[Adapting Modules] A1-4 Scourge of the Slave Lords

Continuing the Gazetteer and Module Tradition Beyond the Known World.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, OldDawg

[Adapting Modules] A1-4 Scourge of the Slave Lords

Postby OldDawg » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:14 am

I'm opening this up for people to make suggestions on how non-BECMI/Mystara products could be incorporated into Mystara world, and what alterations would be necessary. To start with, we'll take the Slaver series from AD&D (1e), whether as the composite A1-4 supermodule or as a collection of the four individual models.

The series was originally intended for use as a convention tournament, and the modules were added to as part of their print release to fill them out. The supermodule combines them together with some additional modifications, but it is mostly faithful to the print versions.

The modules are set in the Pomarj of Greyhawk, a peninsula now overrun by humanoids. Humanoid slavers have been raiding the coastal populations of an opposing, human-inhabited peninsula. The party is assigned the job of taking the fight to the slavers.

A1 - Slave Pits of the Undercity
Scenario: PCs assault the ruined temple of Highport, which is the base of the coastal slavers, and fend off the apsis (insect creatures) in the temple sewers.

A2 - Secret of the Slavers Stockade
Scenario: PCs travel overland 110 miles through the Drachensgrab Hills to reach slaver fortress, then infiltrate it and eliminate the slavers.

A3 - Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords
Scenario: The Fortress was not the true headquaters of the slavers. The PCs pass through trap filled, monster heavy area to reach a secret tunnel leading into the hidden city of Suderham where they test their role-playing skills before reaching the catacombs.

A4 - In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords
Scenario: The PCs [presumed captured at the conclusion of A3, deus ex machina] begin trapped deep beneath a volcanic island without any gear. They must free themselves and get off the island as a massive earthquake threatens to bring down the tunnels.

So what can we do with this series for Mystara? We need sea-going slavers who capture victims and then transport them across land, and who have access to a small, unstable volcanic island off their coast.

Any suggestions? (either as a series or individually)

-OldDawg
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.
OldDawg
Troll

Re: [Adapting Modules] A1-4 Scourge of the Slave Lords

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:44 am

OldDawg wrote:I'm opening this up for people to make suggestions on how non-BECMI/Mystara products could be incorporated into Mystara world, and what alterations would be necessary. To start with, we'll take the Slaver series from AD&D (1e), whether as the composite A1-4 supermodule or as a collection of the four individual models.

This series is one I'd always wanted to take a closer look at for conversion myself. Steven Wilson has/is currently posting about it here on the boards (I'm assuming you've probably seen his thread, but if not, take a look.)

I used to own one of the modules- the one featuring the bug people- Slave Pits of the Under City, I think it was. Wasn't ever terribly impressed with it, but I never did give it a very serious look, and I never checked out the others, which I am given to understand got progressively better.

So what can we do with this series for Mystara? We need sea-going slavers who capture victims and then transport them across land, and who have access to a small, unstable volcanic island off their coast.

Offhand, I was always mostly inclined to use the Iron Ring for the Slave Lords, if only due to the stature of the Iron Ring as the most prominent slavers in the Known World (the only ones really developed, actually). Alternatively, Jaibuli slavers could work.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Ashtagon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:35 am

Set in Alphatia, Alphax cultist might make an amusing set of slavers. They even have a big volcano for the endgame scenario.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby BotWizo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:53 pm

could you set the series near irendi, or near the savage coast.

A long time ago I put the series in the known world, but cannot remember the exact location, I think it was on the western edge of the known world, I'll have to do some digging to see if I can find my notes from 15 years ago or so.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby Chimpman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:56 pm

Ashtagon wrote:Set in Alphatia, Alphax cultist might make an amusing set of slavers. They even have a big volcano for the endgame scenario.

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Ashtagon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:34 am

Chimpman wrote:
Ashtagon wrote:Set in Alphatia, Alphax cultist might make an amusing set of slavers. They even have a big volcano for the endgame scenario.

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well.

*casts raise thread*

The problem with this idea though, is that Alphatia is cool with slavery. A cult capturing freemen to use as slaves would get a big "so what?" from the powers that be.

Ierendi or Karameikos is probably a better bet for this. Norwold could work too, especially post-WotI.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Bouv » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:37 am

I've been tossing in my head he idea lately of brining it into my Mystara campaign. You already have an established slaving gang, the Iron Ring in Karameikos. What's to say that they don't have ties to other places?
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby BotWizo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Do you have a plan to bring the whole mega campaign path to Mystara?
This would be;
Temple of Elemental Evil T1-4
Slavers A1-4
Queen of Spiders GDQ1-7

I had set this path in Mystara in the late 80s so now I have to see if I still have notes on what I did and where things were set.
At the time I did not have Gazetteers, I was just using "known world" material, I didn't know about the setting being called Mystara until later.

So now the implementation of setting this path in Mystara probably would be much different than my first approach.

Off the cuff, Temple somewhere in known world or thyatis, Slavers on or near Isle of dawn, Queen of spiders (location ?) .

I would also change the make-up of opponents in some of the products to be more elemental themed throughout.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby Brett McKee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:04 am

I was thinking about doing this too, but was going to combine it with the Isle of Dread. I am not sure where to put highport? Slaves taken would be sent to Highport to be either sold to nations accepting slaves such as Thyatis or sent to the IOD. The slaves are dropped off at the slavers' stockade (probably located somewhere on the western side of the isle) to gain strength in order to make the trip to Suderham which is located on the island on the central plateau.

There will need to be some tweaking of the modules to work. I will probably omit the exploding volcano because I like the idea of a city of evil doers on a secret island trying to plot the downfall of the worlds governments. This just my basic idea on how to make the A series fit into Mystara.
Brett McKee
Gnoll

Postby Yaztromo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:38 pm

I haven't read these adventures, myself, but I suspect many years ago I played a Mystara conversion / adaptation of them with Fort Doom and the Black Eagle Barony as the headquarters of the Slave Lords, plus a diversion to an insland off the coast.
This was part of the first Mystara campaign I played :)
Last edited by Yaztromo on Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby oleck » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:45 pm

That sounds nice. Actualy im playing in Karameikos. My campaing is Fall of the Black Eagle and that could fit in there. In some way you could combine A4 - In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords with the Gaz1 plot Toys of Mad Man. But well is just an idea.
oleck
Gnoll

Postby agathokles » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:44 am

All these option should work well enough. The volcano could be in the Sea of Dread, or Alphaks' Volcano, or in Thanegioth, so the adventure can easily fit Karameikos, Sind, Ierendi, Norwold, the Isle of Dawn or Alphatia.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Return to GazF Mystara