Gaz XF1 The Islands of Dread - collating information

Continuing the Gazetteer and Module Tradition Beyond the Known World.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, OldDawg

Re: Gaz XF1 The Islands of Dread - collating information

Postby Cthulhudrew » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:10 pm

LordJuss wrote:While we're about it, has anyone any thoughts on how to deal with the mismatch between X7 and PC3 as regards Suthus being a city of Tritons vs Shark-Kin?

I've often wondered myself. Perhaps it is an outpost for a reclamation project by the Tritons of the Sunlit Sea, or a solitary holdout of former Tritons that haven't been driven out from the region. Either way, they'd be continually at war with the Shark-kin in the region, perhaps even the city itself is a city at war. There really isn't all that much detail about Suthus given in X7, so there is some leeway for such a reconciliation of the two products.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:34 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:I've often wondered myself. Perhaps it is an outpost for a reclamation project by the Tritons of the Sunlit Sea, or a solitary holdout of former Tritons that haven't been driven out from the region. Either way, they'd be continually at war with the Shark-kin in the region, perhaps even the city itself is a city at war. There really isn't all that much detail about Suthus given in X7, so there is some leeway for such a reconciliation of the two products.

I like the idea of the city being built by Tritons, but now being partially occupied by Shark-Kin. Lots of potential there! :twisted:

I love how inconsistancies keep providing us with cool ideas!

Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:27 pm

I agree. This could be an entire subsetting: A once-majestic city of Tritons (perhaps built on an even greater Taymoran city - I don't have the map handy), conquered by shark-kin, and now a battlefield as the tritons seek to regain one of their great cultural or religious centres. Numerous factions are at work, and the battle lines shift constantly among the buildings and the catacombs. To make things more interesting, perhaps there is a cache of rare Taymoran artefacts buried here, that the tritons are trying to secure before the shark-kin and their allies discover them?

Geoff
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Gawain_VIII » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:06 pm

So, what y'all are saying is that we have here is an aquatic microcosm of Isreal/Palestine? --Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby OldDawg » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:41 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:I agree. This could be an entire subsetting:...

Making XF1 essentially a boxed set? Why not.
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.
OldDawg
Troll

Postby LordJuss » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:32 pm

I like the ideas but I'm not certain I'd include Suthus in XF1 for a few reasons.

Firstly I think the module is better focussed outside the sunlit sea on the Sea of Dread proper. Secondly I'm not certain Suthus fits in with the proposed 'feel' of the module that well. Thirdly I suspect it's going to to be big enough on its own (there are lots of islands) and finally I think these ideas for Suthus are so good they deserve their own module.

However, if OD decides he want it, that's OK by me.

Cheers,

LJ.
LordJuss
Hobgoblin

Postby Havard » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:04 pm

It would be interesting if you would consider implementing some information from AD&D module such as GA1 The Murky Deep, Evil Tide (details Angler Island) and Apocalypse Stone (which has an island specified to be located south of Ierendi if set in Mystara).

I always liked how OldDawg included mention of AD&D modules in the gazetteers he authors.
Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby cab » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:26 pm

I'll start on Arachne as and when I've got time...

As a rough idea, how much info is required? Maps of course, alongside whats there already and more info on the City of Hearts etc. My own map is currently a pencil sketch, I mak ask for help on that bit...

We're statting it as for classic (RC) D&D?
cab
Storm Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:50 pm

yes - I think it's supposed to be OD&D.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:29 pm

Havard wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:I've often wondered myself. Perhaps it is an outpost for a reclamation project by the Tritons of the Sunlit Sea, or a solitary holdout of former Tritons that haven't been driven out from the region. Either way, they'd be continually at war with the Shark-kin in the region, perhaps even the city itself is a city at war. There really isn't all that much detail about Suthus given in X7, so there is some leeway for such a reconciliation of the two products.

I like the idea of the city being built by Tritons, but now being partially occupied by Shark-Kin. Lots of potential there! :twisted:

I love how inconsistancies keep providing us with cool ideas!

Hi folks - thanks to the map Havard posted for X7, I just noticed the label for Suthus. This reminds me of something Rotipher and I were discussing about the shark-kin, tritons and kopru. In ancient times the shark-kin were the favored puppets of the kopru (in part because there wasn't a large selection of puppets to choose from). When tritons came on the scene, the kopru found them much better suited for control (the tritons could probably perform much more complicated tasks and had easier, less bestial, minds to control).

What if this shared city dates back to a time when both shark-kin and triton were being controlled by the kopru. Then for some reason (possibly thermal vents in the area cool down) the kopru abandon the city and the "peace" between the two races deteriorates. Not sure how that might fit with GazF continuity, but thought I'd throw it out.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby xoronthran » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:22 am

Regarding the Aquapopulous War - I agree the merpeople were probably from Twaelar, but the humans I believe were either Tanagoron or Makai. This is due to Kuat "the "Dragon-Hearted's mission to discover the island of his ancestors. Kuat being a name that would be of Tanagoron or Makai origin and Kuat is in Specularum at the start of XSolo.
xoronthran
Orc

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:12 am

xoronthran wrote:Regarding the Aquapopulous War - I agree the merpeople were probably from Twaelar, but the humans I believe were either Tanagoron or Makai. This is due to Kuat "the "Dragon-Hearted's mission to discover the island of his ancestors. Kuat being a name that would be of Tanagoron or Makai origin and Kuat is in Specularum at the start of XSolo.

There is also the mention of Oloron, the sky-god who has a temple built on the central plateau on the Isle of Dread. I presume that Oloron was supposed to be based on Olorun, the Yoruba sky/sun god, which would suggest that the people of the eastern Thanegioth Archipelago, like their western "cousins," are Tanagoro in origins.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Kilr Kowalski » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:11 pm

Re: Maps.

I don't know if anyone else has access to this but Google Images just Popped it up one time when I was looking for maps.

(in Italian again though. Now I'm happy I spent 7 years learning it, 22 years ago.)
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bzji2iPWMqnvVklkOVVCaWJaMWM

I think it is adapted from one of Thorf's maps.

EDIT: And now i found it again at the Vaults. :P oh well
Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Postby LordJuss » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:56 am

Hi all,

Just to say I do actually have a 50-60% done Sea of Dread Gaz but then I had another baby and my social life fell once more into smoking ruin. I'm intending to get back on it in the next few weeks.

LJ.
LordJuss
Hobgoblin

Previous

Return to GazF Mystara