Integrating Karawenn into GazF Norwold

The Realms of Norwold Saga explores seven isolated organized nations and towns that are situated along the coast of Norwold or its Great Bay.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, OldDawg

OldDawg
Troll

Integrating Karawenn into GazF Norwold

Post by OldDawg » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:21 am

As part of the ongoing effort to get the Leeha Gazetteer completed, I've been looking at the issue of Karawenn, the setting of a First Quest trilogy of young reader novels (Pawns Prevail, Suitors Duel, Immortal Game) written by Douglas Niles. Although never marketed as such, the implicit background setting is that Karawenn is located in Norwold, with which Niles was strongly associated through his authorship of CM1 Test of the Warlords.

What follows in the posts below is a possible integration of the novels' setting with Norwold as presented in the GazF fan-continuity. Specifically, the area in question is north of Leeha in the vicinity of hills known (non-canonically) as the Jotunheimr Hills.

- OldDawg
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

OldDawg
Troll

Re: Integrating Karawenn into GazF Norwold

Post by OldDawg » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:34 am

Karaween Geography

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:35 am

Karawenn Timeline

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:37 am

You have my attention! :)

Here's an older thread on the Piazza on Karawenn: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1250&hilit=Karawenn&start=25

Here's an older thread on WotC's site: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/ ... #337623814

Here's one of the final maps:
http://blackmoor.mystara.us/img/Norwold_KarawennE2.jpg

Do you have any thoughts on when the novels should be set in the timeline? The first novel begins 16 years after the "Troll Wars". My latest version of the timeline places the Troll Wars back in AC990 and begin the adventures of Jaken Holton in AC1006, making Jaken king of Vanderthan in 1019 (Assuming King Dathwell dies at this point).

The timeline is very flexible, but I figured that the time between the Troll Wars and the novels is the era when Karawenn is at a low point, with the Trilogy restoring Vanderthan to glory.

It could also be interesting to incorporate the Immortals, Dalliphree and Pusanth into the history/setting somehow. In previous threads I have suggested that they could be indentities for Kythria and Marwdyn, but it could also be interesting to make them into new (Initiate) Immortals of their own right.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Realms of Norwold”