The Companion Adventure Series

The Realms of Norwold Saga explores seven isolated organized nations and towns that are situated along the coast of Norwold or its Great Bay.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, OldDawg

OldDawg
Troll

The Companion Adventure Series

Post by OldDawg » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:59 am

The Adventure Series

There are several areas that will be left "open" in Norwold after Gaz F12 is ultimately released. Most of these areas occupy territory in the interior of Norwold, but there are also a few spots above and to the west of the Great Bay.

These areas normally do not serve as a character's home. The standard-races populations are very light, and the regions are basically wildernesses. What I would like to do with these areas is to couple a mini-gaz (going lighter on things like Society) with a more developed adventure path or campaign module.

Right now I breaking down the regions as:
  • CMF1 Beyond the Final Range with the AP Lokenassaga: [The Ransarn Valley]
  • CMF2 Wyrmsteeth:
  • CMF3 The Hidden Valley: [Druids of Norwold]
  • CMF4 The Giants of Icereach: [Mountain and Fire Giants]
  • CMF5 The Barbarian Lands: [The Viaskoda north of the Great Bay, Littonia's Northwest, and the Plain of Skulls]
  • CMF6 The Ruins of Alinor: [mountains west of the Great Bay - note this is a place where destruction was wrought, not necessarily the location of the actual kingdom]
  • CMF7 Frosthaven: [frost giants]
  • CMF8 Shonak of the North:
We could also add Havard's suggestion for a PCF1 Fey of Norwold as part of this discussion. There is something that will be omitted from Kaarjala that I'd really like to run with.

Any other areas or features that you think I'm missing? I will be setting up working threads for these areas later.

-OldDawg
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: The Companion Adventure Series

Post by Havard » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:13 am

Interesting!

Turning the Fey of Norwold into a PC style book would be interesting. My writeup covered Scandinavian Fey, but perhaps we could investigate Finnish and Baltic Fey (if any) that could be included as well.

Would you consider using any of the Karawenn material at all?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:36 pm

Havard wrote:Turning the Fey of Norwold into a PC style book would be interesting.
Indeed! That would be a great book for sure and add a good deal of flavour to the Norworld region.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:38 pm

OldDawg wrote:What I would like to do with these areas is to couple a mini-gaz (going lighter on things like Society) with a more developed adventure path or campaign module.
So, what you're asking for is a companion-level module... with lots of fluff, right? I'm picturing someting kind of like the DDA modules that had 6-8 pages of adventure and 12-16 pages of background/setting fluff... but on a grander scale.

Let me know if my vision is off or not,
Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:40 pm

So, what you're asking for is a companion-level module... with lots of fluff, right? I'm picturing someting kind of like the DDA modules that had 6-8 pages of adventure and 12-16 pages of background/setting fluff... but on a grander scale.
Some what. Each of these products is basically two booklets. The first booklet is like the existing Gaz's, only shorter at 12-16 pages. The next booklet is 24-36 pages and is the adventure path. Adventure hooks are presented in smaller clusters (like three adventures tied to Lighthall for Basic characters). Each of the mini-groups would have an explanation for how the characters can get into the adventure, and an explanation of future adventure directions within the AP and exit pointers for going elsewhere if the playing group wants to walk away.

I would like to have a b/w map made for each adventure site for the DM's reference, with suggested stockings. Since exploration is an important element, there is also an incomplete b/w player's map.

To underscore the interlocking nature of things, a chart of rumors and information where things become available as adventures are completed (thus allowing permitting the party some non-linear choices), or timing events like invasions and the like.

It is also possible that one particular adventure gets the "complete" treatment as a highlight, like the DDA.

-OldDawg
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:16 am

A possible starting point......
The adventuring party is hired for a mapping expedition, to search out a lost ruin site. Depending on how we wanted to set this up it could be an early "Expert" wilderness adventure on up to something at a higher level.

Just thinking out loud...... :)
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

Dreadnaught
Orc

Post by Dreadnaught » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:36 am

I have this strange feeling that too many companion level opponents would give Norwold the impression that settlement should be nearly impossible.

How about a time limit on a major mapping expedition, perhaps Ericall wants to be better prepared and organized if he makes a second call for adventurers/lords, with the PCs to get first choice if they haven't already started a barony.

The players will ignore or blow through basic opponents and some expert foes while reporting on more dangerous or more numerous foes. Then when a real foe(companion level) appears they get to do the heavy lifting.

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

Post by yellowdingo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 am

Blackmoor influences
The Region previously known as the Borean Valley where for three centuries a Holy war of extermination was waged by the Church Controled Blackmoor against the Beastmen will have been a grave yard of Blackmoor Battlefield technology.

Crusaders in Powered Armour with Flameweapons riding personal flyers are the sort to easily exterminate barbarians but it is a battle that drags out three centuries - implying 'armsdealing to the beastmen' by blackmoorean merchants. Imagine ancient (3000-4000 year old) millitary bases with bunkers filled with abandoned tech. Stockpiles, Resupply drops, Black Ops.

I recommend A Timetravel Adventure DA20 Holy War where the Adventurers must make a decision between the millions of Chaotic Beastmen (Children of Hel) who will be slaughtered and the Absolutist Authoritarian Theocracy that Blackmoor has become during these three hundred years of Church-mandated Crusade. With this much slaughter there must be Ghosts and Horrors even after 4 & 1/2 thousand years. Posessed Power Armour looking for a Warrior to lead a renewed war against the Beast races.

I would Suggest this:

Code: Select all

CMF10 - Pit of Hel (A suit of Blackmoorean Powered Armor, long possessed by the insanity of three centuries of slaughter takes control of a mighty Warrior compelling him/her to build a military unit from scrounged Blackmoorean Weapons scattered at sites across the Borean Valley to lead an army against a non-human (therefor beastman offspring) Kingdom in the Wyrmsteeth/Northern Reaches/Borean Valley region.

Return to “Realms of Norwold”