Leeha Working Thread

The Realms of Norwold Saga explores seven isolated organized nations and towns that are situated along the coast of Norwold or its Great Bay.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, OldDawg

OldDawg
Troll

Leeha Working Thread

Post by OldDawg » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:39 am

This thread is for gathering together everyone's ideas for Leeha and the Western Great Bay area.

Dan Eustace's Leehashire is serving as the base, sans one event.

The Geography is mostly done - its the basic halfling clanholds plus some I-MMB and MA topographical names.

Based on some comments from the old forums, I'd like to make the halflings have some Canadian inspiration.

What are most needed are:
1) What historical and cultural aspects of Canada should be played upon? What kind of good natured ribbing is used across the various provinces? Aside from the Mounties and hockey (and Bret "The Hit Man" Hart :D ), what other things have gained international notoriety/fame (e.g. the McKenzie Brothers)?

2) Aside from the Wendigo and sasquatch, does Canada have any other legendary monsters?

3) What kind of adventures can we base around a business, particularly a bar?

4) What local events should the halflings experience?

5) Anythings else?

-OldDawg
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Re: Leeha Working Thread

Post by Gawain_VIII » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:00 am

OldDawg wrote:what other things have gained international notoriety/fame
Bad bards/entertainers, a la Celene Dion and William Shatner. (Before anyone says anything, I'm an avid Star Trek fan--so I'm allowed to make fun of Shatner!)

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:21 am

ok, we have GOT TO have one notorious Leehashire halfling gain a captaincy in the Alphatian navy. Somehow by chance, his ship was was on an errant mission when Alphatia went whoops, and he is now on a continuing mission to yadda yadda yadda ...

ETA: also, maple syrup and waffles. And poutaine.

ETA: thinking more on our hin navy captain, I'd imagine that he would use Leeha as a base, but roam far and wide. In extreme emergencies, he would come back in defence of leeha, thus giving the area at least a token skyship navy.

As for his class, under BECMI/GAZ8, he would have to be a halfling master, as no other class would give him the magical aptitude he'd need to get that commission in the first place. For 2E/3E rules, make him a halfling druid.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Post by JoeNotCharles » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:39 am

OldDawg wrote: What are most needed are:
1) What historical and cultural aspects of Canada should be played upon? What kind of good natured ribbing is used across the various provinces? Aside from the Mounties and hockey (and Bret "The Hit Man" Hart :D ), what other things have gained international notoriety/fame (e.g. the McKenzie Brothers)?
The Métis are pretty cool - they were a large group of mixed blood, where aboriginals intermarried with settlers and formed a cohesive enough community to be recognized as a people in their own right (alongside the First Nations and the Inuit). In Mystara a race of half-elves would work well for this. Early in Canada's history, they were united under a charismatic leader, Louis Riel, who led several rebellions.

The Hudson's Bay Company could be portrayed in an adventurous way like the East India Company of the Pirates of the Caribbean films - a huge mercantile power, nominally under the control of a great power but mostly left to its own devices, operating through lone agents and also running several forts and fleets. (Maybe it's a company of Alphatian or Thyatian adventurers, or maybe it's an outpost of the Empire of Dorfin IV - somebody in another thread mentioned making that into a trading empire.)

French Canadian loggers, trappers and fur traders could be good woodsmen type characters. In fact, now that I think of it French Canadian fur-trading halflings would be awesome!
OldDawg wrote: 2) Aside from the Wendigo and sasquatch, does Canada have any other legendary monsters?
Ogopogo
The Sleeping Giant

A lot of Canadian mythology is based on Native myths, but that's a big overlap with the Atraughin Clans way in the south - doesn't make much sense to have more natives up here. However, I don't think Inuit culture is covered anywhere yet - I think that should be a big part of it.

Nanook of the North and Sedna are probably the most well-known Inuit figures. (Sedna would be an awesome Immortal.) The most recognizable Inuit symbol is the Inukshuk or "inunnguaq", as seen on the flag of Nunavut.

Werewolves ("loup-garoux") are big in French Canadian folklore.

JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Post by JoeNotCharles » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:41 am

Ashtagon wrote:ETA: also, maple syrup and waffles. And poutaine.
HEY! This is a family game!

(You mean "poutine". Poutaine is something COMPLETELY different.)

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:48 am

JoeNotCharles wrote:
Ashtagon wrote:ETA: also, maple syrup and waffles. And poutaine.
HEY! This is a family game!

(You mean "poutine". Poutaine is something COMPLETELY different.)
:oops:
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

cab
Storm Giant

Post by cab » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:49 am

Thats an interesting (and diffeent!) take on halflings!

I wonder... Are legends of the hodag found up in Canada? I can provide stats for that critter from my campaign.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:44 pm

OldDawg wrote:3) What kind of adventures can we base around a business, particularly a bar?
Canadian Mystaraphile chiming in and for this you'd have to have a parody of Tim Horton's. Some kind of coffee serving tavern that also specializes in pastries - perfect for halflings!

Having the northern wilderness modeled after french-Canadians would be very appropriate as well as having a large trading company.

Sorry, never heard of the hodag. Interesting story behind it though.

JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Post by JoeNotCharles » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:36 am

Ashtagon wrote:ok, we have GOT TO have one notorious Leehashire halfling gain a captaincy in the Alphatian navy. Somehow by chance, his ship was was on an errant mission when Alphatia went whoops, and he is now on a continuing mission to yadda yadda yadda ...
Oh, hey, if the Alphatian Navy is involved, some analog of the Halifax Explosion would be an awesome adventure hook.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:20 pm

JoeNotCharles wrote:Oh, hey, if the Alphatian Navy is involved, some analog of the Halifax Explosion would be an awesome adventure hook.
Absolutely! Or it could even have happened in recent memory. Good call.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:39 pm

Is there such a thing as the Halfling Commonwealth? :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:00 pm

There may not be Inuits, but there are Littonians and Kaarjalans nearby. Not exactly the same, but Mystara is based on those small dislocations. Plus, Antalians, and imperial powers (Alphatia, Thyatis, Heldann more to the south).
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:47 am

Andaire wrote:There may not be Inuits, but there are Littonians and Kaarjalans nearby. Not exactly the same, but Mystara is based on those small dislocations. Plus, Antalians, and imperial powers (Alphatia, Thyatis, Heldann more to the south).
How about having Halflings who have become one with the wilderness and developed a sort of shamanistic culture drawing on various Canadian indigenous groups?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:24 am

Pardon the info-dump, but these are some things over at the old board relevant to Leeha:

What kind of problems does a businessman need to keep apprised of? [rivals, worker issues, arson attempts, shakedowns, hands in the till, etc]

Mark: Every business needs suppliers, so there could be a need to search for new suppliers (the monks on a high isolated mountain make the most wonderful beer, but they are surrounded by Orcs/Goblins/Kobolds), or existing suppliers are having problems (the water supply for the brewery is tainted, and the beer is undrinkable or poisonous). There were a couple of similar ideas in the Darokin Gaz, so that might be a good place to look.

Ray: Lumber mills could be a big industry. A shade of gray hook would be that the lumbermen, who own the land that they are logging, are denuding the forest. Which is the right thing for the party to do? Respect the property rights of the lumbermen or work to stop the clear cutting of the land?

Patrick: I'd recommend turning to the Darokin gazetteer for at least some ideas, since the merchant class as detailed there has great ideas for incorporating the entrepreneurial spirit into adventuring. In a town like Leeha, the ability to gather and remember gossip and the ability to resolve disputes could also come in handy. You could also draw inspiration from reality tv shows, particularly those like The Apprentice or Hell's Kitchen that show some of the challenges in working in/leading a team.

In my long-dead Norwold campaign, the Heldannic Knights worked tirelessly to administer holdings on behalf of the proprietors through much of Norwold. They would run landholdings and businesses, for a fee, on behalf of the absentee landlords or adventurers who simply do not have the time or inclination for the administrative details, while carefully flattering and leading the owners. It was a pretty effective strategy for extending their influence northward, but having someone largely neutral, like the halflings of Leeha, to administer holdings might be even more attractive.

Khuzd: Leeha sounds to me a frontier city. This means that adventurers are usually staying here between expeditions to the wilderness.

I suspect many fire-oriented wizards travel to Leeha (may be in disguise). They are on way to the Arch of Fire (the doorway to the Plane of Fire).

About taverns and inns in a fantasy setting: I recommend the "Vlad Taltos" novels, by Steven Brust. The main character is a thief-petty sorcerer who owns a small criminal organization in a city.

About a lumberjack industry: it sounds interesting; you would have angry treants, pixies, sprites, dryads and wild tribes of satyr terrorists...

Havard: I once played a character in a Wheel of Time campaign who was an inkeeper. The Inn was named the Captain's Solace or something like that, as my character was a retired city guard captain. We used the Inn as a base of operations, and trouble always found its way there. We usually dealt with various annoying authorities (those Aes Sedai Witches thinking they could barge in and take over), murder mysteries ("Keep it quiet, I have a reputation to think of"), City guards investigating possible regulation violations ("You are not a Captain anymore you know"), suspicious guests ("Who would have thought that drunkard regular was one of Shaitan's Disciples?"), arson attemps etc.

I could also see potential for smuggling (You can get this wine extra cheap), securing good product delivieries (Helping a famous hunter in return for a steady supply of fresh meat), fishy employees and getting dragged into all sorts of local drama and rivalries. If you have ever watched the British show "Allo Allo", you can get some more ideas from that one.

Ofcourse, since it is D&D, the Inkeeper should always watch mysterious strangers meeting up with a group of adventurers in his bar...

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:05 am

Hugin wrote:Sorry, never heard of the hodag. Interesting story behind it though.

I would recommend those wanting to help with the fauna (and generally interested parties) to take a look at this site: http://www.fearsomecreaturesofthelumberwoods.com/.

It's a hypertext version put up by a high school kid of a book now in the public domain. He added some interesting size comparison and range maps, too, for the first few creatures. The hodag is one of the creatures described in it.

Cab, could you post up your stats of the hodag?

-OD

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:07 am

From the old Boards

Havard: *Staying in Canada... maybe a little silly, but how about some culture or organization based on Canadian Mounties? At first I thought about having Halfling Sherrifs of Leeha dress up in red coats and broad brimmed hats, but it could also be used elsewhere...

Ray: Halflings as Dudley Do-Right, Snidely Whiplash, Nell Fenwick and Horse (well maybe as Pony instead and NOT a halfling)! That would be a perfect one-off!

OD: Quote:
Halflings as Dudley Do-Right, Snidely Whiplash, Nell Fenwick and Horse (well maybe as Pony instead and NOT a halfling)! That would be a perfect one-off!

More Leeha than the Ransarn, but an excellent bit of comedy to put in. And to go with Havard's Canadian concept, the Leehashire Khrondar could be mounties.

Plaag
Troll

Post by Plaag » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:14 am

Wisconsin Hodag

This is sort of an attraction now for a town to the far North of me. Which doesn't have to much else going for it. :)

ShaneG.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:02 am

I've never heard of a "hodag", I'll have to quiz my father on that one.

Plaag, I didn't realize you were in Wisconsin. My family is from Platteville (SW corner of the state).

Hodag does sound like something we could work in. Maybe one town has a problem? 8-)
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:45 pm

I thought I'd post some ideas for the Leehan Mounties....sorry about the point-form structure.

The Leehan Vanguard

- frontier force colloquially known as “the Red Lads” (or, “the Lads”), known internally as “the Force”
- motto “Uphold the Law”
- provide policing services, protection for senior officials and visiting dignitaries, patrol frontier
- formed to enforce Leehan sovereignty over unclaimed lands – spurred by reports of encroachment by other dominions and mercantile interests (trade being conducted on the fringes of Leehan territory without its permission)
- organised along lines of cavalry regiment (standard equipment would be small crossbow, short sword, field pack, northern pony)
- reputation for being steadfast and incorruptible, tendency to be dogged and inflexible in interpreting the laws (i.e., pressure to “do the right thing” no matter what comes out of it)
- ranks: Captain, Inspector, Sergeant, Corporal, Constable, Sub-constable

As a potential sub-class, I think PCs should have some experience before becoming one (maybe minimum level 2-3). Part of the training programme would entail time out in the field, weapon/nonweapon skills (available slots would be taken up immediately; PC would be unable to choose others until they have been "paid for"), and oaths of service. The last bit should be pretty binding - as an (officially) lawfully-aligned organisation, members are held to a very strict code of conduct (much like paladins, I would imagine), with XP penalties for any deviations. There would probably be a minimum term of service, too, with severe penalties for deserters.

Geoff
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

OldDawg
Troll

Leehan Special Classes

Post by OldDawg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:14 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:I thought I'd post some ideas for the Leehan Mounties....sorry about the point-form structure.
Point-form structure is actually encouraged.
The Leehan Vanguard

As a potential sub-class,...
How about we make the Leehan Vanguard a group ala the Order of the Griffon, and create a "Do-Right" prestige class to serve as the paladin equivalent for halfing fighters of sufficient size? In lieu of spells and turning as C/3, what abilities does a Do-Righter command in addition to a regular Lad? Any drawbacks?

Also, What alterations should be used to create a single class halfling C/M/T (assuming the standard is a halfling fighter).

We have
  • a drop of 1 hit die size
  • weapon size restrictions
  • hiding ability
  • AC bonus against large opponents
  • Equal XP levels
  • Attack Rank special saves
There is also the limit on HD (even if levels are allowed to go to 36, I'd like to cap it at 8)

Finally, third special class, businessman, is a continuation of the Role Playing classes like magician and bawd. It will be worked up equivalently.

-OD

OldDawg
Troll

Appropriate Leehan Names

Post by OldDawg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:20 am

Looking for appropriate names common among Canadians, both given and family.

I'll tabulate in this post as the come in

Male Names

Female Names

Surnames

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:16 am

The following are current candidates for NPCs.

Humans
  • Ariadne Beornsdottir (AC1)
  • Jasper the White (AC1)
  • Friar Fergus (AC1)
  • Nestor the Wise (AC1)
  • Alak Dool (CM1)
  • Kwyll (CM1)
  • Barkal the Red (CM1)
  • Sieger von Duwn (MA)
  • Uther Metzger (MA)
  • [Red Ork] (MA)
Elves
  • Elspeth Deerhunter (AC1)
  • Lachlan the Warrior (AC1)
Halflings
  • Glinda Nimblefingers (CM3)
  • Begol Burrowell (AC1)
  • Brandywine Barefoot (AC1)
  • Pauline Patterwell (AC1)
  • Sam Smallsole (AC1)
  • Shaedrik Divotfoot (PWA/MA)
  • Collin the Sheriff (CM1)
  • Lavim Hollister (MA)
Dragons
  • Old Smokeynose (CM1)
  • Quentin Jax (MA)
  • Kiriakiss (MA)

Please feel free to suggest others.

-OD

OldDawg
Troll

Leehan timeline

Post by OldDawg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:31 am

Here is a skeleton outline of Leeha's timeline (post-halfing presence)

Settle at Nimbleville 400
Next Goodfield 452, Port Hinly 453
Orc War 468-469
Divotfoot 470
Grassy Knoll and Barrydwell 477
Dragonlord ca. 510
Frost Giant War 532
Sunnyville 640 [*Battle of Skulls: Kaarjala, Littonia, Barbarians, Goblins vs invading horde]
Maracope 702
Meet the Essurians 750?
Up White Bear, down in south 786
Frost Giant War2 – destruction of Barrydwell ??
Leeha 832
Akra 854-874, destruction of Sunnyville
Highthicket 864
Merrybrooke 901
Contact with Thyatian colonies, 900-950
Deep Exploration of White Bear, 950-990
Orc War 2 - destruction of Maracope
Catberg Orcs [under Green Dragon?] 99x defeated at Lake Galasst [984?]
Dragons go Crazy 993

Any suggestions gladly welcomed

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Re: Appropriate Leehan Names

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:54 pm

OldDawg wrote:Looking for appropriate names common among Canadians, both given and family.
That's kind of difficult, as it depends on the era we're using as a basis. If we are thinking about "historical" Canada (i.e., 18th-19th Century) then we're looking at everything from:
-the settlement and conquest of New France;
-the Acadian expulsion;
-War of 1812;
-1837 Rebellion (here's a link) we should try and work this one in, as it ties in with theme of oligarchies, responsible government, and the like (some people were even deported to Australia because of their involvement);
-opening the West, the railroads, and Mounties;
-Confederation (dont know how Leeha is structured politically, but if we`re using Canada as a rough model there should be some tension between the centre and the regions - the fact that Leeha`s a large, sparsely-inhabited territory strengthens the analogy IMO)

The ethnic stocks we would be using would be French, Scottish, Irish, and English (of the British groups, Scottish and English would predominate - even today, there`s a strong Scottish thread going through Canadian society, and not just in the eastern provinces). So, if you used birth registrations for England, Scotland, or Canada in the 19th C. you`d be doing well. I`ll share some from my own family history (1850-1890) - those with asterisks popped up frequently (must have been popular family names, I suppose):

Boys
1. John*
2. William* Richard
3. Herbert James
4. Frank
5. Arthur Robert
6. Raymond
7. Charles* George
8. Edward
9. Stephen
10. Henry

Girls
1. Maud* Mary
2. Lillian Elizabeth
3. Sophie
4. Amy* Dorothy
5. Katherine Emma
6. Adelaide
7. Doris
8. Rachel
9. Mabel Annie
10. Emily

Some English surnames that might be suitable for hin (taken from 19th C. marriage records online - I won`t say which ones are mine ;) ):

Alderton, Barrick, Blaber, Blake, Botting, Bristow, Broadwater, Buckby, Clampitt, Cobburn, Crockett, Crout, Dallaway, Dewberry, Easton, Etherton, Flowerday, Foan, Frogley, Gatrell, Huggett, Hylands, Inwards, Johnson, Kearvell, Lidgate, Malthouse, Mant, Mewett, Muddle, Mulcaster, Musselwhite, Noakes, Nutley, Ockenden, Pelling, Pepall, Perren, Pilbean, Puttick, Rapley, Sargent, Scrase, Scrutton, Skilton, Smith, Snelling, Snook, Tebbs, Tether, Theaball, Tibbetts, Tulley, Twyman, Upton, Waghorn, Wells, Wickings, Woolgar

Common French given names from that period would be:

1. Charles
2. Pierre
3. Jean*
4. Paul
5. Étienne
6. Raymond
7. Jacques
8. Samuel
9. Louis
10. René

*and permutations thereof - i.e., Jean-Pierre, Jean-Paul, Jean-Jacques, Étienne-René.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Ashtagon wrote:ok, we have GOT TO have one notorious Leehashire halfling gain a captaincy in the Alphatian navy. Somehow by chance, his ship was was on an errant mission when Alphatia went whoops, and he is now on a continuing mission to yadda yadda yadda ...

ETA: also, maple syrup and waffles. And poutaine.
If we`re using Canadian historical figures, we need to have someone based on Sam Steele, the legendary Mountie who worked up in the Klondike.

Geoff

My Blog is here!

Return to “Realms of Norwold”