Ransarn Valley Working Thread

The Realms of Norwold Saga explores seven isolated organized nations and towns that are situated along the coast of Norwold or its Great Bay.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, OldDawg

OldDawg
Troll

Ransarn Valley Working Thread

Post by OldDawg » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:47 am

This is the working thread to pull together the Companion Adventure project for Beyond the Final Range about the Ransarn-Vinisk-Gunaald Valley and the accompanying Adventure path "Lokenassaga" which begins in Lighthall before sending the party into the mountains.

From the old MMB:
Lokena (as per Gaz F7) was one of the "illegal" nobles of Glantri that was expelled following the Light of Rad Parliament session. She returned to her native/ancestral home of Heldann, did enough to become famous and left for the north.

[In IM2, she has adopted to guise of Athena, and prides herself on her martial prowess (presumably fighter was her first class along the way to becoming a polymath).]

Basically: Warlord in Glantri, Outlaw (T) in Heldann, and then picks up C/M in the Ransarn. Not the four separate lives of the Polymath, but a true polymathic individual who slowly aquired great talent in each major field.

More info to come.

-OldDawg
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

OldDawg
Troll

Re: Ransarn Valley Working Thread

Post by OldDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:12 am

Pardon the info dump from the old Boards

Okay,

I've been AWOL for a while, so I offer this beta-version map of the Ransarn for your enjoyment.

This is for a tentative Campaign Module/Adventure Path in lower Norwold that involves the Heldannic polymath Lokena, Essuria, Nithia, Darga and Gylgarid, plus the normal jumble of humanoids and petty dominion lords.

As a means of turning this into a joint project - I'm advertisizing for ruin maps, adventure hooks and 3-adventure arc descriptions, and any other ideas you might have.

Feel free to say what you'd like out of this area.

-OldDawg

Khuzd: Some ideas for adventures/campaigns:

- 1) A dark, evil clan of treants from the deep forests of Gnomstal conquer the fluvial village of Hegkogur and use black magics to expand "evil" through the river course. This "evil water" increasingly awakens trees with a dark heart, man-hating mentality in the forests next to the Ransarn river.

- 2) A powerful Were-Bat which is also a high priest of Thanatos (or Hel) has established a stronhold in the ruins of Orvan, next to the lake. He creates an army of were-bats (offers them plenty of cattle and even human prisoners for blood) and also of undead. They conquer easily the fishing village of Arcadia (the undead came by surprise from underwater!, they went undetected from Orvan ruins). Now the new undead/werebat army is heading towards Two-Lakes Vale. Heros are needed to kill the Were-bat necromantic leader before the evil army destroys the village.

- 3) In the snow glaciers there are snow-lions and snow-tigers. Their white furs are very appreciated in all Norwold, Alphatia and northern countries. But there are also frost giants and vicious white evil sasquatches. And also, when the hunting heroes go there, they will find that licanthopy arrived sooner: white snow were-lions and were-tigers.

Havard: It's good to have you back OldDawg! The map looks good. It made me realize how big Norwold really is and how much room we have for developing new regions like this one.

I will have to read up on the Immortals you mention. (Did you develop these in the Heldann Gaz? WotI says Lokena was from Glantri BTW... )

The first thing that caught my interest however, was the southeastern region of Gnomstal.

The first thing I thought was that it could have some link to the Norwegian region of Romsdal, but I couldn't really come up with any way to make that interesting. At least I haven't yet.

The more obvious idea was ofcourse that this has to have something to do with Gnomes. This would be a great opportunity to give Gnomes the recognition they deserve in Mystara. Garl Glitterlode is too smart to have bet all his cards on Highforge and Torkyn falls. He must have had a backup plan for a Gnome settlement on Brun. Will Gnomes be a major feature of the gaz?

The Gnome Crucible Discovered - The Cauldron of Power. The Forge of Power, the Tree of Life and the Blackflame Crucible. The Gnomes have a unique Crucible of their own. It aids them in the fine Gnome art of Alchemy. Brewing of potions and the like have always been a Gnome speciality. Perhaps this could be one of the things that set Gnomestal Gnomes apart from other Mystaran Gnomes?

OD: Quote:
WotI says Lokena was from Glantri BTW...

WOTI says a lot of things ....

As was explained in Gaz F7 The Heldannic Order, Lokena was one of the "illegal" nobles of Glantri that was expelled following the Light of Rad Parliament session. She returned to her native/ancestral home of Heldann, did enough to become famous and left for the north.

[In IM2, she has adopted to guise of Athena, and prides herself on her martial prowess (presumably fighter was her first class along the way to becoming a polymath).]

Basically: Warlord in Glantri, Outlaw (T) in Heldann, and then picks up C/M in the Ransarn. Not the four separate lives of the Polymath, but a true polymathic individual who slowly aquired great talent in each major field.

Quote:
the southeastern region of Gnomstal. ... have something to do with Gnomes.

While not a bad idea, the Gnomstal was introduced in Gaz F8 the Streets of Landfall - the "Gnom" here refers to goblins ("der Gnom" - Germ.) not gnomes - a potential point of confusion the gaz points out.

Quote:
two evil BBGs and a blude dragon in the module about Two Lakes Vale

Those BBGs are Ulslime the Chaosar (who was tied into Gaz F2 The Denizens of Denagoth, with Chaosars being political apostates in the Church of Idris that seek to overturn the existing leadership so they can return to power) and Wazor the Atlantean Wizard (2nd reference to Alphatia as Atlantis). I've decided to make the Atlanteans a special group of Alphatian mages, including Gargantua. The Blue Dragon is Khorbundar.

All three can pop up in the events of the valley, as can the Death Stone and the Temple of the Stars.

The settlements are:
Humanoids: Terragur, Hrisey, Hegkogur, Lepa Krak (all in Gaz F8)
Traldaran/Other Transplants: Saffir, Relfren (Gaz F9)
Nithian: Akrothep (more below)
Foresthome elves: Meliniath
Norwolder: Atea, Forestholm, Orvan, Arcadia (with Dwarves, Essurians, and Icereach Barbarians), Two-Lakes (with Essurians), Lokeda
Essurians: Drax Ruthiss (isolated after Henadin's march and destroyed by the Vanatics), Arum Del (more below), Serussia, Arcadia, Two-Lakes

In the overall development of the campaign module, Arum Del should function as a Well of Souls site - it points to hidden Akrothep. Akrothep was an important locale during the Nithian's final age: involved with generating the locations to important sites around the globe (such as the Arch of Fire, whatever they were after in Davania when they planted slaves, etc), a training ground/lab to aid or counter the Savage Coast Nithians, and - really deep into GazF backstory - a beacon for Thanatos after he reconstitutes following Nithia's destruction (even "failures" are steps towards his ultimate goals). Darga and Gylgarid will be born out of this site.

Lokeda was established by Lokena, and contains a training ground for polymathic characters (Special Rules section).

The campaign module outline is to start out in Lighthall dealing with pirates, humanoids, and trapped caverns whose treasures point in the direction of the Ransarn.

Early Expert is spent crossing and mapping the Valley from Saffir to Arcadia, where they pick up Baron Malthus Fharo and help him locate and claim his fief. At that point they are in the valley and now strong enough to start dealing with the bigger mysteries lurking here.

Some adventures also could lead back to Lighthall or Landfall (particularly tying in the strange artifacts with the Association for Atinquities and Aquisitions and the Dark Masters; and political complications with GHOST). Others could require a journey to the Tower of the Nameless One, who has information about the older sites. So the module really lives in GazF continuity.

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:11 am

OldDawg wrote: 1) A dark, evil clan of treants from the deep forests of Gnomstal conquer the fluvial village of Hegkogur and use black magics to expand "evil" through the river course. This "evil water" increasingly awakens trees with a dark heart, man-hating mentality in the forests next to the Ransarn river.
I like this one!!!!!!! :D
OldDawg wrote:The more obvious idea was ofcourse that this has to have something to do with Gnomes.
I also like the oppurtunity to expand the gnomes. If there is a 2nd class citizen of Mystara it has to be the gnome!
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:55 am

I believe this clarification is in order
OldDawg wrote: Quote:
the southeastern region of Gnomstal. ... have something to do with Gnomes.

This was actually a suggestion from Havard. My response was
While not a bad idea, the Gnomstal was introduced in Gaz F8 the Streets of Landfall - the "Gnom" here refers to goblins ("der Gnom" - Germ.) not gnomes - a potential point of confusion the gaz points out.
That's the problem with info-dumping.

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:33 am

I understand that "Gnomstal" has nothing to do with gnomes. There is still plenty of land on the interior of Norwold that could use a little gnomish love! :D
metal
Long live Mystara

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:37 am

Hey, I was surprised at the mention of the village of Arcadia in this continuity; so you are trying to ensure some level of compatibility with the MA-continuity too, aren't you?
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:48 am

Andaire wrote:Hey, I was surprised at the mention of the village of Arcadia in this continuity; so you are trying to ensure some level of compatibility with the MA-continuity too, aren't you?
Where possible, I try to maintain cross-continuity compatibility. So Arcadia was positioned according to the MA way back when I developed Gaz F2. After a long reflection on some matters, I will be retconning the area north of the Ransarn to be closer to the Italian MMB Norwold project (Stamtral, Vyolstagrad) so that will affect 1-2 baronies, but pointers will still placed should users want to go in the MA direction.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:43 pm

OldDawg wrote:Where possible, I try to maintain cross-continuity compatibility. So Arcadia was positioned according to the MA way back when I developed Gaz F2. After a long reflection on some matters, I will be retconning the area north of the Ransarn to be closer to the Italian MMB Norwold project (Stamtral, Vyolstagrad) so that will affect 1-2 baronies, but pointers will still placed should users want to go in the MA direction.
Interesting choice! I do like parts of this version of Norwold and in any case it might not make too much sense to reinvent the light when we already have lots of good stuff available?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:29 am

Is there any sort of back story for the ruins (Drax Ruthiss, Akrothep, Arum Del, Serussia, and Orvan)?

Just wondering.
metal
Long live Mystara

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:49 am

I stumbled on this pic.
http://www.keithparkinson.com/gallery.p ... mg=kbrist1
Go to "Gallery"
Then "Book Covers"
Fourth one down
Looking from Serussia across Lake Gunaald towards Arcadia?

Just an idea.

Edit: because I can't get the darn link to work right. I give up. :x
metal
Long live Mystara

happylarry
Ogre

Post by happylarry » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Old Dawg wrote:
Those BBGs are Ulslime the Chaosar (who was tied into Gaz F2 The Denizens of Denagoth, with Chaosars being political apostates in the Church of Idris that seek to overturn the existing leadership so they can return to power) and Wazor the Atlantean Wizard (2nd reference to Alphatia as Atlantis). I've decided to make the Atlanteans a special group of Alphatian mages, including Gargantua. The Blue Dragon is Khorbundar.
I was thinking about using Gargantua in the Borea valley area - just wondered if you had any more details on what you were planning? It would seem he would make a great uber-villain, and should have a wide range of influence - after all, these gargantuan creatures are going to need space!

H

Return to “Realms of Norwold”