Adri Varma Fan Gazetteer - Now in English!

Continuing the Gazetteer and Module Tradition Beyond the Known World.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, OldDawg

Adri Varma Fan Gazetteer - Now in English!

Postby Mortis » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:04 pm

Here's the first draft of the English version - I haven't done the maps yet!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByA87L ... sp=sharing

Regards
Gary

Moderator Edit: Split from the discussion of the Gazetteer in Italian: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=15142
-Dragon Turtle
Mortis
Hill Giant

Re: Adri Varma Fan Gazetteer - Now in English!

Postby Sturm » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:26 pm

Great work Mortis!
Sturm
Black Dragon

Re: Re: Adri Varma Fan Gazetteer - Now in English!

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:42 pm

Mortis wrote:Here's the first draft of the English version - I haven't done the maps yet!

Nice work Mortis. Would some signal boost or a call for proofreaders help?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Re: Adri Varma Fan Gazetteer - Now in English!

Postby Omnibius » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Great work Mortis!
Omnibius
Orc

Adri Varma Fan Gazetteer - Now in English! 3

Postby Mortis » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:54 pm

Big Mac wrote:Nice work Mortis. Would some signal boost or a call for proofreaders help?

It wouldn't hurt, would it?

Anyway, here's the final(?) version with the maps done. I did have a bit of trouble with the first map (24 miles/hex). So, as the second map (8 miles/hex) covered all of the plateau I used that instead. The second map is now a cropped version of the first - focusing more on Gulluvia.

Regards
Gary

P.S. THe Great Waste is next, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to post it as it will include material from Champions of Mystara
Mortis
Hill Giant

Postby Havard » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Mortis wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Nice work Mortis. Would some signal boost or a call for proofreaders help?

Anyway, here's the final(?) version with the maps done. I did have a bit of trouble with the first map (24 miles/hex). So, as the second map (8 miles/hex) covered all of the plateau I used that instead. The second map is now a cropped version of the first - focusing more on Gulluvia.

Regards
Gary

P.S. THe Great Waste is next, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to post it as it will include material from Champions of Mystara

Wow! This looks great!

Downloaded and reading through it now!

Edit: Added to the list of Fan Productions here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=513&start=100

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:29 pm

Mortis wrote:

It looks like someone has beaten me to it. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:20 pm

Feedback from Michael G posted on Facebook:

Michael G wrote:One quibble right off the bat--the Adri Varma plateau is to the northwest of Glantri, not the northeast. The baron's family may be Hattian, but the common folk are more likely to be Averoigne.

Then added some more detail:

Michael G wrote:Finished it
The good:
The Oghriz could be used as a template for similar tribes throughout the interior of Brun--with few natural barriers and defenses to separate them, the difference between 'human' and 'humanoid' is likely a matter of degree.
If one wanted to risk bringing a lot of our current world into the campaign, the oi-rich oghriz are the logical starting point for that threat to the Known World.
Everything's written for a recent edition, but translation to BECMI/RC/Gazeteer rules opens up some interesting possibilities for the plateau. We already know Vanya, Ixion and at least two entropics have interests there. Add a human baroness who combines fighting and magic. Unless she's actually a closet half-elf, the only way this is possible under Gazeteer rules is if she is one of the Dragon-Knights Bruce created for Alphatia (unlikely, given the distance) or a Thyatian Forester. The latter brings in Ilsundal who is unlikely to be granting such a human magic powers unless he has a STRONG interest in doing so; the elven armor also suggests the possibility that she's doing elf-friendly work on some level.
Put all these immortals together and you have the makings of a three-way battle royale come time for the events in Wrath of the Immortals.

Michael G wrote:The bad:
Playing out the events in B3 means most of the gazetteer gets cancelled out by a group of basic level PCs. This is easily circumvented by treating the module as inspiration, but then why make such a big deal about the module taking place here? I don't understand what authors were trying to accomplish.

The ugly:
The curse is mentioned numerous times but I didn't see it described in detail. A rumor to tantalize PCs, a detail for DMs to fill in or an oversight on the author's part?
How did the creation of the Stolari lead to the destruction of most of the plateau's forests? And why would Ordana (one of their immortals and a lover of forests) allow it?

I will try to get him here to see if we can ask him some followup questions :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Omnibius » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:56 pm

Only a few notes ;-)

Andrivarma is northwest of Glantri, where it was written differently is a mistake.
The curse is deliberately not detailed, see "the heart of the Lady", the jewel enhance the magic and brings out the best qualities of the princess, the curse without the designated heir of the same qualities.
"How did the creation of the Stolari lead to the destruction of most of the plateau's forests?" the story reported is not always the whole truth, only the immortals know everything
Omnibius
Orc

Postby Mortis » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:28 pm

Omnibius wrote:Andrivarma is northwest of Glantri, where it was written differently is a mistake.

Obviously just a typo, I'll sort it out. :oops:
Mortis
Hill Giant

Postby Mortis » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:56 pm

Omnibius wrote:Andrivarma is northwest of Glantri, where it was written differently is a mistake.

I may of missed something else, but the only bit of text that seems to suggest the plateau is to the northeast of Glantri is on page 6 and is as follows:

An exchange of territories between the Alphatians situated in the northern part of the highlands (Glantri) and the Hattians who were in the southern part of the highlands, created a flow of people north-eastwards which didn’t stop within the borders of present day Glantri but were pushed towards the plateau and beyond.

The original Italian for that sentence is:

Uno scambio di territori fra gli Alphatiani situati nella parte nord delle terre alte (Glantri) e gli Hattiani che erano nella parte meridionale delle terre alte, creò un afflusso di popolazione verso nord est che non si fermo all'interno dei confini dell'actuale Glantri ma si spinse verso l'altopiano ed oltre.

So, I think the translation's correct - but Omnibus may have meant "nord ovest" rather than "nord est".

Regards
Gary
Mortis
Hill Giant

Postby Omnibius » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:41 am

It was my mistake, northwest is correct, northeast is a mistake.
THX Gary.
Omnibius
Orc

Postby Mortis » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:04 pm

Mortis
Hill Giant

Return to GazF Mystara