All the people who are currently fighting to stop the pirating of their precious intellectual property...instead, they should each run their own officially sanctioned RPG sessions, and charge for admission.
I'm afraid we don't do topics at The Piazza that criticise gamer designers for defending their IP rights.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Black Pudding”