Fey of the North Working Thread

The Realms of Norwold Saga explores seven isolated organized nations and towns that are situated along the coast of Norwold or its Great Bay.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, OldDawg

OldDawg
Troll

Fey of the North Working Thread

Post by OldDawg » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:57 pm

This Thread is intended to collect people's contributions to the Fey of the North. This includes both Norwold and the Idrisian Sphere, plus the Shonak lands, Alinor, and Frosthaven (if so conceived).

A few creatures have already been mentioned in both the Gazetteers as well as Havard's Fey articles.

I'll pull together the creatures from the GazF products so far. Havard, could you pull together all of the Fey of the North threads that have been bandied about here and elsewhere?

How should the PCF be structured? Each of the 4 extant accessories were different, although PC3 and PC4 were close to the gazetteer format.

-OldDawg
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

metal
Stone Giant

Re: Fey of the North Working Thread

Post by metal » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:35 am

I personally like the gazetteer format.
I was wondering, if maps would be included, what they look like? Maybe 1 or 2 maps (24mph?) showing areas that each creature covers? Mapping all of Norwold would be a large map, even at 24mph (might need to be more than just 1 or 2). Just an idea.
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:24 pm

Sorry about the late response. I have been out of town for a few days :)
OldDawg wrote:This Thread is intended to collect people's contributions to the Fey of the North. This includes both Norwold and the Idrisian Sphere, plus the Shonak lands, Alinor, and Frosthaven (if so conceived).
Hey, I think its so cool that you picked up on this idea. I think the scope of this project is interesting too. It might even help pull the sense of these regions together.
A few creatures have already been mentioned in both the Gazetteers as well as Havard's Fey articles.

I'll pull together the creatures from the GazF products so far. Havard, could you pull together all of the Fey of the North threads that have been bandied about here and elsewhere?
I'll get to it ASAP. If you want, I could also throw up something about some PC1 Fey minor differences with some of these in the "North".
How should the PCF be structured? Each of the 4 extant accessories were different, although PC3 and PC4 were close to the gazetteer format.
I think the PC3/PC3 structure is good. Sort of like the gazetteers, but more focus on PC options.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:49 pm

Here's the main bulk of the Fey of the North work that I have done so far:

NORTHERN FEY

Huldr:
The name Huldr is sometimes used as a general term for Fey, but also just as often refers to a female creature similar in many ways to Dryads. Like Dryads, they appear as beautiful human women. I would probably suggest a nordic appearance for the Huldr. While appearing to be fragile women, they have supernatural strength. Perceptive adventurers may also notice the cow or fox-like tail of the Huldr, though she always tries to keep it hidden under her long skirt/dress. Like the Dryad the Huldr charms her victims and the Huldr then takes the helpless male with her into the earth. She can pass through mountain rock like a Dryad passes into her tree. While tales of the Huldr women are most commonly seen, males also exist. The Huldr live in great kingdoms beneath under ground, often quite close to human settlements which sometimes leads to problems between the two races.

Illustration of Huldr:
http://www.eventyrlyst.com/jpg/huldra.jpg

Nøkk (Nix)
The Nøkk is a male water spirit living in lakes and streams, probably related to Nixies. He is often depicted as a male human with glowing eyes and hair overgrown with water plants. The Nøkk is known for luring women and children into drowning. His favorite way of doing this is to take the shape of a beautiful stallion and trick victims to attempt to mount him. Once astride the horse, the stallion will set off in a wild raze eventually leaping into the water pulling his victim with him. According to some myths, pouring a bit of alchohol or tobacco into the lake will please the Nøkk and he will teach you some enchantments. The Nøkk is vulnerable to daylight and does not like to leave the water for extended periods.

Fossegrim
The Fossegrim is another water spirit related to the Nøkk. These appear as attractive (but usually bearded) men living in water falls. They are known for their skill with playing the fiddle (or even Norwegian Hardinger, a special fiddle used for the Rohan theme in the LotR movies among other things). They are enemies of the Nøkk who will try to destroy the Fossegrim's musical instrument should they meet. Fossegrims may be befriended by offering them lamb meat. If their trust is betrayed however, the Fossegrim will dance naked in front of you which is a traumatic sight (I propose turning victims to stone or similar effect). Befriended Fossegrims may teach their amazing musical skills to visitors.

Kvernknurr ("Mill Mouths")
Yet another water dwelling Fey, the Kvernknurr live in streams or rivers and cause trouble for millers as they are able to stop a watermill by chewing onto the water wheel with their gigantic mouths. I don't really know what they look like except for having mouths the size of a doorway. I imagine them as goblin-like with pointy ears and small hairy bodies.

Draug (Draugr, pl: draugar)
These aren't really Fey, but material Undead similar to zombies or Ghouls. They usually drowned sailors rising from the dead to pull others into their watery graves. The draugar appear as bloated corpses whose skin has begun to turn blue. Sometimes they swim and try to turn boats around. At other times, they sail ghostly small boats (or even ships) with torn sails. They are said to be a warning of death. Those who see a Draugr will not reach land alive (this is a curse, and a curse should be allowed). Draugr has to stay near the sea, though they often hide on the beach, where they often take the shape of large rocks. They fear clergy and are quite likely susceptible to turning. Older myths distinguish between the Sea Draugr and the Land Draugr. Most of the above refers to the former.

Marmæl
These tiny Fey appear like small Merrow and live on the bottom of the sea. They are mostly friendly and hate the Draugar and are able to repell them. If approached in a friendly manner and if they are offered clothes (they may ask for it), they will repay this generousity by answering questions. They possess great knowledge. However, they are proud and hate stupid questions. If annoyed in such a way, they may use their weather controlling powers to create violent storms. While they live under water, they have no problems breathing above water.

PS: In addition to my own understanding of these things, I consulted the wikipedia and the Norwegian RPG draug which is quite true to Norwegian myths.

In addition to the above,
I am thinking about including some notes on how some of the PC1 Fey appear in the North, such as:
* The Nissefolk
These are basically Northern Brownies.

* Smafolk
This is a common term for Pixies, Sprites and Leprechauns of the North.

* Pookas
Pookas exist in the North as well, but the types of animal shapes they take and their behavior is somewhat different. Assuming Pookas are the best way to model talking animals of the Faerie tales?

Although all of the above are basically the same creatures, some changes in appearance and behaviour might be in order.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:22 pm

I thought there was more you had done up than just that Havard? I remember it being at least twice as long. You are doing the rest right? Please. :|

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:38 pm

Hugin wrote:I thought there was more you had done up than just that Havard? I remember it being at least twice as long. You are doing the rest right? Please. :|
Hmmm...I also thought there was a bit more scattered around somewhere. I'll see what I can find and fill in details where needed :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:22 am

Okay, fey and "woodland" creatures of the F3 Northern Wildlands (no new types):

Darkling Woods: dryad, coltpixy, pixie, sprite, sidhe

Mourning Woods: dryad

Moors of Chlyras: pixie, sprite, wychglow

Forest of Bounty: coltpixy, dryad, treant

Swamp of the Beast: wychglow
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

Return to “Realms of Norwold”