[LJN] Do the Sarken have a place here?

Continuing the Gazetteer and Module Tradition Beyond the Known World.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, OldDawg

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[LJN] Do the Sarken have a place here?

Post by Havard »

Are the Sarken mentioned anywhere in the GazF series? They were part of the LJN toyline. If not, what would be an appropriate realm for these in Mystara? Hule perhaps?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

stanles
Stone Giant

Re: [LJN] Do the Sarken have a place here?

Post by stanles »

I can't find the word Sarken anywhere on the Vaults.

They do look appropriately appropriate for the Hulean region, and mercenaries are definitely in keeping.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Someone called George had an idea:
George on the Faceborg page for The Piazza wrote:On Mystara you say, i'd be saying Ylaraum or the plane of fire desert between Slagovich and Sindh, as allies of Jaibul. The story has it there was no mention of the Sark on Mystara or oerth, it's up to the dm to place them some where if they wanted them.
George also shared a really useful link to an article on Jeff's Gameblog, called the mysterious mercenaries of Sark.

Jeff says he couldn't find this on Mystara (or Greyhawk):
Jeff's Gameblog wrote:Dig that sweet polearm and the archer with his ninja-esque facemasque. Anyway, the thing that bugged me as a kid was "Wear the hell is Sark?" I couldn't find it on the map of Greyhawk or the Known World, the only two settings that mattered to me back then. Back then I couldn't resolve the issue.
But he has an interesting solution:
Jeff's Gameblog wrote:Yesterday for no particular this question popped into my mind for the first time in decades, so I hit up the Wikipedia to see if there might be a real world Sark involved. Clearly these guys aren't from Sark, the tiny Channel Island. But maybe they're from Särkland, a Viking term for the Abbasid Caliphate or maybe Sarkel, a Khazar city. I really like the latter idea, but then I'm a big fan of Milorad Pavić's novel The Dictionary of the Khazars.
The idea that these guys might be from the Isle of Sark is pretty funny. :lol:

Särkland does sound a better fit.

I've never heard of The Dictionary of the Khazars before. Weirdly there is a male version and a female version of the same novel. But from what I can see of the blrub, it's kind of a description of a fictional country, disguised as a dictionary.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:44 pm
I've never heard of The Dictionary of the Khazars before. Weirdly there is a male version and a female version of the same novel. But from what I can see of the blrub, it's kind of a description of a fictional country, disguised as a dictionary.
I've read that book. The Khazars were a real people, not fictional, though the book is a work of fiction. The book is actually three dictionaries, discussing the Khazar people's religious conversion from Islamic, Christian, and Jewish perspectives, showing how the same stories can change depending on your point of view.

I've only read one version (the male one, I think) but I think the difference is only a few words.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

I assumed Sarken was a corruption or play on the world Saracen actually. Interesing suggestions though!

I rather like the idea of them being connected to the Elemental Plane of Fire. Perhaps they could be a kind of fallen Sun Brothers/Solluxes?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

ripvanwormer wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:18 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:44 pm
I've read that book. The Khazars were a real people, not fictional, though the book is a work of fiction. The book is actually three dictionaries, discussing the Khazar people's religious conversion from Islamic, Christian, and Jewish perspectives, showing how the same stories can change depending on your point of view.

I've only read one version (the male one, I think) but I think the difference is only a few words.
Thanks for the information.

I was considering if it would be worth starting a [HREF] topic about that book, in the Other Worlds forum.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:37 pm
I assumed Sarken was a corruption or play on the world Saracen actually. Interesing suggestions though!

I rather like the idea of them being connected to the Elemental Plane of Fire. Perhaps they could be a kind of fallen Sun Brothers/Solluxes?
So, if Mystara has the equivalent of Vikings, and therefore an equivalent of Särkland (which could be "Sarkenland" perhaps) could that be located in a place that corresponds to anywhere interesting on your Plane of Fire map?

Could you maybe tie several of these ideas together (to create more backstory)?

(The Plane of Fire thing could actually be a fun way to make something both an island and not an island, as it could be an island just on the Plane of Fire or just on the Material Plane.)

Tom Bulls Eye
Wanderer of Ahl

Post by Tom Bulls Eye »

It's is probably not a bad guess to associate the two mercenaries with one of the Eastern European Khanates, collectively known to the Vikings as Särkland - The country of the men wearing shirts. The outfit is fairly eastern with references to China/Mongolia, so the name could have been coined by Ostlandians for Ethengarian Mercenaries.

Return to “GazF Mystara”