Help Build Leeha! - Businesses

The Realms of Norwold Saga explores seven isolated organized nations and towns that are situated along the coast of Norwold or its Great Bay.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, OldDawg

OldDawg
Troll

Help Build Leeha! - Businesses

Post by OldDawg » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:44 pm

This thread is part of the GazF Recovery Act of 2009 ;) , in which I make an appeal to the community for small contributions of content to help resurrect the GazF line.

In this thread, please post your ideas for a small business that operates in Leeha or one of the other halfling clanholds. I'm looking for a brief, one to two paragraph description of the business and some detail points.

Example

The Shady Dragon Inn
Owner/Operator: Sam Smallsoles
Staff Size: 3 including 1 serving wench, 1 stable hand, 1 ostler; looking to hire
Type of Business: Food, Drinks, Lodging
Economic Activity: Steady, Growing

The Shady Dragon Inn is a famous tavern and inn operation in Leeha with the capacity to serve humans. It serves as a common meeting hall for adventurers in the western Great Bay region of Norwold. Lodging is available in the common hall (5cp/night) or in personal rooms upstairs (10gp/night, 2 rooms).

The owner, Sam Smallsoles, has considered expanding his business model by franchising the Shady Dragon Inn concept to more removed locations such as Alpha, Oceansend, Kaarjala, and the petty kingdoms to the west beyond the Icereach Mountains. These Inns will also serve as the nodes of a new network of trade and parcel and information delivery.
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Re: Help Build Leeha! - Businesses

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:31 pm

Markus Barrick’s Travel Shoppe
Owner/Operator: Markus Barrick
Staff Size: 2 (1 stockboy, 1 outfitter); looking to hire
Type of Business: General Goods

The Travel Shoppe is Leeha’s oldest, and most established, general provisioners catering to explorers, adventurers, and other frontiershin. Everything a hin traveller might need - including climbing gear, outerwear, backpacks, tents, rations, and small weapons – can be bought here at reasonable prices (for the far north). Markus frequently boasts that if you can’t find what you’re looking for in his shop, you don’t need it.

Markus, ever with an eye on the competition, is looking for opportunities to make connections with foreign suppliers, in order to diversify his stock.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:47 pm

Bucky-Starrs Coffee House
Owner/Operator: Bucky Bramblefoot and Sidney Starrs
Staff Size: 1 “Buckstarista” (glorified server); always looking to hire
Type of Business: Food, Drinks

Bucky-Starrs bills itself as the first of a new generation of coffee houses, with original coffee and tea blends, authentic Glantrian pastries, and a glitzy atmosphere. The prices are in line with the frills offered, but the younger generation of ambitious Leehan merchants seems to have few qualms about laying down a gold piece for a mondo Ochalean soy cinnamon latté with extra cream.

Bucky and Sidney, convinced that Timm & Horton’s is yesterday’s news, plan to establish franchises in other major Leehan settlements in the coming years.

My Blog is here!

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:02 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:Bucky and Sidney, convinced that Timm & Horton’s is yesterday’s news, plan to establish franchises in other major Leehan settlements in the coming years.
:lol: Love it! But you just know that by the time the Great War ends after 1010 A.C., Bucky-Starrs will be closing coffee houses while Timm & Horton's continue to slowly expand!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:07 pm

...and universal balance is restored.

I mean, seriously - soy lattés?!?! Call me old fashioned, but if I wanted that I'd go to a tea house or health food store. I tend to believe that coffee shops should sell coffee and grocery stores should sell food (and not clothes or electronics). But I'm strange that way. :|

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Bear River Academy for Boys
Owner/Operator: C. George Poolfellow (Headmaster)
Staff Size: 16 (8 lecturers, 4 maids, 2 cooks, 1 groundskeeper, 1 coach/drillmaster); hiring by word of mouth
Type of Business: School
Economic Activity: Steady, Slowly Growing

The Bear River Academy (called “the A” by alumni) was founded in AC 893 by Herman Rosefellow, a distinguished captain of the Leehan Vanguard who wanted to do his part in training the next generation of Leehan leaders. Competition is stiff for the 30 positions made available each year, and all entrants are subjected to a barrage of examinations and physical tests. The total student body ranges from 250-300.

Those who pass, and whose parents can afford the tuition, are subjected to ten years of intense schooling, coupled with daily physical exercise, compulsory sports, and military drilling (the coach/drillmaster is always a serving member of the Leehan Vanguard on special assignment). Students wear navy blue uniforms reminiscent of Vanguard cadets, and live in spartan residences according to a highly regimented schedule.

Just under half of each year’s entrants can expect to graduate, and those that do almost invariably end up in positions of prominence. Alumni, who recognise each other by their school rings, are called “old A-boys".

NB: The Academy is based on a mixture of Upper Canada College and Royal Military College - both of which are classic schools (well, the latter is a university) in the English/Upper Canada tradition. The headmaster is stern, the lecturers unforgiving, and the coach/drillmaster falls neatly into the psychotic Sergeant-Major category ("if it doesn't hurt, you're not learning").

My Blog is here!

lordnordeth
Goblin

Post by lordnordeth » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:42 pm

Seer of Yhog ("if it doesn't hurt, you're not learning").
And if it DOES hurt, then it obviously doesn't hurt ENOUGH, because you're still complaining!

Yep...sounds about right!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:40 pm

Crockett & James – Leatherworkers

Owner/Operator: Perry Crockett
Staff Size: 6 including 2 cutters, 1 lastmaker, 2 shoemakers/sewers, 1 finisher; looking to hire
Type of Business: Shoemaking, Fine Leathercrafting
Economic Activity: Busy, Steady

Crockett & James was founded 50 years ago by Percy Crockett and Mervin James, two enterprising yallaren from the Five Shires. Both came from leatherworking families, and they found Leeha to be the ideal place to ply their craft. They quickly built a reputation for making fine quality leather bags, belts, and gloves, but branched into footwear for the human and dwarven community when they saw their competitor, E.D. Greenly, getting into the act. The company’s shoes and boots (simply called “C&Js” by loyal customers) are well known for their comfort and durability.

Perry inherited the business from his father ten years ago, and is always looking for new ways to beat out his main competitor, E.D. Greenly. He has begun to experiment with rubber (imported from the far south through his cousins in the Shires).

E.D. Greenly - Leatherworkers

Owner/Operator: Harold Greenly IV
Staff Size: 5 including 2 cutters, 1 lastmaker, 1 shoemakers/sewers, 1 finisher
Type of Business: Shoemaking, Fine Leathercrafting
Economic Activity: Steady, Steady

E.D. Greenly, the “leathercrafter for the tasteful customer”, dominated the Leehan fine leatherworking trade for over 100 years, supplying the wealthy, the status-conscious, and the Vanguard with some of the finest belts, gloves, backpacks, and overcoats in the north. All that changed with the arrival of Crockett & James. Harold Greenly III, noticing an increase in the number of non-hin in Leeha, started making footwear with the same attention to detail that marked his other products, and the money started pouring in – but even this edge did not last long. Were it not for the contract to supply the Vanguard, the company would be in serious trouble.

Harold Greenly IV is a bitter hin who blames Crockett & James for his company’s slowed growth. Rather than branching into new product areas, he is focusing on improving the finishing on his goods to make them more exclusive.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:24 pm

Harry Poole & Co.
Owner/Operators: Frank and Charles Poole
Staff Size: 3 including 1 cutter, 2 apprentice tailors.
Type of Business: Tailoring
Economic Activity: Steady, Steady

Harry Poolfellow, an ambitious young hin on his yallara, left Shireton 80 years ago to seek his fortune, and ended up in Leeha. He found a hard land filled with hin busily building a better homeland – he just wanted them to look better while doing it. He made durable outfits cut in patterns that were fashionable in the Shires at the time, in bold, colourful patterns that brought joy. Business took off, and Harry’s sons continued the tradition – though they changed their name to Poole to distinguish themselves from the local Poolfellow clan. Today, Harry Poole is known throughout Leeha as being the place to have quality clothing made, out of almost any material. One of their slogans boldly claims, “Whatever you bring, we’ll suit you with it.”

The current owners, brothers Frank and Charles, are the third generation to run the business. Although they have no intention of expanding, and never advertise any openings (would-be tailors come to them), they do keep a close eye on the competition. Frank, in particular, dreams of having his business become known throughout the north as the foremost tailor.

My Blog is here!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:56 am

Short's Sawmill
Owner/Operator: Geoffrey Short
Staff Size: 5
Type of Business: Sawmill
Economic Activity: Steady, declining

Geoffrey Short has made a fortune out of timber being transported downriver to Leeha. Geoffrey's watermill powers a whipsaw processing logs for any customers. Unfortunately, the sawmill keeps getting damaged by a group of Water Weirds living in the river. Geoffrey suspects that the strange hermit after whom the local woods are named might somehow be responsible for the sabotage.

Geoffrey Short is a quite tall Halfling in his 90s. He enjoys smoking his pipeweed and watching his halflings work the mill. He has a reputation for being greedy and paying his workers as low wages as he can get away with, spending his revenues on exotic food, drink and tobacco.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:17 am

Havard wrote:Geoffrey Short [...] has a reputation for being greedy and paying his workers as low wages as he can get away with, spending his revenues on exotic food, drink and tobacco.
What, no loose women?!? Any cad who doesn't blow the lot on ladies of negotiable affection isn't worthy of the name! ;)

My Blog is here!

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:28 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:What, no loose women?!? Any cad who doesn't blow the lot on ladies of negotiable affection isn't worthy of the name! ;)
Holy crap! Conan was a Canadian! :D

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote: What, no loose women?!? Any cad who doesn't blow the lot on ladies of negotiable affection isn't worthy of the name! ;)
Hehe, I suppose that can be remedied :)

And yes, I when I was trying to come up with a name for him, I did think about which Canadians I know... :D

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:33 pm

A gent's got to have standards, you know....

Anyhow...back to our regular scheduled programming...more businesses to come!

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:01 pm

The Cracked Mug
Owner/Operator: Tom Broadwater
Staff Size: 3 including 2 serving wenches, 1 cook
Type of Business: Food, Drinks

The Cracked Mug is located on the White Bear River, and is the first tavern travellers see when disembarking. Set into the side of a small hill, The Cracked Mug caters to hin; although any Tallboys who manage to squeeze inside will be served. The tavern consists of a large common room with four semi-private alcoves capable of accommodating up to six hin. The Cracked Mug is known for its own brew – Tom’s Own Stout – a rich, dark beer.

Tom has been running his tavern for more than 20 years, and has a large circle of regulars from all walks of life. He has taken pains to turn his business into a comfy “home away from home”, and it is not unusual for regulars to spend the night there.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:16 pm

The Welcome Home
Owner/Operator: Rob Cobbum
Staff Size: 5 including 1 serving wench, 1 cook, 1 stable hand, 1 ostler, 1 maid; looking to hire
Type of Business: Food, Drinks, Lodging
Economic Activity: Busy, Growing

The Welcome Home is located at the northern edge of Leeha, and is a frequent stop for travellers heading to, or returning from, the north. Rob boasts that his inn is the largest in Leeha that can accommodate the big folk – his common room, with two huge fireplaces, can accommodate up to 15 people, or 25 hin (6 cp/night), and the second floor has six private rooms, each with its own fireplace, capable of holding 12 people or 20 hin (12 gp per room/night). Frugal travellers can sleep in the stable for 3 cp/night. The Welcome Home also offers hot baths for 3 cp, packed lunches at 1 gp per meal, and it sells its own ciders and ales.

Rob travelled as far as Oceansend during his yallara, and saw firsthand how much the hard-bitten mercenaries appreciated any creature comforts they could get. Taking this to heart, he strives to provide an atmosphere where guests feel welcome, and want to return every time they visit Leeha. He has no plans to expand, but is actively considering improving the amenities he offers.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:34 am

Snook Candleworks
Owner/Operator: Josiah Snook
Staff Size: 1 apprentice candlemaker
Type of Business: Goods Manufacturing
Economic Activity: Steady, Declining

Located right next to the main market, Snook Candleworks produces almost any size and colour of candle you might wish to buy. Most candles are made from beeswax, but Josiah occasionally acquires tallow from the local sheep farmers - especially in winter. Business, never that great to begin with, has taken a hit over the past few years from increasing sales of whale oil lamps and lanterns - the latter having been popularised by the growing number of adventurers in town.

White Bear Tannery
Owner/Operator: Herbert Barrick
Staff Size: 10; looking to hire
Type of Business: Leatherworking

The tannery fills a large, grey stone building, surrounded by brine pools, on the west bank of the White Bear River. Although the wind normally carries the odours away from Leeha, the odd cross breeze can make the townsfolk miserable. Here, hundreds of sheep, pig, and goat hides are tanned each week. The largest customers are businesses who craft leather goods, such as Crockett & James and E.D. Greenly, and general outfitters, but demand is increasing in step with trade. A small, but lucrative, side business in custom tanning has sprung up - mainly from adventurers bringing in monster carcasses. Sea hydra leather, known for its water resistance, is an especially hot commodity in the leatherworking world.

Herbert is strongly in favour of Leehan unification, as he believes this will increase the market penetration of his leather.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:45 am

Inwards & Son, Jewellers & Gemcutters
Owners/Operators: Jon and Charles Inwards
Staff Size: 1 apprentice jeweller; looking to hire
Type of Business: Jeweller/Gemcutter

The Inwards family, who emigrated from the Five Shires a century ago, have been involved in the gem and jewellery trade for centuries. Indeed, there is a persistent family tale that a distant ancestor learned the craft from one of Loktal Ironshield's dwarves. Whatever the true origin of their talent, the Inwards family produces among the finest pieces in Leeha, with prices to match. A growing number of Jon's clients are adventurers wishing to convert some of their treasure finds into wearable wealth.

Jon is a quiet hin who takes pride in his work. He had heard, over pints at The Cracked Mug, of the exceptional amber coming out of Littonia - he would give a great deal to acquire some, and may even be willing to help finance an expedition to Littonia.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:57 am

J.P. Fleury, Silversmith
Owner/Operator: Jean-Paul Fleury
Staff Size: 1 apprentice silversmith
Type of Business: Silversmith

During his yallara, Jean-Paul adventured for a time with a dwarf from Stormhaven, from whom he learned the art of silversmithing (the story behind this, alas, has never been told). Since his return to Leeha more than 30 years ago, Jean-Paul honed his skills by studying other craftsmen's work, and is now known as the foremost silversmith for miles around. Fleury silver is prized in Leeha, and known pieces sell for 5-15% more than comparable pieces made by other artisans. In addition to his regular business, this modest hin melts down coins and jewellery into concealable ingots, for a percentage of the assessed value.

Jean-Paul's one great regret in life is that he never returned to the Catbergs in search of the silver lode that a drunken adventurer had told him about in his youth. He had tried during his yallara, but had been chased away by orcs. He might be willing to hire adventurers to help him find it.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:02 pm

The Baited Hook
Owner/Operator: "Red" Maud Musselwhite
Staff: 2 including 1 serving wench and 1 cook
Type: Food, Drink, Gambling

The Baited Hook is the largest tavern in Port Hinly, and is in many ways the centre of the community. Here, fisherhin swap stories and blow off steam over cups of ale and screech between outings on the Great Bay. For those with extra cash, there is always a card game going on, and Maud runs a betting pool for who will bring in the next big catch (minimum bet is 5 cp). The Baited Hook is also the place to sign on to a pirate crew, or to hire one - Maud turns a blind eye, as long as the pirates obey her rules and pay for their drinks.

Maud, a former fishhin and pirate herself, runs the Baited Hook as tightly as she did her ship. She will not hesitate to put misbehaving customers in their place, and as a result she wields as much, or more, authority in Port Hinly than most of the clan elders.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Hey OD,

How close are you to getting the number of businesses you need? Any specific industries required?

Geoff

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:12 pm

Divotfoot Armoury
Owner/Operator: Abner Pilbean
Staff Size: 3 including 2 apprentices, 1 shop-boy; looking to hire
Type of Business: Armourer

Divotfoot Armoury is one of the better known shops of its kind in Fort Divotfoot, and its products have earned a reputation for quality; although those who seek specialty or highly-adorned pieces should look elsewhere. Abner Pilbean and his apprentices make much of the armour used by the local krondar, and have an exclusive contract for repairs.

Abner is well aware of the esteem his products have earned, and looks with disdain on craftshin who specialise in armour that is more decorative than functional. He makes no efforts to advertise his services, as he is confident that worthy customers will seek him out – and they generally do.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Fizzworks Soda
Owner/Operator: Rowena Flowerday
Staff Size: 4 including 2 brewers, 2 bottlers; looking to hire
Type of Business: Drinks

Rowena started Fizzworks Soda ten years ago to sell her home-made sugary concoctions, and the business has since grown into a small factory. Rowena purchases herbs, fruits, and vegetables from local farmers and herbalists to make her drinks, and she boasts that her business produces more flavours than any other in Leehashire. Current best-sellers are root beer, strawberry, blueberry, and green apple. Current flops include rutabaga, carrot and raspberry, and green tomato. Fizzworks soda pop sells for 2 cp per bottle.

Rowena is always thinking about the Next Big Flavour, and sometimes hires people to go far afield in search of exotic ingredients. She is also looking for new ways of packaging and transporting her product – glass bottles are the current mainstay, but she has heard of reclusive dwarves in the south canning their foods for long-term storage.

My Blog is here!

Return to “Realms of Norwold”