GazH Timeline (working thread)

Continuing the Gazetteer and Module Tradition Beyond the Known World.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, OldDawg

Re: GazH Timeline (working thread)

Postby Hugin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:01 pm

Just shy of 800 AC!

• 1500 AY, 500 AC
    Thyatian and Alphatian colonies in Ylaruam start what will become three centuries of warfare. The tribes bear the brunt of the war; begin to decline.
    Minroth traders remain neutral and dominate merchant shipping for both sides.
    Ostland colonizes the Northern Reaches mainland; welcomed by tribes there.
    Big Chief Sitting Drool unites the Broken Lands; begins the siege of Corunglain.
  • 1501 AY, 501 AC
    The Elfwar between Alfheim and Darokin begins; ends in 504 AC.
  • 1502 AY, 502 AC
    Corunglain is freed from its long siege. The Darokin First Punitive expedition is massacred and devoured in Trollhattan, causing scandal.
  • 1510 AY, 510 AC
    Light-skinned human barbarians from the north are driven to the Savage Coast by Hule; found settlements that eventually join to become the states of Robrenn and Eusdria. Some elves and dwarves already live in these areas.
    Most of the people of Bellayne are wiped out by a mysterious plague.
    The mages of Herath create the caymas.
    The rakastas move into the ruins of Bellayne, allying with the remaining elves and humans.
    The lupins also establish a homeland between Bellayne and Eusdria.
    Bellayne, Renardie, Eusdria, and Robrenn begin evolving to varying degrees of feudalism, aided later by another influx of colonists.
  • 1520 AY, 520 AC
    The halfling trading port and capital city of Open Isle, Malfton, is established.
    The Second Punitive expedition from Darokin is massacred in Kol.
    The first trade caravans attempt to cross the tribelands.
  • 1522 AY, 522 AC
    The second siege of Corunglain begins.
  • 1523 AY, 523 AC
    Big Chief Sitting Drool ransacks Corunglain; enslaves the population and takes them back to the Broken Lands.
  • 1525 AY, 525 AC
    Darokin and Glantri make their Third Punitive Expedition into the Broken Lands; Sitting Drool is brought back in chains.
  • 1526 AY, 526 AC
    King Cnute the Bold of Ostland dies.
    Sitting Drool is traded for Darokinian slaves and gold taken from Corunglain causing great political uproar in Darokin.
    Darokin and Glantri make peace.
  • 1527 AY, 527 AC
    Adventurers in the Broken Lands assassinate Sitting Drool, tribes break up again and various humanoid hordes invade Red Orcland.
  • 1550 AY, 550 AC
    The wizard Illodius and the Darokinians seperately attack Alfphiem. Alfheim Town is founded.
  • 1552 AY, 552 AC
    Queen Gudrid of Ostland dies.
  • 1560 AY, 560 AC
    Alfheim / Darokin Alliance crushes the Shadow Elf invasion.
  • 1570 AY, 570 AC
    First settlement on the island of Ierendi by cast-offs from the Five Shires; encounter small tribes of native Makai.
    Thyatians and Alphatians discover Ierendi Islands.
  • 1571 AY, 571 AC
    Thyatis establishes prisons and detention camps on five Ierendi islands, as does the Five Shires.
  • 1575 AY, 575 AC
    Ierendi islands are used by the hin as naval bases all-year round for the first time; Halfling seabourne trade flourishes.
  • 1582 AY, 582 AC
    Telemon is crowned King of the Shadow Elves.
  • 1585 AY, 585 AC
    Ethengar raiders oppose the Flaemish in numerous skirmishes; the Khan's horsemen are driven out.
  • 1586 AY, 586 AC
    The Thyatians seize the halflings' shipbuilding facilities and ships on Ierendi; halflings retaliate with piratical raids on Thyatian shipping.
  • 1600 AY, 600 AC
    On Ierendi, Mad Creeg inspires a rebellion among all halfling and Thyatian prisoners; the main island is the first to fall. Within a year, his forces control the islands.
    Honour Island is settled by a group of refugee mages.
    The Sylvan Realm is conquered by the wizard Moorkroft; the elven culture there destroyed; Feadiel clan appear in Alfheim.
    Migration of Rockhome dwarves to the Northlands becomes far more common.
  • 1601 AY, 601 AC
    Gregus Verdier, the "Second Uniter", is born on Alfeisle.
  • 1602 AY, 602 AC
    Mad Creeg establishes himself as the first monarch of the Kingdom of Ierendi; claiming all ten islands south of the Five Shires.
  • 1604 AY, 604 AC
    Vestland rebels agianst Ostland; Ostland invades.
  • 1609 AY, 609 AC
    Kingdom of Jaibul established.
  • 1610 AY, 610 AC
    Survivors from the Sylvan Lands settle into Graakhalia.
  • 1614 AY, 614 AC
    Battle of Bridenfjord; Ottar crowned the first King of Vestland. Vestland pursues trade with Thyatis and Alphatia.
  • 1637 AY, 637 AC
    Son of Mad Creeg begins a long line of Matrongle rulers in Ierendi.
  • 1642 AY, 642 AC
    In Ierendi, Black Toes establishes the Council of Lords.
  • 1644 AY, 644 AC
    Successive Thyatian reprisal invasions of Ierendi are defeated.
  • 1645 AY, 645 AC
    Ethengar attempts a massive invasion of Glantri but is defeated at Skullhorn Pass.
  • 1646 AY, 646 AC
    Minrothad forest elves unified into political and economic faction.
  • 1650 AY, 650 AC
    First naval school is established on Ierendi Island to train sailors for battle.
  • 1662 AY, 662 AC
    The Flaemish attempt to invade Ethengar, but the expeditionary force is utterly massacred in the steppes.
  • 1675 AY, 675 AC
    King Celedryl purges Shadow Elf infiltrators from Alfheim, but is only partly successful.
  • 1681 AY, 681 AC
    The Ierendi navy is up to full strength and can fully defend the Islands, aided by magical war fleets of the Honour Island.
  • 1687 AY, 687 AC
    Ierendi merchants discover the rich trade opportunities Sindhi ports offer; Jaibul and Putnabad compete fiercely for foreign trade.
  • 1691 AY, 691 AC
    Council of Dread and the Minrothad Guilds established.
    Honour Island magicians enter into secret negotiations with the Supreme Symposium of Gnomish Syndicates to develop magical-technological engines of war to enhance the power of the Royal Ierendi Navy.
    Yuvraj Narenda ul Nervi, the Crown Prince of Sindrastan, experiences a terrible vision of danger Sind will face in the future.
  • 1695 AY, 695 AC
    Rajah Narenda ul Nervi's army conquers Gom, Karganj and Naral.
  • 1696 AY, 696 AC
    Sandapur falls to Narenda's onslaught.; village of Pramayana stands against Sindrastan's armies for more than a year.
  • 1698 AY, 698 AC
    Pramayana falls at last; Rajah Narenda strikes westward, taking Sindri and Khamrati and the rest of Jhengal.
  • 1700 AY, 700 AC
    Warfare intensifies between Alphatian and Thyatian colonies in Ylaruam; raiding and skirmish warfare become common.
    Doriath assumes the throne of Alfheim.
    Erendyl clan splits as the Erewan faction of the clan begin to leave Alfheim for Glantri.
    *Belcadiz return to Glantri.
    Other worldly invasion at Goblin Park in Alfheim.
    Feadiel elves found Shadowtree in eastern Alfheim.
    The dwarven Longstriders Trading Company is founded; begin trading in Alfheim.
    Highpoint Cavern claimed by the Buhrodar Clan in Rockhome.
    Clan warfare decimates the population of the north coast of Vestfjord Bay around Sudorn in the Northern Reaches.
    Ostland repeatedly raids Soderfjord.
    The Battle of Blackflame; an orc horde invading the northern Shires are destroyed.
    Rajah Narenda establishes Gola Keep; trade agreements with Slagovich.
  • 1703 AY, 703 AC
    Rajah Narenda's forces conquer Baratpur, bringing Baratkand under Sindrastani control; assumes the title of Rajadhiraja.
  • 1704 AY, 704 AC
    The ruling Jadugeryas of Jaibul reach an agreement with the rajadhiraja, allowing them independence.
  • 1705 AY, 705 AC
    The rajah of Nagpuri swears fealty to Rajadhiraja Narenda ul Nervi.
  • 1706 AY, 706 AC
    Bloody wars to control Kadesh and Gunjab nearly exhaust the Rajadhiraja's resources.
  • 1712 AY, 712 AC
    Raneshwar falls to Narenda's troops. The Rajah of Gunjab retains his rulership under the new title of Maharajah (Great King).
  • 1713 AY, 713 AC
    A Thyatian patrol probing into Ierendi waters is utterly destroyed; Thyatian interest in Ierendi as a colony wanes.
    Kadesh agrees to unite with lower Sind.
  • 1714 AY, 714 AC
    Rajahiraja Narenda ul Nervi announces the total unification of the Kingdom of Sind with the treaty reached between Sindrastan and Peshmir.
  • 1717 AY, 717 AC
    The Rajadhiraja charges Jahore and its ruling families with the task of building a Sindhi Navy; most timber must be imported from eastern lands.
  • 1722 AY, 722 AC
    Jennial, an elven leader from the Sylvan Lands, leads an uprising of dissatisfied elves against the Graakhalia elf/gnoll alliance; it is quickly put down.
  • 1723 AY, 723 AC
    Santhral II dies, ending the reign of the Darokin Kings.
  • 1726 AY, 726 AC
    The newly-completed Sindhi navy mysteriously sinks in Jaibul's outer harbour shortly after returning; sabotage suspected.
  • 1728 AY, 728 AC
    Alphatian colonies in Ylaruam destroy Thyatian colonies there; Thyatian colonists flee, many to Glantri.
  • 1730 AY, 730 AC
    Settlers come to Glantri (* begun several decades ago and continuing); *beginning with Belcadiz elves and Erewan elves, and humans from various nations.
    In Alphatia, the philosophies of the wizardess Mylertendal begin catching the popular imagination.
  • 1735 AY, 735 AC
    The elderly Narenda ul Nervi dies in his sleep. His son, Kistna, proves a just and capable Rajadhiraja.
  • 1748 AY, 748 AC
    The merrow of the Sunlit Sea agree to help the Ierendi Navy in return for Ierendi agreeing to protect sacred merrow shrines from pirate plunder.
  • 1750 AY, 750 AC
    Yav suddenly appears at this time from the past; finds a great-grandson to lead the People of Yav into a new life as a civilized, evolving society.
  • 1758 AY, 758 AC
    Yav leaves his mortal body behind and joins the ranks of Mystara's Immortals.
  • 1775 AY, 775 AC
    The Council of Lords agrees to limitations on its power, and to the popular democratic election of the king and queen.
  • 1776 AY, 776 AC
    Rajadhiraja Kistna ul Nervi dies of a fever after reigning for four decades.
  • 1784 AY, 784 AC
    After decades of friction between Flaems and settlers, the Flaems turn openly hostile; war is declared.
  • 1785 AY, 785 AC
    The Battle of Braejr, between the Flaems and a coalition of elven and human settlers; coalition is broken and driven south of Braejr and the Vesubia river.
  • 1786 AY, 786 AC
    Halzunthram arrives in Flaemish land, leader of a colonizing force from Alphatia; sides with the coalition.
    On Ierendi Island, Mount Haumea erupts; buries Port Siers.
  • 1788 AY, 788 AC
    Battle of Braastar; Alphatians shatter the Flaemish defence. The Treaty of 788. Halzunthram takes over the council; declares the land a protectorate of Alphatia and war breaks out again. The Forty Years War.
  • 1790 AY, 790 AC
    In Ierendi the Council of Citizens is formed.
  • 1793 AY, 793 AC
    Rajadhiraja Hansh ul Nervi is found dead; son Ramanan takes the throne.

Note: * denotes additions and extrapolations to canon sources.
Last edited by Hugin on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:07 pm

This is great work Hugin! I have to admit I'm a little behind in my review of it, but hopefully I can catch up this weekend. I'd like to go through event by event and start to figure out where any inconsistencies (in canon itself) might be.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:59 pm

Chimpman wrote:This is great work Hugin! I have to admit I'm a little behind in my review of it, but hopefully I can catch up this weekend. I'd like to go through event by event and start to figure out where any inconsistencies (in canon itself) might be.

Thanks. Admittedly, I haven't thoroughly examined it for inconsistencies my, beyond the basic reading and editing down of the entries in Thorf's Timeline. Plus we'll be having company all weekend so I'm not likely to even be able to touch anymore on it til later.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:01 pm

I've made some corrections in the above timelines:
  • 800 BC: The Flaems first arrive in Glantri.
  • 395 AC: The Flaems discover the Radiance.
  • 730 AC: The Belcadiz elves arrive in Glantri.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:25 pm

I'm still behind. Didn't have much time this weekend to go over it. :(
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:17 pm

Here's the 800's AC. Just to put you further behind, Chimpman. ;) :lol:

• 1800 AY, 800 AC
    Birth of Suleiman Al-Kalim. Ylaruam is sparsely populated by constantly feuding tribal nomads; only in the Alphatian and Thyatian colonies are there any significant settlements.
    In the Broken Lands, the orcs begin a new series of wars against the surrounding nations.
    Devilfish appear in the Sunlit Sea; war breaks out between them and Undersea
  • 1802 AY, 802 AC
    Glantrian gold rush brings many Rockhome dwarves. Glantri in the throes of civil war; no central government. Glantrian plague; dwarves blamed beginning the "Years of Infamy".
  • 1803 AY, 803 AC
    Birth of the Wyrwarf Clan in Rockhome.
  • 1805 AY, 805 AC
    Dwarves fleeing the anti-dwarf policies of Glantri establish small communities in the mountains of Nagpuri, Gunjab and Peshmir.
  • 1812 AY, 812 AC
    Kulpakh assumes the throne of Sind, and then is trampled by a ceremonial elephant. Kulpakh's brother Balin assumes the throne.
  • 1818 AY, 818 AC
    A Makistani sorcerer casts a special spell permanently on Al-Kalim, providing him with a magical intuition of the presence of water.
  • 1825 AY, 825 AC
    Suleiman Al-Kalim's tribe captures of the insignificant village of Ylaruam; he establishes it as his tribal seat.
  • 1826 AY, 826 AC
    Al-Kalim unites the Alasiyan and Makistani peoples under the banner of the Eternal Truth; captures Cinsa-Men-Noo and Ctesiphon.
  • 1827 AY, 827 AC
    The forces of Al-Kalim drive the Alphatians out of Ylaruam.
  • 1828 AY, 828 AC
    The Thyatians in Ylaruam withdraw to the fortified towns.
    Lord Alexander Glantri captures Halzunthram; confirms the land's independence from Alphatia.
    Some dwarves fleeing Glantri migrate to Fortress Island and become part of the Minrothad Guilds, others settle in Darokin.
  • 1829 AY, 829 AC
    Lord Alexander Glantri creates the Republic of Glantri and reforms the council.
  • 1830 AY, 830 AC
    The last Thyatian colony of Alasiya is conquered by the forces of Suleiman Al-Kalim; the Thyatians, as a power, are driven out of Ylaruam.
  • 1831 AY, 831 AC
    Al-Kalim convenes the first Convocation of Tribes in Ylaruam; introduces his Dream of the Garden in the Desert.
  • 1832 AY, 832 AC
    Nitara ul Nervi claims the throne of Sind and the title of Ranidhiraja.
  • 1835 AY, 835 AC
    Al-Kalim, accompanied by his faithful companion Farid, sets out on a pilgrimage to the Undersea Kingdom.
  • 1841 AY, 841 AC
    The Dwarven port of Stronghold is established.
  • 1842 AY, 842 AC
    Al-Kalim leaves Ylaruam, again accompanied Farid, on a search for an artifact which controls the flow of time.
  • 1845 AY, 845 AC
    Construction is begun on the Great School of Magic in Glantri City.
  • 1846 AY, 846 AC
    An orc horde from the Broken Lands loots Ardelphia, utterly destroying the city.
  • 1850 AY, 850 AC
    The Council of Minrothad refines government structure and establishes office of ruling guild master; first ruling guild master, Missan Meditor, is appointed; severe laws restricting immigration are passed.
  • 1855 AY, 855 AC
    Suleiman Al-Kalim composes the Nahmeh.
  • 1858 AY, 858 AC
    The Eternal University and the Council of the Preceptors are established in Ylaruam.
    Glantri limits the rights of nobility to wizards and allows council representatives to bear the hereditary title of Prince.
  • 1859 AY, 859 AC
    Glantri has a minor revolt as "illegal" nobles are expelled from their lands.
  • 1860 AY, 860 AC
    Al-Kalim retires from public life.
  • 1867 AY, 867 AC
    In Ierendi, The Council of Lords proposes that the selection of king and queen be decided in an annual series of contests called the Royal Tournament of Adventurers.
  • 1875 AY, 875 AC
    The School of Magic is completed in Glantri City.
  • 1880 AY, 880 AC
    Fire Island atoll is declared off-limits to all shipping; thieves guild secretly establishes Cove Haven as a pirate base on this island
  • 1882 AY, 882 AC
    Ranidhiraja Nitara ul Nervi abdicates the throne of Sind in favour of her grandson, Anandarun ul Nervi.
  • 1889 AY, 889 AC
    Rajadhiraja Anandarun ul Nervi is assassinated, leaving no heirs. Vadin, Kulpakh ul Nervi's great-grandson, seizes the throne.
  • 1890 AY, 890 AC
    Ruling guild master Kitrina Meditor passes the Isolation Act prohibiting immigration and most visitors to Minrothad.
  • 1897 AY, 897 AC
    Jhengal divided into East Jhengal (named Azadgal by its new rajah) and West Jhengal (stubbornly called "Jhengal" by its inhabitants).
  • 1898 AY, 898 AC
    A new immigration wave hits Glantri.

Well, only 100 years more to go!
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Hugin wrote:Here's the 800's AC. Just to put you further behind, Chimpman. ;) :lol:

Crud... ;) I'll get back over here at some point. Thanks for putting all this info together Hugin!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby JohnBiles » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:25 pm

Chimpman wrote:
I'd say let's make a conscious choice and place the Azcan/Oltec homeland in Davania, but I'd love for others to weigh in on this decision.

It sounds right to me (Tangaro on Skothar, Azcan/Oltecs on Davania, Neathar on Brun)
JohnBiles
Hill Giant

Postby Hugin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:26 am

Thanks for chiming in John, I was hoping there were others out there that felt it sounded alright.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:28 pm

That sounds fine to me, too.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Hugin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:15 pm

This brings us up to the 'present day' of 1000 AC (although I didn't actually include any entries for 1000 AC). I wanted to finish this since I'll be away most of the weekend.
And in this case, it probably is 'last and least'. :lol:

• 1900 AY, 900 AC The Emperor of Thyatis, Gabrionus IV, begins a new expansionist policy; claiming all Traladara as a Thyatian protectorate, conquer and settle several areas of the Isle of Dawn, colonize the Savage Coast, put pressure on the Northern Reaches, and build and settle the city of Oceansend in Norwold. Refugees fleeing Traldar lands settle in Darokin. Halflings come to the Savage Coast. The "death" of Suleiman Al-Kalim. The Sky Palace is constructed in Alfheim Town. The human farming community of Greenston is founded in Rockhome. Sometime during this century the Cnute dynasty builds the fortified town of Zeafort on Noslo Island, Ostland; Ostman clans twice rise in rebellion against the Cnute dynasty and suppressed. North Island is annexed; the refuge colony of Gapton is established.
  • 1901 AY, 901 AC Kers Zeberdesti takes the throne of Sind, as well as the ul Nervi name.
  • 1911 AY, 911 AC Serraine is attacked by a flight of red dragons; founding of Ack-Ack Day.
  • 1913 AY, 913 AC Rajadhiraja Kers ul Nervi dies in a blazing fire that destroys the royal palace and much of Sayr Ulan. His son Darshan becomes Rajadhiraja, and orders the palace rebuilt.
  • 1915 AY, 915 AC A Himaya named Sarad Ylayci seizes the throne of Sind in a bloody coup.
  • 1919 AY, 919 AC An Ethengar Horde under Toktai Khan attacks Hayavik in the Heldann Freeholds; the attack is repulsed.
  • 1920 AY, 920 AC Economic agreement signed between Glantri and Darokin, allowing free passage for all merchant caravans. Business is booming in Glantri City. The whole Sky Palace project in Alfheim Town is turned over to the human Customs Office. The underwater war between the devilfish and the Kingdom of Undersea ends indecisively.
  • 1925 AY, 925 AC In Lower Dengar the Buhrodar Stronghold is moved from what will soon become the Human Quarter to the recently completed Highpoint Cavern.
  • 1926 AY, 926 AC Toktai Khan besieges Hayavik and is killed in the final battle; it is destroyed. The Horde withdraws to select a new leader. Another War of Succession begins.
  • 1927 AY, 927 AC The Great Merger; Charles Mauntea is picked to lead Darokin, beginning the reign of the Merchant Kings.
  • 1934 AY, 934 AC Chancellor Mauntea calls the Second Great Merchants` Council.
  • 1935 AY, 935 AC In Ierendi, the Royal Tournament of Adventurers annual contest is opened to any adventurers willing to swear allegiance to the Council of Lords, the Council of Citizens, and Ierendi. Lydia Mauntea assumes the title "Chancellor" in Darokin.
  • 1938 AY, 938 AC Thrainkell Torson is born in Oceansend.
  • 1939 AY, 939 AC Rulership of Sind passes to Timin ul Nervi
  • 1940 AY, 940 AC All Minrothad trading vessels are now captained by merchant-princes and carry marines.
  • 1944 AY, 944 AC A halfling army surprises a gathering orc horde north of Wereskalot, routing them in the Battle of Fire Rock.
  • 1948 AY, 948 AC Stefan Karameikos III born.
  • 1949 AY, 949 AC Vardon Kalimi is named Chancellor.
  • 1950 AY, 950 AC Ferryway is founded in Rockhome by humans from Greenston. Dwalur and Dia are made heads of the Syrklist Clan. Korin and Bali become joint head of the Torkrest clan. Council of Soderfjord; creation of the Soderfjord Jarldoms, mutual defence treaties with Ylaruam and Vestland which also agree to aid Soderfjord in securing the Overland Trade Route through Castellan. Minrothad signs neutrality pacts with most mainland countries.
  • 1951 AY, 951 AC Kapi becomes the new Rajadhiraja.
  • 1956 AY, 956 AC Peasant warrior Thrainkell Torson becomes a gladiator in Thyatis City; he is called Thincol Torion and later Thincol the Brave.
  • 1957 AY, 957 AC Haradith of the Tall Cedars is the first non-Ierendian to win a regency; has repeated successes in 12 of the next 14 years.
  • 1959 AY, 959 AC Alphatia begins another direct war upon Thyatis. Olivia Prothemian born.
  • 1960 AY, 960 AC Bifin becomes King Everast XV of Rockhome. Underside, Dengar's equivalent of a chaotic criminal underground, is formed. The Alphatian assault forces reach Thyatis City and kills Emperor Gabrionus V; Thincol is crowned Emperor Thincol I Torion.
  • 1962 AY, 962 AC Princess Eriadna is crowned Empress Eriadna the Wise of Alphatia.
  • 1965 AY, 965 AC Kitrina Meditor is assassinated; council of guild leaders acts as regent until Oran Meditor comes of age.
  • 1968 AY, 968 AC Stefan Karameikos III becomes ruler of the Duchy of Machetos in western Thyatis.
  • 1970 AY, 970 AC Duke Stefan Karameikos III trades his ancestral lands (Duchy Machetos) to Emperor Thincol of Thyatis for independent rulership of Traladara, which is renamed the Grand Duchy of Karameikos. The Trollheim Homesteading Acts in Vestland.
  • 1971 AY, 971 AC The Marilenev rebellion is crushed by Duke Stefan Karameikos. Corwyn Hoff is named Chancellor
  • 1975 AY, 975 AC The Academy of Naval Science is founded in Ierendi. Thar’s Legion is created. Rypien Hallonica is named Chancellor
  • 1977 AY, 977 AC Work is begun on a breakwater around Ierendi City.
  • 1979 AY, 979 AC Duke Stefan Karameikos marries Lady Olivia Prothemian. Devilfish resume their attacks on Undersea.
  • 1980 AY, 980 AC Lady Adriana Karameikos born. The Ierendi Tribunal (formerly the Council of Lords) is formed. Lycanthropes are again discovered in Minrothad and Undersea
  • 1982 AY, 982 AC Lord Justin Karameikos born.
  • 1984 AY, 984 AC Construction of the breakwater around the city of Ierendi is completed. Moglai unites the clans of the Murkit tribe.
  • 1985 AY, 985 AC Empress Eriadna has a new fortress city built atop the ruins of the Thyatian trading station at Cape Alpha. The united Murkits defeat the warring clans of the Maghurs; all Maghur males put to the sword.
  • 1986 AY, 986 AC Lord Valen Karameikos born. Moglai Khan defeats the Hajiks; wipes them from the face of the earth.
  • 1987 AY, 987 AC From now until AC 990, Clans of the Ethengar Steppes unite into tribes for protection; turn to fighting each other.
  • 1988 AY, 988 AC Corwyn Mauntea named president of the Darokin Merchant’s Council.
  • 1989 AY, 989 AC Baron von Hendriks invades the Five Shires three times; all lost. Oran Meditor takes office; institutes reforms.
  • 1990 AY, 990 AC King Hord's political power begins to slip into the hands of the powerful priests of Odin.
  • 1991 AY, 991 AC Oran Meditor rescinds the isolation act and opens Minrothad to outside contact. Moglai Khan aids the Bortaks against the Kiyats. In return, the Bortaks accept Moglai Khan as their rightful ruler. Surviving Kiyats also swear allegiance to Moglai Khan.
  • 1992 AY, 992 AC Empress Eriadna of Alphatia gives her son Ericall the city of Alpha in Norwold, the empty title of king of that nation, and a great degree of autonomy. Chandra ul Nervi becomes Rajadhiraja.
    1993 AY, 993 AC Through treaties the coastal ports of Jaboor and Fabia and the associated coastal plain are added to the Abbashan Emirate (in Ylaruam).
  • 1994 AY, 994 AC Uighurs seek Moglai Khan’s aid against settlers from the Heldann Freeholds; the settlers are slaughtered.
  • 1995 AY, 995 AC King Ericall of Norwold grants governorship of Landfall to his half-brother, Lernal the Swill. First assassination attempt on Oran Meditor; Clan Kasan is behind the attempt and is removed from control of the Water elf Guild; Clan Elsan is promoted to replace Clan Kasan.
  • 1996 AY, 996 AC Taijits and Yakkas join Moglai; the other tribes rapidly follow and Moglai is declared Khan of Khans. The Keshak is formed.
  • 1997 AY, 997 AC Numerous frost giants leading stone and hill giants found their city of Jotunheim.
  • 1998 AY, 998 AC Second assassination attempt on Oran Meditor; the assassin is believed to be a hired wizard from Glantri. Undead are reported in the waters to the south of Undersea.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:22 am

Wow! Ok, there is a lot here to digest. I've given everything before AC 0 a rough first pass and so far it all looks good. My instinct tells me we'll need to look into a few more areas in depth. Here is what I have so far:

1A) Beastmen/Humanoid histories and migrations. Several products (Gaz 7 being the foremost) make references to various humanoid strains that may not actually be in existence at the time. We've already found evidence of this with regards to the gnolls in another thread. I think we'll need to outline exactly when the various strains start becoming apparent, and then address how to change other sources (like Gaz 7) based on what we decide.

1B) Another topic related to humanoids - there have been quite a few conquests and humanoid kingdoms in the KW throughout the time we are looking at. It would be nice to outline each of these in a way that is easy to follow.

2) Dwarves. I actually think that this history is pretty straight forward and doesn't clash with anything else... but the whole memory change thing always gives me a headache. Also if we assume that all dwarves are from Rockhome (which I think we are doing because that's canon), we may need to take a look at other known dwarven kingdoms and determine when migrations/colonizations from Rockhome occurred. Rockhome has also had its expansionist periods which I think we need to look at as well.

Now to move on to modern times...
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:50 pm

Chimpman wrote:My instinct tells me we'll need to look into a few more areas in depth.

Definitely. Things will have to be examined more closely as we get to the various periods of Mystara's history.

1A) Beastmen/Humanoid histories and migrations. Several products (Gaz 7 being the foremost) make references to various humanoid strains that may not actually be in existence at the time. We've already found evidence of this with regards to the gnolls in another thread. I think we'll need to outline exactly when the various strains start becoming apparent, and then address how to change other sources (like Gaz 7) based on what we decide.

There are a few possibilities that we'll have to explore in think, and it's coming up soon by the looks of it.

1B) Another topic related to humanoids - there have been quite a few conquests and humanoid kingdoms in the KW throughout the time we are looking at. It would be nice to outline each of these in a way that is easy to follow.

I like this idea. Things like this are also great for placing ruins and adventure sites later on in time.

2) Dwarves. I actually think that this history is pretty straight forward and doesn't clash with anything else... but the whole memory change thing always gives me a headache. Also if we assume that all dwarves are from Rockhome (which I think we are doing because that's canon), we may need to take a look at other known dwarven kingdoms and determine when migrations/colonizations from Rockhome occurred. Rockhome has also had its expansionist periods which I think we need to look at as well.

Indeed. There are several examples of this in canon so once we get those mapped out, we can insert the migration of any dwarven colonies not mentioned into the timeline (with suitable back stories of course).
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:48 pm

I've updated the first post to include all overview references in this thread as well as all related detailed discussion threads. Let me know if I've missed anything.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:02 pm

Chimpman wrote:I've updated the first post to include all overview references in this thread as well as all related detailed discussion threads. Let me know if I've missed anything.

Excellent! Good idea.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:25 pm

Moved from the Elven Ethnicities thread:
Hugin wrote:
Zendrolion wrote:All in all, as you see, I don't like to explain everything with magic or Immortal intervention. And, if at least humans evolved naturally, other species must be rescaled (unless one doesn't want to have the elven race younger than the human race :P - which I don't).

No problem, but I think I'm going to go with less years for the GazH project (although it will be very easy for anyone to use millions of years instead with GazH). Part of what makes me lean this way is the suggestions that humans and most life in general on Mystara were created. I'm also planning on using the quote from the Immortals set;
Immortals Rule Set wrote:In the active cycle, the megalith is fully awake and Lawful in alignment. It observes its surroundings and examines itself constantly, noting the appearance and disappearance of life forms on and within it aiding their development and defending itself. Of generally good intentions, a megalith will try to avoid unexpected movements while awake, for such can damage or destroy the life forms. The active phase lasts for 10,000-1,000,000 years.

and
The home planet of all PCs is a megalith, now nearing the midpoint of its active phase. The Immortals made special arrangements with this creature, who is known to them as Urt, before starting to cultivate life forms upon and within it.

Given that a megalith's active phase ranges between 10,000 and 1,000,000 years, that provides up to roughly half a million years since this could have occurred. In this manner I plan to explain all creatures on Mystara as being the result of some kind of influence; be it Urt, Immortal, mortal, planar, or Sphere of Power. "Natural" changes that occur (what we'd call evolution) are usually in quick spurts and actually caused by some sort of influence.

This is the way I'd prefer to go as well.

However, I think we can leave most of ancient history pretty blank and let individual DMs tailor that as they see fit. I know some prefer to apply a more RW evolutionary bend to their Mystara and others prefer to explain things with magic and the fantastical. I don't think GazH needs to decide this. Let's just leave it open.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Chimpman wrote:This is the way I'd prefer to go as well.

However, I think we can leave most of ancient history pretty blank and let individual DMs tailor that as they see fit. I know some prefer to apply a more RW evolutionary bend to their Mystara and others prefer to explain things with magic and the fantastical. I don't think GazH needs to decide this. Let's just leave it open.

What I have in mind is a kind of "sidebar prologue" type inclusion of this very early history, a sort of backdrop to the rest of the GazH presentation. It will be there to use if wanted but very easily substituted out if not.

Another reason I'd like to include it is to integrate the creature history and atlas part of the project. If we are going to have a product that gives the cultures, religion and political boundaries found in Mystara's past, we better also be able to say what creatures existed where and when. After all, these are the kinds of information found withing a Gazetteer. :D
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:49 pm

Hugin wrote:What I have in mind is a kind of "sidebar prologue" type inclusion of this very early history, a sort of backdrop to the rest of the GazH presentation. It will be there to use if wanted but very easily substituted out if not.

Another reason I'd like to include it is to integrate the creature history and atlas part of the project. If we are going to have a product that gives the cultures, religion and political boundaries found in Mystara's past, we better also be able to say what creatures existed where and when. After all, these are the kinds of information found withing a Gazetteer. :D

True. I'd be happy with this approach as long as it's presented in the "here is one possibility" light.

Take the elves for example. Zen's explanation for the development and evolution of elves on Mystara works just fine with the "fact" that circa BC 6000 there was an elven colony on Grunland. My theory that elves came from beyond Mystaraspace as colonists works equally well. A third theory could be that elves were created by Ordana. Given three different realities (one in which either theory is true) I'd argue that elven events after BC 6000 don't really change at all. Therefore it's not a necessity to set any of those theories as gospel for GazH. That's my only real argument. I have no qualms about sidebars listing out possible explanations.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Chimpman wrote:True. I'd be happy with this approach as long as it's presented in the "here is one possibility" light.

Take the elves for example. Zen's explanation for the development and evolution of elves on Mystara works just fine with the "fact" that circa BC 6000 there was an elven colony on Grunland. My theory that elves came from beyond Mystaraspace as colonists works equally well. A third theory could be that elves were created by Ordana. Given three different realities (one in which either theory is true) I'd argue that elven events after BC 6000 don't really change at all. Therefore it's not a necessity to set any of those theories as gospel for GazH. That's my only real argument. I have no qualms about sidebars listing out possible explanations.

Exactly. Whatever is given as ancient history according to GazH should have no real effect on the remaining history if it was replaced. I intend it to be, as you point out, a possible set-up explanation for the remainder of the project that does not exclude other possibilities if so desired.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:29 pm

Added 200 BC entry:
Alphatians begin colonizing Esterhold, enslaving and displacing the Jennites there.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:38 am

An update on what I've been working on.

I've done quite a bit of research into both Mystara's and Earth's development of languages and have come to some general conclusions (as well as more specific ones).

1) In the RW there is not the connection between language or ethnic development and the people group's skin colour as there appears to be on Mystara due to the three original human groups. (RW people all have the genetic ability to experience skin tone change over time according to research). This creates a bit of a difficulty with Mystara in matching and following RW parallels. (E.g. the Sami languages of Scandinavia are closely related to the Samoyed languages of Northern Russia, but the peoples that speak them are not nearly as closely related genetically.)
2) Linguistic development groups are not ethnic or cultural groups. Thus, language can jump across or interact with other language groups without ethnic or cultural adjustments. On Earth, the linguistic family tree and the genetic family tree appear noticeably different from each other.
3) For Mystaran purposes, it is just as practical to use RW relationships of language and ethnicity "in reverse" as it is to use them in "order of ancestry". (i.e. For Mystara, it is the relationship that we are concerned with and not the chronological order as it was in the RW).
4) Not every language on Earth needs an equivalent counterpart on Mystara. Additionally, RW languages that have a Mystaran counterpart often have dozens of related languages whereas Mystara will only use a single, general one (although perhaps with dialects).
5) And finally, although many Mystaran languages and cultures are recognizably similar to a RW one, they are not the same, have their own particular developments, and therefore will have their own unique qualities.

In summary, Mystara's development of people groups and languages will be handled in reasonable fashions and make sense compared to RW equivalents based on relationships, not based on identical chronology to those RW developments. And based on all this, I'm finding that Mystara's development is making far more sense, and more simply so, than I previously had thought.

Very soon I'll begin posting my work. :D
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:16 pm

Do we have a master document for the timeline set up somewhere? I think it might be a good idea to do that. The threads work well for gathering ideas, but are less effective at organizing them long term. I'd be happy to set up a sharable google doc if you want to do it that way.

Let me know.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Chimpman wrote:Do we have a master document for the timeline set up somewhere? I think it might be a good idea to do that. The threads work well for gathering ideas, but are less effective at organizing them long term. I'd be happy to set up a sharable google doc if you want to do it that way.

Let me know.

I do have a spreadsheet done up with various aspects of the project on it (which I really should share with you). Actually, it's kind of funny you mention it because I was just doing a bit of work on it and thought to myself that you should be able to view the same things I do. PM me your e-mail and I'll send it so you can google doc it.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:08 pm

The google doc was tidied up a little. I tried to copy over the linguistics tab so you could follow what I have so far but it doesn't show any of the connecting lines which is rather important!

Anyway, I haven't done too much on the timeline at all lately, working more on the relationships side of things especially around the Blackmoor era.

What I would like to be able to do is some rough maps showing where peoples were and when. That would help us visually see who could be influencing who and aid determining relationships. I'll see what I can come up with.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:22 pm

While the maps on on hold while I figure out the best way to do them, I've been working on the next phase of the GazH project: a Culture Matrix (on the google doc) collecting brief notes on various cultures. This will be needed to be able to see aspects of all the various cultures that may have been shared, developed, stolen, or imparted by Immortals.

Another interesting part of all this is speculating on when certain cultural elements began, and how/why. "What happened in the past to get today's traditions?"
Hugin
Green Dragon

PreviousNext

Return to GazF Mystara