GazH Timeline (working thread)

Continuing the Gazetteer and Module Tradition Beyond the Known World.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, OldDawg

Re: GazH Timeline (working thread)

Postby Hugin » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:37 pm

I know this is the H-continuity, so sorry if I am talking too much about canon here.. :)

Sorry for taking about canon with the GazH-continuity? That's the foundation of the whole thing! ;)
The goal is to gather and resolve canon into a unified story, and from there fill in some gaps and explanations that allow us to play campaigns in any era of Mystara's past. Or something like that. :D

Havard wrote:I like this setup with one people per continent. Is the Oltec connection to Davania canon? The only known canon placements of the Oltec I know are on Brun. OTOH, I like the idea of these being Brun colonies. Similarly we know that there were Neathar colonies on Davania. These peoples later encountered the Milennians.

Well, lets say it doesn't directly contradict canon but it does flow into what canon does say. We don't have any official statements (that I'm aware of) that give the specific original locations of these three groups, although we do know where they end up. And in truth, the whole location of the old North Pole really complicates things.

The main source for so much of Mystara's ancient history is provided in the Hollow World books; the maps of which place the North Pole vaguely near Brun's west coast instead of the specific written location of Ethengar as given in that gaz, and inferred by others that say the Known World region was covered in ice. So when material says that the Oltecs were on Brun in the forests and jungles of the future Desert of Sind region, which is mostly in the arctic circle at this time, we have a problem.

That is why I think it is more consistent with canon to have them originally from jungles and forests of Davania and migrate to the Brun location, given that we also know they were skilled seafarers and travelers. See the Vaults of Pandius article "The Oltec Problem".

The Neathar would have migrated to Davania in later ages as well, given that canon refers to both the Neathar and Oltec peoples as travelers. Canon gives us locations of where populations end up at certain points in time, but do not specifically give us a starting place.

Thanks for the comments. And please, don't hold back any questions; they force me to think about things! :D
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:50 pm

Yeah, the darn polar issue makes ancient history in the KW region interesting, to say the least. Here are some timeline quotes relating to the Azcans/Oltecs that might be relevant:

BC 3500
  • A rift occurs within the Oltec civilization; the more aggressive Azcan cities declare their independence and begin to wage war on the Oltecs. The widespread Neathar race is beginning to undergo development; the language in individual areas changes rapidly into very different dialects, and the independent Neathar tribes no longer recognize a kinship or a common origin among themselves.
    HWOW - pg 10
  • Following a failed military coup, a rift occurs in the Oltec civilization, as the aggressive "Azcan" cities declare their independence and begin to wage war on the Oltecs. According to modern Azcan histories, the hated former masters were overthrown and enslaved; in fact, the Oltecs and Azcans exist side by side for almost five centuries, alternating war and commerce, until outside forces literally destroy the world they know.
    HWR1 - pg 10 Adventurers Book
  • In the Atruaghin Plains far to the east, the Azcans break with the Oltecs, and the two groups war.
    SB - pg 18 book 1 approximate dates

BC 3100
  • To avoid the ongoing war in their homeland, some Oltecs migrate to the Savage Coast, settling the eastern and central shores. Manscorpions and tortles already live along the central coast, and aranea and wallara civilizations flourish on the western end.

BC 3000
  • The Great Rain of Fire is seen by Aztecs and Oltecs alike as an important event in their mysticism: the End of the Fifth Sun. The Immortals transplant large numbers of these peoples to the Hollow World to save them.
    Gaz14 - pg 5
  • Powerful technological devices in Blackmoor explode, shifting the axis of the Known World in an event later called (on the surface) the Great Rain of Fire. To the Azcans and Oltecs, it is understood as the vengeance of the Immortals, the end of the Fifth Sun. As both civilizations were threatened, vast numbers of both tribes are whisked away magically to the Hollow World by the Immortals. pg# 10 HWR1 - pg 10 Adventurers Book

BC 2800
  • The Azcans have shattered the Oltecs. However, the war and ecological changes brought on by the Great Rain of Fire has almost destroyed the Azcans as well. A small number of survivors take refuge in the caves of a mighty plateau. These are the ancestors of the modern Atruaghin Clans. The plateau, although impressive, is nowhere near as grand as the one that now stands in the lands north of the Sea of Dread.
    Gaz14 - pg 5
  • A hardy branch of the Azcans survive in the deep caves of the huge plateau in what would later become Atruaghin Clan lands.
    HWOW - pg 11
  • Azcans and Oltecs on the outer world have practically vanished, dispersed across the world and culturally transformed in every case. Some of the loose tribes are the ancestors of the Atruaghin Clans, They retain a dim memory, retold and altered into myth and folklore, of Azcan and Oltec glory and strife. They also remember the mysterious disappearance of many kin.
    HWR1 - pg 10 Adventurers Book

BC 2500
  • Climatic changes due to the axial shift have rendered the lands of Blackmoor and the elves uninhabitable. The area covered by the Gazetteer series, on the other hand, has become a hospital cradle for future societies to grow in.
    Gaz14 - pg 5

BC 2300
  • Elves arrive in the region and settle the eastern and central Savage Coast. They live alongside, but not among, Oltecs.

BC 1675
  • Tahkati Stormtamer unites the tribes that are now known as the Children of the Horse and leads them in conquest of the other tribes that now make up the Atruaghin Clans. Eventually, he becomes an Immortal.
    Gaz14 - pg 6

Looking at the above sources (Gaz 14, HW, SB, and HWR1) together we can begin to tease out what happened to the Azcans and Oltecs (and I think this is exactly where Hugin is going with this). The sources say that they migrate from their homeland, ending up in the Savage Coast in BC 3100. I agree that it makes sense to make that migration be from Davania to Brun (and Hugin's previous image shows this nicely). It's still going to be a cold land for them... however we are talking about refugees of a lost war rather than real settlers. They may not have had a choice of where to run to, and it looks like the Azcans probably harried them all the way.

The two groups continue their battles, moving up the coast toward the KW after the GRoF. This is still probably colder territory than their homeland (although by this time they've been living in it for 300 years or so). By BC 2800 the radiance fallout begins to take a toll on them, decimating their populations, and some of them (Azcans?) seek shelter underground (at the Great Plateau). The next mention of them (on the outer world) isn't until BC 1675.

I actually have them (at least partially) come out of the Great Plateau to interact with the Taymorans and others in BC 2300 (which doesn't contradict canon either), and I think makes some sense. In BC 1675, the impression is that there have been scattered tribes living on the plains for some time, and they have to come out before the BC 1750 catastrophe collapses the Plateau on their heads.

So I guess this is a rather long winded way of saying that I agree with Hugin's assumptions and extrapolations, and that I think there are enough canon sources to support them.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:36 pm

Chimpman wrote:So I guess this is a rather long winded way of saying that I agree with Hugin's assumptions and extrapolations, and that I think there are enough canon sources to support them.

That's a very good presentation of what is going on. We are conflicting with some official statements but there is just no way around since all the canon notes cannot be used together without serious problems. For example:
BC 3500
In the Atruaghin Plains far to the east, the Azcans break with the Oltecs, and the two groups war.

The Atruaghin Plains are just way too far into the arctic circle and very close to the northern pole at that time (especially if they were to have been in jungles or even forests). However, by having them migrate to the the western coast (the southern coast at that time) of the Great Waste (which is said to have been wooded at the time), we can have them outside the arctic circle, come from a jungle culture, and still be in a sylvan environment.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:54 pm

I agree. This is one of those cases where we have to weigh our choices and pick one. In this case a previous choice (making the old north pole be centered in Ethengar - which is the right thing to do IMO), means that some of our downstream choices become limited. I'm ok with this - there's really nothing to be done about it. With regard to the SB timeline, the thing to remember is we are keeping the "spirit" of the entry (that being the Oltecs/Azcans migrated there from their homeland), even if we aren't following it to the letter of the law. In addition I think it's important to get those groups into the Atraughin area by BC 2800 so that following events can play out as written (which the Davania theory also does).

I'd say let's make a conscious choice and place the Azcan/Oltec homeland in Davania, but I'd love for others to weigh in on this decision.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:05 pm

Here is some more that I've worked on (some is duplicated with what you did but I'm just going down my timeline spreadsheet). Also, I'm not in love with the format I'm using even though I feel the "newspaper brief" style is right.

• -2000 AY, 3000 BC
    The Great Rain of Fire: Blackmoor devices explode wiping out that civilivation and it becomes the northern pole.
    Elven home of Evergrun becomes the southern pole. Vulcania experiences severe volcanic activity.
    There is a relatively short global Ice Age.
    Some elves of remote Blackmoorian outposts find shelter underground, leaving behind a Blackmoorian artifact.
    *Blackmoor colonists -> perished in GRoF
    *Blackmoor colonists (outpost at Sylvan Realm) -> joined Ilsundal's group
    *Blackmoor colonists (polar research outpost) -> Shadow Elf & Schattenalfen ancestors (seek shelter underground)
    *Blackmoor colonists (near Urzud) -> Wendarian elves (manage to survive above ground), Dark Elves (retreat underground near Mengul Mts.)
    Great Waste begins to form.
    Alphatian study of magic turns inward.
    Melting ice caps raise ocean level by several hundred feet.
    Lowland marshes and coastal plains along the southern edge of the continent are flooded.
    Merman culture in the Ierendi/Minrothad area dates from this time.
    The Shark-kin return to the sea.
    The Karimari develop an advanced civilization independent of Blackmoor and the southern elves.
  • -1900 AY, 2900 BC
    Garal Glitterlode creates the gnomish race in the land which would later become Rockhome and the mountains of the northern continent.
  • -1800 AY, 2800 BC
    Elves divide on magic versus technology. The Returnists, under Ilsundal the Wise, begin a long migration to Brun, hoping to find those elves who colonized there.
    *Vulcania Elves -> Returnists (nature loving elves under Ilsundal begin northward migrations)
    *Vulcania Elves -> Technologists (remain in Vulcania and presumably still practice Blackmoorian technology)
    The Outer World Oltecs have become extinct.
    Azcans survive in the huge plateau in what would later become Atruaghin Clan lands.
  • -1500 AY, 2500 BC
    In Vulcania, the elven civilisation is losing its battle with the elements. A second group of southern elves, whose leader's name is now lost, takes a different route north (consisting of the clans of Belcadiz, Truedyl, Icevale, Sheyallia, and perhaps others that perished). They rejoin Ilsundal's band and continue with them.
    *The Schattenalfen ancestors (Atziann's splinter group clan) found first Aengmor.
    The gnomes successfully co-exist with the humanoid races because the underground passages of their tunnel complexes are too small for gnolls and trolls to enter.
    The Taymora humans settle the shores of the southern sea.
  • -1410 AY, 2410 BC
    Many of the elves of the southern continent are transplanted to the Hollow World.
  • -1400 AY, 2400 BC
    Beastmen tribes gather at Urzud.
    A great volcanic explosion occurs in Vulcania, destroying the remnants of the southern elvish civilization.
    *Vulcania Elves presumed destroyed and never heard from again; wild antarctic elves (VotPA); Blacklore Elves (in HW)
    Antalian tribes flourish in the area later to be called Norwold.
    The Immortals inspire one leader/colonizer to lead Beastmen into the Hollow World.
  • -1300 AY, 2300 BC
    Ilsundal's migration have crossed the Strait of Izonda to the Immortals' Arm and head east along the Savage Coast (consists of Returnists and Second Separatists).
    The enduks are created in the far west.
    The araneas start to disappear, replaced by by mages of elven and human form who keep lizard men, the ancestors of the shazaks, as servants and slaves. These folk begin calling their land Herath.
  • -1250 AY, 2250 BC
    Ilsundal's elves cross the Great Waste, migrating from the west. The Sheyallia clan turns south onto the Serpent Peninsula, settling in the forest there. The Meditor and Verdier clans sail east in search of better lands.
  • -1200 AY, 2200 BC
    Ilsundal's migration reaches Glantri but find no surviving elves. Some chose to remain there.
    Tanagoro colonists arrive on the Serpent Peninsula, clash with Sheyallia elves, hold to the coasts.
  • -1100 AY, 2100 BC
    The migrating elves found the Sylvan Realm.
    Meditor and Verdier elf clans settle in southern Traldar lands.
  • -1000 AY, 2000 BC
    Nithian civilization begins to develop and grow.
    Kikianu Caldera begins a period of intense geologic activity.
    Antalians arrive in the Northern Reaches.
    Ethengarian ancestors arrive in Ethengar.
    Beastmen have now developed into modern humanoids.
    Enduks build their first cities.
  • -950 AY, 1950 BC
    *A small band of elves, which have splintered off from the main group of subterranean Glantrian elves, moves back to the surface forming the Schattenalfen clan, though they have no contact with others of their kind.
  • -900 AY, 1900 BC
    The Jennites grow strong, developing a very different culture than their Oltec origins.
  • -800 AY, 1800 BC
    The Rockhome dwarves are created.
    The steel Wars ravage the humanoids of Urzud.
  • -750 AY, 1750 BC
    Nithians progress from Bronze Age to Iron Age.
    Several large landmasses are split away from Brun's south-eastern shores, Makai and lizardmen are stranded on the new islands.
    Meditor elves also stranded on islands.
    *Atziann's clan resurfaces to live by Schattenalfen group in Glantri.
    The plateau of the Azcans collapses, killing many.
    Taymora civilization is destroyed.
    Serpent Peninsula changed as the Dhiki Namazzi being formed, and Tanagoro culture here collapses.
    Karimari remain isolated.
    King Loark raises a Great Horde of humanoids who migrate southeastwards.
  • -725 AY, 1725 BC
    King Loark's horde migrates eastward, continuing the Quest for a Blue Knife.
  • -722 AY, 1722 BC
    The Great Horde of King Loark ravages Norwold, sending the Antalian culture there into a dark age.
  • -720 AY, 1720 BC
    Kikianu Caldera collapses, splitting the land masses formed in 1750 further, forming the Ierendi Isles.
    The Verdier elves join the Meditor elves in the Sea of Dread.
    Primitive Merrow enter the Sunlit Sea following the destruction of their homes to the south.
    Akkila-Khan invades and conquers the southern steppes of Ethengar.
  • -711 AY, 1711 BC
    The Great Horde of King Loark enslaves the Ethengarians. Akkila-Khan allies with King Loark against the Ethengar nomads.
  • -710 AY, 1710 BC
    Three waves of migrations bring the ancestors of the current humanoid populations out of the frozen north: The first wave brings the hill gnolls (??problem point??). The second wave includes the various sub-races of trolls. The giants are the third wave. Rockhome and Northland mountains are also the refuge of the "great giants".
  • -709 AY, 1709 BC
    The Great Horde is defeated at the Battle of Chongor, in ancient Ethengar. King Loark reaches the Broken Lands and settles, with the remainder of his Great Horde.
  • -700 AY, 1700 BC
    The elves of Glantri discover a Blckmoorian device that explodes cataclysmically. The elves shelter themselves in the deepest caves of Glantri; The Truedyl clan emerges, years later, as the Gentle Elves, the Belcadiz clan will reemerge later in Glantri, the Icevale clan will reach the Hollow World, and the Schattenalfen will rejoin the Shadow Elf groups underground. Many perish.
    The Land of the Black Sand is formed.
    The cataclysms bury the Great Horde in the Broken Lands.
    Tribes of goblinoids arrive in the Yazak Steppes.

[Edit: info on elven migrations added. Additions marked by a *.]
Last edited by Hugin on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:22 pm

Hugin wrote:-710 AY, 1710 BC
Three waves of migrations bring the ancestors of the current humanoid populations out of the frozen north: The first wave brings the hill gnolls (??problem point??). The second wave includes the various sub-races of trolls. The giants are the third wave. Rockhome and Northland mountains are also the refuge of the "great giants".

You're going to have to source this one for me as I'm not familiar with any of these events. IIRC gnolls were created by the Nithians (being a combination of gnomes and trolls - which I always thought was bizarre in the extreme), so they wouldn't exist at this point. If there is a reference to "hill gnolls" somewhere then these are completely separate entities - possibly a humanoid branch that went extinct?

Also I've never really considered giants to be "humanoids", but that might be a difference in our definition of the word. For the purposes of GazH I'd suggest that humanoids be defined as any creatures that descended from the original stock of beastmen. I've always viewed giants as predating (or at least being contemporaries of) beastmen, not as descendants of them... I don't know why I think that though, so I could be mistaken.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Hugin wrote:-1500 AY, 2500 BC
The gnomes successfully co-exist with the humanoid races because the underground passages of their tunnel complexes are too small for gnolls and trolls to enter.

I'm also not sure about this event. The reference to gnolls is there again, so we'll need to source that since gnolls don't exist at this point. Neither should trolls since beastmen don't develop distinct strains until later (you have listed BC 2000), but again I think we need a source for this.

Also dwarves and gnomes co-exist in the area (Northern Reaches) during this time period according to Gaz 6 (that being the entire basis around the Shimmering Lands).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:37 pm

Chimpman wrote:You're going to have to source this one for me as I'm not familiar with any of these events.

This is from the Northern Reaches Gazetteer.

IIRC gnolls were created by the Nithians (being a combination of gnomes and trolls - which I always thought was bizarre in the extreme), so they wouldn't exist at this point. If there is a reference to "hill gnolls" somewhere then these are completely separate entities - possibly a humanoid branch that went extinct?

Exactly, hence the problem point. I know there were discussions on this problem years ago on the WotC forum but don't remember if there was a consensus reached. It is something we'll have to address for sure. All the gaz says regarding their nature is, "hill gnolls - primitive and unprepossessing country cousins of the giant races ". :?:

Also I've never really considered giants to be "humanoids", but that might be a difference in our definition of the word. For the purposes of GazH I'd suggest that humanoids be defined as any creatures that descended from the original stock of beastmen. I've always viewed giants as predating (or at least being contemporaries of) beastmen, not as descendants of them... I don't know why I think that though, so I could be mistaken.

That is a very good definition I think. As far as I've seen, giants do indeed predate the beastmen, especially if going by Marco's Codex (again, which follows canon as much as possible but adds to it and develops it).

So although we could adopt that definition for use within the GazH project (and I have no objections to that), canon itself does not.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:41 pm

Hugin wrote:-1900 AY, 2900 BC
Garal Glitterlode creates the gnomish race in the land which would later become Rockhome and the mountains of the northern continent.

Actually Garal creates gnomes and plants colonies in the Northern Reaches and Rockhome. There may be additional colonies planted elsewhere (the original source isn't clear), but the above statement makes it sounds like this is their birthplace, which I'm not sure it is.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Hugin wrote:
Chimpman wrote:You're going to have to source this one for me as I'm not familiar with any of these events.

This is from the Northern Reaches Gazetteer.

Ok, wasn't sure because it's not in my timeline database. I'll have to search through Gaz 7 to find it.

EDIT:
Looking back over your previous posts this may be another one of those canon vs canon points that we are going to have to adjudicate to some extent.
Last edited by Chimpman on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:46 pm

Chimpman wrote:I'm also not sure about this event. The reference to gnolls is there again, so we'll need to source that since gnolls don't exist at this point. Neither should trolls since beastmen don't develop distinct strains until later (you have listed BC 2000), but again I think we need a source for this.

Also dwarves and gnomes co-exist in the area (Northern Reaches) during this time period according to Gaz 6 (that being the entire basis around the Shimmering Lands).

Again, this is all from gaz 7, and the gnoll issue will have to be settled on. (One possibility could be that they are in fact a primitive and early version of kobold that were larger :?: ).

The troll reference isn't as much of a problem in my eyes since it is easy to say that, by this time, the strains are already apparent even though they are not fully stable.
Last edited by Hugin on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:49 pm

Chimpman wrote:Ok, wasn't sure because it's not in my timeline database. I'll have to search through Gaz 7 to find it.

It's in the text of the history section.

Actually Garal creates gnomes and plants colonies in the Northern Reaches and Rockhome. There may be additional colonies planted elsewhere (the original source isn't clear), but the above statement makes it sounds like this is their birthplace, which I'm not sure it is.

The timeline I'm using (Thorf's) has PC2 and HW as references.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Some more. But just keep in mind too that this is just for our starting point; there may be more inconsistencies, etc., that will have to be dealt with, but this will at least help us identify them.

• -699 AY, 1699 BC
    Resurgence of faith in Ethengar, betray Akkila-Khan.
  • -691 AY, 1691 BC
    Humanoids driven into the Broken Lands.
  • -690 AY, 1690 BC
    Akkila-Khan builds a fortress in the Broken Lands, and starts raiding Glantri and Ethengarian borders.
  • -688 AY, 1688 BC
    Baka, the first Ethengarian Khan, rises to power.
  • -681 AY, 1681 BC
    Baka Khan is poisoned, the War of Succession starts.
  • -675 AY, 1675 BC
    Tahkati Stormtamer unites tribes and leads them in conquest of other tribes.
    The Sindhi arise along the Asanda River, trade with the Urduk.
  • -660 AY, 1660 BC
    The War of Succession ends inconclusively;the Ethengars split into hundreds of clans.
  • -650 AY, 1650 BC
    The Serpent Peninsula stabilizes into its current shape and size. General peace is made between the Tanagoros and Sheyallia elves, they increasingly interact.
    *Truedyl & Belcadiz emerge from underground (Truedyl in the Five Shires, Belcadiz in Thyatis)
    Truedyl become known as the Gentle Folk.
  • -600 AY, 1600 BC
    Tensions erupt between the two largest Jennite hordes, leading both back to the Stone Age.
  • -500 AY, 1500 BC
    Rise of the Nithian Empire. A colonial expedition led by the Nithian Traldar clan travels to the lands now known as Karameikos, then become the first humans to inhabit Darokin.
    The Immortal Pflarr creates a jackal-headed servitor-race he calls the Hutaaka.
    Modest Bronze Age human settlements are formed in the eastern lowlands of the Northern Reaches, sophisticated gnomish and dwarven cultures co-exist with primitive giantish clans in the western uplands.
    The Alphatians have achieved total mastery of its environment, just beginning to indulge in serious scholastic competitions and squabbles.
    A northward migration of Halflings pass through Thanegia Island.
  • -485 AY, 1485 BC
    Chibai Khan establishes himself as Lord of the Steppes.
  • -468 AY, 1468 BC
    Atruatzin and his followers build a temple to the old gods, naming it Mictlan.
  • -450 AY, 1450 BC
    Numerous Khans rise and fall as the Steppes are ravaged by a second War of Succession.
  • -420 AY - -402 AY, 1420 BC - 1402 BC
    Underground elven wanderers (*Shadow Elf ancestors & Schattenalfen) stumble on Mictlan, overthrowing the humans, and become the Schattenalfen (*this is the second founding of Aengmor).
  • -410 AY, 1410 BC
    Atruatzin finds his way to the outer world, among the descendants of the Azcans, ancestors of today's Atruaghin Clans.
  • -400 AY, 1400 BC
    Within five generations, the Traldar settlers have reverted to a pre-agrarian lifestyle and are under the domination of the Hutaaka.
    Atruatzin changes his name to Atruaghin, unites the warring tribes which begin to call themselves the Children of Atruaghin.
    The Rockhome dwarves have built citadels at every known pass into their mountains and found the capital of Dengar.
  • -395 AY, 1395 BC
    *A small group of Schattenalfen elves from Aengmor is sent on an expedition and find the HW.
  • -310 AY, 1310 BCThe Quest for Steel; the Wogar Tribe migrate to a great lake, called the Cradle.
  • -305 AY, 1305 BCThe Wogar tribe move south, along a major river.
  • -300 AY, 1300 BCThe halflings from the southern continent, make a mass naval migration to the northern continent, founding Faerdinel (later called the Five Shires), and befriend the Gentle Folk.
    Hordes of goblinoids from the Yazak Steppes sweep through the eastern Savage Coast. These same goblinoid hordes cause many lupin and rakasta tribes to relocate to the central part of the Savage Coast.
  • -299 AY, 1299 BC
    Trollhattan is founded. Nithians enslave the Black Moon horde.
  • -296 AY, 1296 BC
    The Battle of Khuzud. The ogres settle in the Sind Desert and learn the local culture.
  • -291 AY, 1291 BC
    Migrating humanoids begin to encroach on the Great Waste.
  • -290 AY, 1290 BC
    The outer world Shadow elf city of Aengmor is "destroyed" (the city is surrounded by lava and all elves flee).
  • -276 AY, 1276 BC
    Five years of sparse rainfall extend the edges of the Plain of Fire.
  • -271 AY, 1271 BC
    Ogres along the edge of the Plain of Fire move east in search of water and food, devastating Sindhi villages and enslaving the villagers.
  • -270 AY, 1270 BC
    Sindhi and Urduk warriors drive the ogres eastward into the lands that will later become Darokin.
  • -269 AY, 1269 BC
    Ogres from the Sind Desert found Ogremoor.
  • -265 AY, 1265 BC
    Ahmanni Turtlerider and Atruaghin become lovers.
  • -263 AY, 1263 BC
    After his ascension, Wogar's tribe continues along the coast to Atruaghin
  • -262 AY, 1262 BC
    The Karimari aid the Urduk, sending ambassadors and merchants to many distant lands.
    The elves and the Tanagoro tribes continue to mingle, developing a unique culture and early 'seers'.
  • -260 AY, 1260 BC
    Atruaghin leaves the Atruaghin Clans.
  • -259 AY, 1259 BC
    Tahkati Stormtameragrees to help Atzanteotl in destroying the unity of the Atruaghin Clans.
  • -257 AY, 1257 BC
    The Wogar tribe of Red Orcs invade Sindh and the Atruaghin Clans. The Sindhi and Urduk horsemen fend off most of the Red Orc attacks; however, the Atruaghin Clans are conquered and enslaved. Tahkati Stormtamer realizes that he has been betrayed by Atzanteotl.
  • -255 AY, 1255 BC
    The Red Orcs renew their attacks on Sindh; Shajapur (near present-day Sayr Ulan) falls.
  • -254 AY, 1254 BC
    The Wogar Tribe splits into three nations; One settles south of Atruaghin, another in the Five Shires, the last in the central Broken Lands.
  • -253 AY, 1253 BC
    Sindhis and their Urduk allies are hard-pressed by the Red Orc invasions, but receive aid from the Karimari, which turns the tide.
  • -250 AY, 1250 BC
    Sindh is free of the Red Orcs, pushing to the shores of Lake Amsorak. The Sindhis develop an aristocratic government; society begins to organise itself along four social classes. They also segregate themselves into the sindi-varna (born of Sindhi parents) and the urdu-varna (born of Urduk parentage).
  • -190 AY, 1190 BC
    Descendants of the Great Horde resurface in the Broken Lands and discover the city of Oenkmar.
  • -104 AY, 1104 BC
    Underground elves discover the Refuge of Stone and take the name of Shadow Elves unto themselves. Building work begins on the City of Stars.
  • -100 AY, 1100 BC
    Nithians colonize the islands later to be called the Minrothad islands, and found Harbourtown; establish the colony of Thothia on the Isle of Dawn.
  • -90 AY, 1090 BC
    On the Alphatians' world, the followers of Flame begin their serious rivalry with the Followers of Air.
  • -50 AY, 1050 BC
    The Nithians create the gnoll race by magically blending captured Black Moon trolls and gnomes. The gnolls rebel, escape, and later invade Karameikos. Nithian priests visit the Shamans of Oenkmar.
  • -40 AY, 1040 BC
    Tarasfir is enthroned as the first King of the Shadow Elves selected by the shamans of Rafiel.
  • -27 AY, 1027 BC
    On the Alphatians' world, sporadic violence breaks out between the Followers of Flame and the Followers of Air.
  • -10 AY, 1010 BC
    A temporary peace results from one academian's proposal of the Flame vs. Air essay debate.
  • -9 AY, 1009 BC
    Emperor Alphaks I arbitrarily declares the Flames to have won the debate. Outrage, protest, rebellion and revolt result; the Followers of Flame war with the Followers of Air. Nithian scrolls dating from this period refer to the Nithians aiding the Followers of Air.

Note: * denotes additions and extrapolations from canon sources.
Last edited by Hugin on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:21 pm

Hugin wrote:

The timeline I'm using (Thorf's) has PC2 and HW as references.

I don't have PC2 handy at the moment. Here is the actual quote from the HW:
BC 2900: The Immortal named Garal Glitterlode creates the gnomish race, planting colonies of them in the land which would later become Rockhome and the mountains of the northern continent.
HWOW - pg 11
Based on that quote it seems like the Rockhome population is just one colony (and not the origin), and that there may be more around. I'm being nit-picky I know, but multiple colonies would allow for gnomish development outside of Brun without the need for migration information - this could be an important point when considering what other fan material might be compatible with GazH.

I appreciate you putting these timelines up. As you said it will allow us to see where any possible inconsistencies might lie and let us focus our attention there. ;) Try not to mind my pickyness too much.

By the way, if you're interested in the material I'm looking at over here, you can check out the timeline tool I wrote in Java. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done.
http://chimpman.geo.googlepages.com/tools
Go to the bottom of the page (under Khoronus Timeline) and download the timeline.zip file. The tool basically takes in multiple timeline files and merges them according to date. It makes looking at multiple sources simultaneously a lot easier. Most of the event files only contain sources from the actual timelines, but there is no reason other portions of the books couldn't be sourced in the same way (something I've been thinking about doing anyway).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:48 pm

Chimpman wrote:I don't have PC2 handy at the moment.

Took a look at PC2 on lunch and all that it really mentions that's relevant is that Garal created the gnomes and that "not a few" live in Rockhome.

Based on that quote it seems like the Rockhome population is just one colony (and not the origin), and that there may be more around. I'm being nit-picky I know, but multiple colonies would allow for gnomish development outside of Brun without the need for migration information - this could be an important point when considering what other fan material might be compatible with GazH.

I think it makes it fairly clear that there were many colonies scattered across the Known World's mountains around Rockhome. That leaves things pretty open in regard to southeastern Brun, anyway. For what material would we need gnomes outside of Brun?

I appreciate you putting these timelines up. As you said it will allow us to see where any possible inconsistencies might lie and let us focus our attention there. ;) Try not to mind my pickyness too much.

Thanks, and I don't mind the pickyness at all really. It's simply us looking at the details and the possibilities.

I took a peek at your timeline tool on lunch and it looks nice! I'll have to wait til later to play with it though.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Hugin wrote:I think it makes it fairly clear that there were many colonies scattered across the Known World's mountains around Rockhome.

The Dragonlord Trilogy mentions a Gnome colony in the mountains of Glantri.

That leaves things pretty open in regard to southeastern Brun, anyway. For what material would we need gnomes outside of Brun?

The HW map features Ice Gnomes on Davania. I think this is linked to the Earthshaker Module.

Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Hugin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:12 pm

Havard wrote:The Dragonlord Trilogy mentions a Gnome colony in the mountains of Glantri.
The HW map features Ice Gnomes on Davania. I think this is linked to the Earthshaker Module.

Havard

Thanks, Havard. What time frame would we be talking about here? Since Glantri isn't very far away at all, it wouldn't take all that long to have a colony move there (or even have been planted there from the start).

The Ice Gnomes are another story. Marco's Codex Immortalis has them created and placed at the same time as the Brun gnomes. Is this the best option for other works as well (given that canon doesn't provide one)?
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:34 pm

Hugin wrote:Thanks, Havard. What time frame would we be talking about here? Since Glantri isn't very far away at all, it wouldn't take all that long to have a colony move there (or even have been planted there from the start).

The novels are set around AC500. The colony is destroyed at that time. I dont think there is any mention of how old it might be. The colony is called Torkyn Falls and is shown on this map:
http://www.pandius.com/glan_500.html

The Ice Gnomes are another story. Marco's Codex Immortalis has them created and placed at the same time as the Brun gnomes. Is this the best option for other works as well (given that canon doesn't provide one)?

Makes sense I suppose. IMC, the Gnome race is older since I the 3E Blackmoor has Gnomes. Gnomes were never an important part of that setting though. I dont even know if Dave Arneson ever used them...

Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Hugin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:27 pm

Havard wrote:The novels are set around AC500. The colony is destroyed at that time. I dont think there is any mention of how old it might be. The colony is called Torkyn Falls and is shown on this map:
http://www.pandius.com/glan_500.html

I remember hearing about Torkyn Falls now, thanks Havard.

And some more of the our 'skeleton' timeline. Another point to remember is that there are quite a few things that are given in a date that occur over a much larger time period. These will have to be expanded to their 'proper' times.

• 0 AY, 1000 BC
    Western gnollish tribes cross Darokin and invade Traldar lands. Hutaakans retreat to their valley, leaving the Traldar to fight the Gnolls by themselves. King Milen leads nearly the entire population of Marilenev onto the Sea of Dread headed to the Southern Continent, forming a nation called Milenia. The Traldar Golden Age has ended and its Dark Age has begun.
    The Broken Lands are overpopulated; orcs, ogres, trolls, gnolls and ogres migrate outward. Humanoids repeatedly attack Rockhome.
    The Followers of Flame are defeated; Old Alphatia is destroyed. The Followers of Air arrive and settle on the great continent they name Alphatia.
    Some of the earliest Nithian scrolls, dating from this period, hint that the Alphatians are invited to colonize the Known World by the Nithians.
    The Nithian Empire is at its peak; seafarers discover the Ierendi islands, while the human cultures of the Northern Reaches are conquered and enslaved. The Nithians transport many Northern Reaches men to the southern continent, to colonize there, only to see the slaves rebel.
    Black explorers from Tangor find and colonize the Pearl Islands.
    The Orc realm of Othrong is founded by Othrong, the leader of the orcs who invaded Faerdinel.
    *Gentle Folk destroyed on OW, and moved to HW.
    The Gruugrakh gnolls establish themselves under the Plain of Fire.
    Border disputes between Sindh and the Red Orcs continue for the next two centuries.
  • 35 AY, 965 BC
    In Faerdinel, the Halflings overthrow the orc-king at the battles of Hinskulls, Orcfall and in the Spring Slaughter (BC 964).
  • 36 AY, 964 BC
    The Rule of the Elders is established; the Kingdom of Hindon is founded.
  • 62 AY, 938 BC
    The Fall of Hindon; orcs burn the Elderhall. The Dark Years begin. Dwarves and orcs fight for control of the Halfling land.
  • 71 AY, 929 BC
    Loktal Ironshield is crowned King of the Glittering Land, enslaving the hin, but attracting human and orc invasions that weaken the dwarves.
  • 88 AY, 912 BC
    The Second Rising of the Hin; founding the Kingdom of Shaerdon, ruled by the Council of hin clan Lords.
  • 100 AY, 900 BC
    Atruaghin creates his Mystic Conveyor, a powerful magical artifact that links the Known and Hollow Worlds.
  • 104 AY, 896 BC
    First Shadow Elf exploration to the surface world ends in disaster with few survivors.
  • 189 AY, 811 BC
    Corruption and rivalries of hin Lords leads to orcs comeing down from the mountains in force (806), and slowly crush the hin resistance.
  • 199 AY, 801 BC
    The Time of Torment in what was once Faerdinel; the hin are enslaved under the orc-king Thrail.
  • 200 AY, 800 BC
    The ice finally recedes to the far north of Glantri; the first of the Flaem arrive.
    Mealiden Starwatcher (later called Red Arrow) learns the secret of the Rainbow and leads several thousand elves to what would later be called Thyatis. Fleeing northward, some stop in Traladara lands and become the Calarii elven clan, but most stop in a windy steppes area after chasing out the orcs.
    *Sylvan Realm -> Alfheim (Mealiden leads his followers across Rainbow to found Alfheim); Callarii (split from Mealiden colonists); Trueflower clan (Ilsundal followers left on Great Escarpment on IoD - M5).
    In a few centuries' time, the steppes become the Canolbarth Forest.
    The Shiye elf-clan migrates to Alphatia and set up their own kingdom (*split from Mealiden colonists under Eiryndul, take Rainbow Path to Alphatia).
    The Milenians are establishing a strong empire.
    The social classes of Sindhi society have solidified into true castes.
    Atruaghin returns, leading the Children of Atruaghin in a revolt against the Red Orcs.
    Human clans begin building permanent settlements in Darokin.

Note: * denotes additions and extrapolations from canon sources.
Last edited by Hugin on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:08 am

Returning to a previous post.
Hugin wrote:I'm not sure about the glaciers having been receded by 2500 BC though. I'm sure we'll figure that out soon though.

You're right. The ice sheets have begun to recede, but probably continue to do so for several hundred years after this event. I've changed my overview section to reflect this.

I've also added links to your three historical overviews in the first post.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:31 am

Chimpman wrote:Returning to a previous post.
Hugin wrote:I'm not sure about the glaciers having been receded by 2500 BC though. I'm sure we'll figure that out soon though.

You're right. The ice sheets have begun to recede, but probably continue to do so for several hundred years after this event. I've changed my overview section to reflect this.

I've also added links to your three historical overviews in the first post.

And then we have this note:
200 AY, 800 BC
The ice finally recedes to the far north of Glantri.

I wonder if that means the glacier began to recede in Glantri in 2500 BC (delayed by the Ice Age caused by the GRoF, Glantri's overall altitude, and the more sheltered nature of Glantri's valleys), but doesn't reach the state we have today until 800 BC. In this scenario, the glaciers wouldn't have receded evenly from start to finish though. The start would have been slow as the Ice Age gave way to normal climatic conditions, sped up through the lowest and warmest valleys, then slowed down considerably into the higher altitude and colder valleys.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:00 am

Hugin wrote:And then we have this note:
200 AY, 800 BC
The ice finally recedes to the far north of Glantri.

I wonder if that means the glacier began to recede in Glantri in 2500 BC (delayed by the Ice Age caused by the GRoF, Glantri's overall altitude, and the more sheltered nature of Glantri's valleys), but doesn't reach the state we have today until 800 BC. In this scenario, the glaciers wouldn't have receded evenly from start to finish though. The start would have been slow as the Ice Age gave way to normal climatic conditions, sped up through the lowest and warmest valleys, then slowed down considerably into the higher altitude and colder valleys.

I'm thinking along the same lines. At some point I'd like to do several versions of the map that show the glaciers receding over time. Not quite ready for that yet though ;). I agree that the melt probably wasn't even. Coastal areas would probably melt faster (coastal regions tend to have a climate that fluctuates a lot less due to the normalizing effect of the ocean). Thus the Northern Reaches and Rockhome would have been freed of ice first. Glantri takes longer for the reasons you mention.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:52 pm

Alright, here's up to just prior to 500 BC:

• 205 AY, 795 BC
    The Red Orcs are crushed; survivors flee east and north.
    Atruaghin creates the current Atruaghin Plateau, blocking the easterly rain clouds from Sindh.
  • 208 AY, 792 BC
    Second Shadow Elf expedition to the surface lands emerges in the Broken Lands.
    The Children of the Tiger begin to worship Atzanteotl
  • 253 AY, 747 BC
    The Orcstrife begins, no orc can hold the throne; war, pestilence, "savage madness" between orcs erupts across the Realm of Faerdinel.
  • 254 AY, 746 BC
    The Hin discover Blackflame.
  • 256 AY, 744 BC
    The Third Rising of the hin in the Five Shires region.
  • 257 AY, 743 BC
    The Time of the Heroes begins in Faerdinel.
  • 300 AY, 700 BC
    Mealiden becomes the first king of the elves of Alfheim.
    Thanatos and Ranivorus corrupts the Pharaoh of Nithian; the Pharaoh turns the Empire toward worship of Entropy, beginning its decline.
    The Nithian colonists in Thothia turn away from the Entropic faith of their homeland and increasingly turn to a new form of mysticism.
    Nithian pharaohs send expeditions to colonize the central and eastern Savage Coast.
    The manscorpions arrive in the enduk nation of Nimmur.
  • 350 AY, 650 BC
    Most of the interior grasslands of the Sindh area have reverted to desert.
  • 391 AY, 609 BC
    The Restoration: Elders proclaim Gunzuth the Clanless as first Sheriff of Shaerdon.
  • 400 AY, 600 BC
    Dwarves discover large gold deposit near mining village of Jhyrrad.
    Three warrior-tribes from the southern continent (the Thyatians, Kerendans and Hattians) migrate to the northern continent.
  • 428 AY, 572 BC
    Shaerdon is split into five Shires; The Golden Years begin.
  • 444 AY, 556 BC
    Yav is born on the Serpent Peninsula.
  • 470 AY, 530 BC
    Polarization of beliefs as Yav preaches against 'seeing' for personal gain, most not heeding the message, and elven purists preaching against mingling elven and human blood.
  • 471 AY, 529 BC
    The Sindhi ruling families splinter into bickering factions and infiltrated by shapshifters; include adaptors, doppelgangers, mujinas and bhuts.
    On the Serpent Peninsula, old grudges flare up into a civil war, pitting humans against elves. Sheyallia elves arrive in the Great Waste, wander into the Plain of Fire.
  • 472 AY, 528 BC
    Sheyallia elves encounter the Gruugrakh gnolls leading to war, then skirmishes, then cooperation. Some elves choose to leave for Glantri and Alfheim.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:36 pm

Finishing off the BC era!!! :D

• 500 AY, 500 BC
    The Traldar are in the midst of their Dark Age; now call themselves Traladara.
    The Nithian Empire collapses catastrophically; most colonies are systematically destroyed - except for Thothia.
    Ancestors of modern Alasiyan peoples withdraw to desert basins and establish a nomadic culture.
    Malpheggi lizardmen decimated by skin parasite brought of Nithian domestic animals; survivors establish strong prohibitions against contact with humans.
    By now, the steppes where Mealiden's elves settled have become the mighty Canolbarth forest.
    The Order of Golden Battle is formally disbanded; some members become the Buhrodar family.
    The Thyatians, Kerendans and Hattians are now in full control of the region which will one day be called Thyatis.
    The Northmen fall apart into an undistinguished assortment of barbarian clans.
    Oenkmar Rock sinks into the earth.
    Led by Mulogo (Yav), the Tanagoro people sail across the Western Sea to the Immortals' Arm.
    Herath lash out at the wallaras; fall of wallaran civilization. Herath also release the lizard men; they become known as the shazaks.
    The manscorpions betray the enduks and conquer Nimmur, causing them to relocate to the Immortals' Arm.
    Dwarves first arrive on the Savage Coast.
    Over the next few centures; the mages of Herath establish a central government; lupins and rakastas begin to build permanent settlements, the phanatons and shazaks begin to rise from complete savagery.
    * Shiye elves 'found' Shyre Lawr (declared elven kingdom).
  • 507 AY, 493 BC
    A Great Horde is formed in the Broken Lands to march on Rockhome.
  • 508 AY, 492 BC
    The new Great Horde of the Broken Lands is broken and scattered to the winds after attacking Rockhome; the Battle of Sardal Pass becomes "Year 0" in the dwarven calendar.
  • 510 AY, 490 BC
    Several waves of kobold clans are driven into the uplands of the Northern Reaches from the west, overruning and exterminating all but a few fleeing gnome refugees.
  • 520 AY, 480 BC
    Yav leaves the Tanagoros in the hands of his eldest son.
  • 525 AY, 474 BC
    Rockhome dwarves begin a program of exploration and trade in the lands outside of Rockhome.
  • 572 AY, 428 BC
    Elves and gnolls gradually merge into a united Graakhallian society.
  • 600 AY, 400 BC
    The dwarven gold-producing village of Jhyrrad is mysteriously destroyed.
    Mass migration of the Tanagoro back to the Serpent Peninsula; Yav issues the Precepts of Yav.
  • 650 AY, 350 BC
    Alevar of the Grunalf clan becomes King of Alfheim.
  • 749 AY, 251 BC
    Glimreen Gemeye stumbles upon a relic of Blackmoor technology; gnomes begin working with it.
  • 800 AY, 200 BC
    During the 2nd Century BC there is a catastrophic eruption on the present day site of Honour Island.
    Tritons establish the Kingdom of Undersea in the waters between the islands of Ierendi and Minrothad.
    Alphatians begin colonizing Esterhold, enslaving and displacing the Jennites there.
  • 808 AY, 192 BC
    The Alphatians launch a campaign to conquer Thyatis.
  • 810 AY, 190 BC
    The Alphatians complete their conquest of Thyatis; Thyatis is now part of the Alphatian Empire.
  • 849 AY, 151 BC
    Retchfoot the Nagpa begins to aid the gnomes; soon a small group of refugee nagpa and tabi arrive.
  • 850 AY, 150 BC
    The outer world Shadow Elves contact the humanoid tribes of the Broken Lands, persuading them to attack Alfheim.
  • 900 AY, 100 BC
    In the Lost Valley of the Hutaaka, the descendants of the Traldar finally free themselves from Hutaakan rulership; this racial war is destined to go on for another 1100 years.
    The Milenian civilisation enslaves surrounding tribes and nations; its decline continues.
  • 902 AY, 98 BC
    Rebellion in Rockhome.
  • 909 AY, 91 BC
    A pair of sphinxes join the gnomes work with Blackmoorian technology to create a flying city.
  • 950 AY, 50 BC
    The decadent Milenian civilisation collapses utterly under the attacks of surrounding tribes.
  • 986 AY, 14 BC
    The shell of the flying city is completed but cannot yet fly
  • 998 AY, 2 BC
    Assassinations of the Alphatian wizards in Thyatis triggers war with Alphatia.

Note: * denotes additions and extrapolations to canon sources.
Last edited by Hugin on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Up until just prior to 500 AC. For anybody casually looking here, this is a condensed, foundational timeline that does not provide details or explanations of many things; there may also be discrepancies as are found in canon.

• 1000 AY, 0 AC
    Crowning of the first Emperor of Thyatis.
  • 1001 AY, 1 AC
    The Traladara begin a period of regrowth.
    The Highforge clan of gnomes and the Callarii elves settle in Traladara territories; also warlike humanoids (goblins, hobgoblins, orcs).
    Early Alasiyan agricultural settlements along coastal plains and interior desert oases.
    The Good Magic Point of Dreamland is discovered in western Alfheim.
    Thyatis and Alphatia conduct a peace treaty in the neutral city of Edairo, Thothia. General Zendrolion Tatriokanitas assassinates King Lucinius and the kings of Ochalea and the Pearl Islands and crowns himself Emperor of Thyatis, Ochalea, and the Pearl Islands. Emperor Zendrolion commissions Rockhome dwarves to oversee the construction of his new palace.
    Halfling shipmasters establish naval trade with most coastal nations.
    Sindh has disintegrated into a number of mumlykets (little kingdoms).
    Yav continues the investigation on how to remove the curse's effects from his people; eventually doing so to his satisfaction, but once again is hurled forward in time, this time to the year 750 AC.
  • 1009 AY, 9 AC
    Faenare agree to aid the gnomes building a flying city; levitation tests are carried out successfully.
  • 1012 AY, 12 AC
    The Thyatians build a trading station called Cape Alpha in the neutral territory on the Great Bay; this violates the treaty of Edairo.
  • 1015 AY, 15 AC
    Reavers from the Northern Reaches, paid by Alphatia, destroy the trading station at Cape Alpha; it is not rebuilt.
  • 1016 AY, 16 AC
    The Great Library is started in the Flying City of Serraine; still undergoing levitation tests.
  • 1020 AY, 20 AC
    Emperor Zendrolion of Thyatis dies; his wife, Valentia the Justiciar, makes her Citizens' Proclamation.
  • 1021 AY, 21 AC
    Ansel Darokin declares himself King of Darokin, beginning the reign of the Eastwind Kings.
  • 1039 AY, 39 AC
    The Flying City of Serraine takes flight.
  • 1050 AY, 50 AC
    An Alphatian wizard creates the Kubitts who refuse to be his slaves; they rise up and kill him.
  • 1067 AY, 67 AC
    Orcs wrest most of Darokin from its human inhabitants but are then driven out by joint human and elf forces; orcs flee into Nagpuri, slaying and pillaging as they overrun the lands.
    Nagpuri's warriors must contend with orc troubles for the next decade.
  • 1087 AY, 87 AC
    Aden I, the current King of Darokin, is killed by orcs, ending the Eastwind reign.
  • 1088 AY, 88 AC
    The reign of Darokin Kings begins.
  • 1100 AY, 100 AC
    The Makistan Clan is driven from the steppes by Muhuli Khan; settle the Ust-Urt Valley in Ylaruam.
    Celedryl of the Erendyl clan is crowned King of Alfheim.
    Three prominent families rise to power in the Asanda Plain; the Pratikutas of Putnabad, the Rastrapalas of Shajarkand; and the Mahavarmans of Nagpuri and Gunjab.
    Another horde of goblinoids move through the Savage Coast region, wiping out the tortle cities and driving lupins and rakastas into conflict with the mages of Herath.
    Herath create the gurrash to serve as warriors; they prove unsuitable and are dumped into the Bayou, displacing the shazaks.
    The shazaks begin building permanent villages.
    Some lupins and rakastas become mages in Herath, and Herath helps bring the ideas of law and government to those races.
  • 1122 AY, 122 AC
    Corwyn I, King of Darokin, dies; His son, Corwyn II, assumes power.
  • 1130 AY, 130 AC
    Humanoids contact the Shadow Elves for the first time. The Shadow Elves` claims to Alfheim are rejected by King Celedryl; beginning their lengthy campaign of incitement of humanoids against surface elves.
  • 1150 AY, 150 AC
    Thyatians begin colonizing Ylaruam's southeastern coastal plain and foothills of the Altan Tepe range.
    Alasiyan populations driven into desert, enslaved or assimilated.
  • 1179 AY, 179 AC
    The Pratikutas seize control of the entire length of the Asanda River and most of the Salt Swamp, despite revolts and rebellions.
  • 1186 AY, 186 AC
    Rajah Sarad'sloses all but a fraction of Putnabad's territory. Newly powerful families rule in Jalawar and Jhengal; other rajahs suspect these new rulers are shape shifters.
  • 1200 AY, 200 AC
    The dwarven policy of colonization outside Rockhome is well underway and are generally welcomed, with strong colonies in the mountains of Darokin, Vestland and the Jarldoms, Traladara, and Ylaruam; they find less of a welcome in Thyatis.
    Barimoor travels to the lands of the Great Alasiyan Basin and creates his underground complex.
  • 1250 AY, 250 AC
    Alasiyans are increasingly threatened by Thyatian and Alphatian colonization in Ylaruam; some driven out migrate to Darokin, Sind and even to the Urduk nomads.
    Alphatians found the colony of New Alphatia in the Minrothad Isles; Alphatian magic is adapted to seafaring needs.
  • 1276 AY, 276 AC
    Human and elf cultures in the Minrothad Isles meet and establish trade.
  • 1284 AY, 284 AC
    Minrothian and Alphatian cultures clash on Trader’s Isle over slave trading issues; elves force the humans to make peace.
  • 1293 AY, 293 AC
    The last of the orc tribes is driven from Darokin.
  • 1300 AY, 300 AC
    The Water elf trading port of Seahome is established.
  • 1313 AY, 313 AC
    The Hattians rebel and declare themselves an independent kingdom. Emperor Alexian II defeats them and re-establishes Thyatian pre-eminence over the Northern part of the country.
  • 1360 AY, 360 AC
    Minroth traders carry slaves for the Thyatian Empire; Halfling slaves are introduced to the Minrothad Isles.
  • 1390 AY, 390 AC
    A disastrous raid on Alfheim results in some orcs being captured.
  • 1395 AY, 395 AC
    The Flaems discover the Radiance.
  • 1400 AY, 400 AC
    Thyatian clerics learn the "Song of King Halav" and commit it to writing for the first time.
    Traders bearing the curses of vampirism and lycanthropy settle in Traladara's deep woods and flourish there.
    The Flaems discover enemy Alphatians in possession of the mighty Alphatian Empire to the east.
    Ostland is at the peak of aggressive raiding into Thyatian and Alphatian waters.
    The mainland Northern Reaches tribes are victimized by sea-raiders and giantish clans. Early in the 5th Century AC, a handful of war leaders rises to prominence along the coasts of Noslo and Kalslo Islands in Ostland, uniting small communities into larger war clans.
    Rogue Alphatian wizards attempting to develop a hardier, more powerful Alphatian race create fast-spreading strains of the curses of vampirism and lycanthropy.
  • 1410 AY, 410 AC
    Minroth traders unwittingly help spread the new vampirism and lycanthropy throughout the seafaring world, including the Kingdom of Undersea.
  • 1425 AY, 425 AC
    Lycanthropy reaches Sind; threatens to overrun every level of Sindhi society. For a while, shape shifters rule Sind.
  • 1443 AY, 443 AC
    The Silver Purge; In Undersea, known as the Night of the Long Knives.
  • 1450 AY, 450 AC
    The city of Braejr is built in Glantri.
    Traldar arrive on the Savage Coast, establishing the City-States.
    The nation of Bellayne is founded.
    In the Minrothad Isles, Malf Quickhand leads a halfling slave revolt; newly freed halflings migrate to the island they name Open Isle.
  • 1451 AY, 451 AC
    The shape shifters are overthrown; a brutal purge of shape shifters follows.
    Magic-users of Sind establish their own caste, the Jadugeryas.
  • 1475 AY, 475 AC
    The forest elf trading port of Verdun is founded.
  • 1478 AY, 478 AC
    Cnute Bearchest of Zealand is declared King of Ostland.
  • 1488 AY, 488 AC
    Hadric Corser, The Great Uniter, founds the city of Minrothad and lays foundations for an organized trading federation.

This exercise is really giving me a big picture of Mystaran history, which is a relief because that is exactly what I needed it to do! :D
Last edited by Hugin on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugin
Green Dragon

PreviousNext

Return to GazF Mystara