Gaz F10 The Kingdom of Kaarjala

The Realms of Norwold Saga explores seven isolated organized nations and towns that are situated along the coast of Norwold or its Great Bay.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, OldDawg

OldDawg
Troll

Gaz F10 The Kingdom of Kaarjala

Post by OldDawg » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:30 am

From the back of the Book:

The Kingdom of Kaarjala
An Unofficial Game Accessory

The trip from Kaarja to Rovaniemi had been quiet, with no surprises - Julius liked it that way. But on this particular tract the forest grew dense and cast a gloomy pall, which did not sit right with the man.

"It shouldn't get this chilly so quickly," complained his companion, Glorin. A definite chill tainted the air - and it was still summer.

The snap of twigs and branches, followed by the stench of decay, drew the party's attention. Shambling, blackened forms stepped onto the road and surrounded them. Julius, Glorin, and the third member of their party formed a defensive position. They had encountered undead like this many times since coming to Kaarjala, and judging from the numbers, this was going to be a tough fight. Perhaps they should have accepted that strange shaman's offer to accompany them, after all.

This is the tenth entry in a series of unofficial Gazetteer gaming aids for enthusiasts of the world of Mystara. This work covers the Kingdom of Kaarjala, an isolated land within Norwold’s Arctic region whose existence is made possible by a magic windmill that generates gold, grain, and warmth.

“The Kingdom of Kaarjala” provides descriptions of the history, settlements, races, and personalities of a nation that exists very much on the fringes of the civilized world. King Kaarlo and his people shield the southern lands from many of the perils of the far north, but within the nation’s midst lurks an evil so powerful that it threatens to sweep everything aside.

This product also provides rules governing the effects of hypothermia and guidelines for playing two new classes unique to Kaarjala: the kanteleer, a heroic zither-strumming warrior; and the noaid, a mysterious spellcaster who taps into the realm of spirits.

There are three downloads (CORRECTED 2/28/09) at present: the gazetteer (pdf, bookmarked), the expansive map of Kaarjala, and the map of the coastal Itamaa region.

Enjoy!
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

OldDawg
Troll

Re: Gaz F10 The Kingdom of Kaarjala

Post by OldDawg » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:32 am

The thread starter above will eventually be converted over to the comprehensive style seen already for Wendar and Denagoth, but this is the traditional initial announcement style.

-OldDawg

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:36 pm

TRULY beautiful! 8-)

The description of the region largely meets my take on the Autuasmaa area. :)
I especially like the new noaide class.
I'm also glad to see some of the place names we used in the Italian MMB have been put to good use in this GAZ! ;)

Compliments again, very good work.
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:34 pm

I just had my initial skimming run through and as usual it is fantastic. I haven't done my sit down thorough reading yet but I love the flavour of those new classes. Thanks a ton!

multizar
Troll

Post by multizar » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:20 pm

Once again..to all involved with this project...thank you :D I can't wait to get to work on monday and print this out so I can give it the read it deserves! And the maps are awesome! Great work!!!!
I do what I have to do so I can do what I want to do
Check out when you can see the ISS http://www.heavens-above.com

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:17 am

Along the same lines as Hugin.......Given GazF10 a couple of quick read thrus, it looks very good.....I'm going to sit down and give it a closer, more in depth read sometime this week. I really do like the map of the coast that ties Littonia and Kaarjala.
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:27 am

This is really great. I like the way you have incorporated and mixed various nuances of Finnish folklore and habits here. I think it is actually much better done like this, I mean that it is done by none-Finnish people. I think that at least I would have had a big difficulties to select what to include and what to keep.

Anyway, I have some things to say, all relating to native names list of animals and monsters. I bet that most of these are taken directly from dictionary and it shows in two points. Firstly, skeleton. Luuranko is the only correct word from three in the list in this bony meaning. Kehikko and kehys are words describing, for instance, frame of the painting or doorway. Secondly, troll. The word rallattaa is a verb, meaning a certain way to sing. The correct word for monstrous troll is peikko, which you have put in the list as hobgoblin. Since goblin is hiisi, I would change hobgoblin to be a isohiisi, meaning a big hiisi.

Otherwise a great work, I really enjoyed reading this. :D

Harri

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:34 pm

Just printed off the Gaz last night so now I have hard-copy reading material! Yah for me! :D

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:59 pm

I will take the blame for any dictionary snafus. I did the best I could with the sources available :oops:.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:19 am

Don't punish yourself too harshly. Kehikko, kehys and rallattaa were actually quite funny. :lol:
I propably wouldn't have even mentioned them if they have not been in this wordlist.

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:43 am

I'm almost done with the DM's guide (haven't got to the players guide yet), and I'm loving it so far. I hope there will be more coming on the Shonak (since it looks like the map is cropped and mention is made of more locations to the West or North-West.)

One thing though, is there a legend for the colors on the maps in the "History as the Immortals known it" section? I'm guessing Purple is various humanoid lands, the various yellow/orange/beige etc. shades is for human groups, brown is high continental mountain root systems, but is the light blue glaciers or something? And the light green and the grey are :?:

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:43 pm

Don't punish yourself too harshly. Kehikko, kehys and rallattaa were actually quite funny.
Not quite at the level of the legendary "Gazeebo", though :D
One thing though, is there a legend for the colors on the maps in the "History as the Immortals known it" section?
Brown - mountains
grey - hills
pale green - swampy depression
icy blue - glacial masses
Yellow - Lietuvan/Litoniesu related group
pale tan - Antalian related group
bright orange - Shonaks
dark orange - Roags
pinkish - Kaarjalan related group
dark purple - humanoids

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:24 pm

Gecko wrote:I'm almost done with the DM's guide (haven't got to the players guide yet), and I'm loving it so far. I hope there will be more coming on the Shonak (since it looks like the map is cropped and mention is made of more locations to the West or North-West.)
As I recall, the Shonaks will figure more prominently in a later supplement. I don't think they will get their own GAZ F treatment, though (unless someone volunteers to take the lead).

Geoff
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:27 pm

hihama wrote:Don't punish yourself too harshly. Kehikko, kehys and rallattaa were actually quite funny. :lol:
I propably wouldn't have even mentioned them if they have not been in this wordlist.
You raise a good point, though. Are there any other words or concepts that need correcting? If so, would you mind letting us know so we can make sure they are fixed. When I wrote the text I used a handful of online dictionaries, and Wikipedia articles that explained Finnish terms for the materials I was writing (i.e., military ranks, legal institutions, culture, etc.)

Geoff

My Blog is here!

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:39 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote: You raise a good point, though. Are there any other words or concepts that need correcting? If so, would you mind letting us know so we can make sure they are fixed. When I wrote the text I used a handful of online dictionaries, and Wikipedia articles that explained Finnish terms for the materials I was writing (i.e., military ranks, legal institutions, culture, etc.)

Geoff
Nothing that I remember being totally wrong as in those two cases. But I can check it again and see if I spot something else.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:39 am

I have now gone through the Gaz again and as I was remembering the finnish terms are mostly quite ok.

Couple of things, however. In page 7 of the Player's Handbook there is a spell called Create Laavo. Correct Finnish word is laavu, but that is really a minor point, as a word laavo is as good.

Other points concern, again, the list of native names in page 26. Firstly I think that there are three important words missing here, kääpiö (dwarf), puolituinen (halfling, hin) and haltia (elf). There is haltija in the list translated as fairy, gnome, or spirit. I would change that to haltia without j and replace gnome with elf. Actually I don't think that we need a name for gnome in the list, since they are non-existent in the area so far as I understand it.

Then you have Keisari: griffon (archaic). I have never before seen those word connects. Keisari is emperor as you have used it elsewhere. For griffon I would use aarnikotka.

For lupin you have lupinkoiranlainen. This seems strange combination to me. I would use koiralainen, meaning something like a dog for lupin.

And do we really need a Finnish word for lion in this list. I would bet that people in Autuusmaa have never seen a lion. So I would use the same argument as with gnome that they don't really need a word for that.

Ok, that is it.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:22 pm

Cool - thanks for your help! :D

My Blog is here!

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:11 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:Cool - thanks for your help! :D
No problems, it's good to be useful somewhere. 8-)

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:07 am

hihama wrote:Other points concern, again, the list of native names in page 26. Firstly I think that there are three important words missing here, kääpiö (dwarf), puolituinen (halfling, hin) and haltia (elf). There is haltija in the list translated as fairy, gnome, or spirit. I would change that to haltia without j and replace gnome with elf.
Then you have Keisari: griffon (archaic). I have never before seen those word connects. Keisari is emperor as you have used it elsewhere. For griffon I would use aarnikotka.

For lupin you have lupinkoiranlainen. This seems strange combination to me. I would use koiralainen, meaning something like a dog for lupin.

And do we really need a Finnish word for lion in this list.
I would like to issue an affirmative defense on these charges ;)

1) Haltia and haltija were noted as variations of the same word - I preferred having the yod. I would concur that the word also applies to elves. It applies to gnomes only in so much as if a gnome were to appear, this is the term a *Kaarjalan* would default to. The words you have selected for dwarf and halfling are fine. [BTW, I know that "poul" means roughly "half" what does the second half translate to?]

2) Keisari is indeed the archaic *Kaarjalan* word for a white griffon. Obviously in the RW Keisari is one of many derivatives of "Ceasar", but I wanted to ground the term a bit. Keisa is a diminuitive of Katherine (i.e. "cat") and "ari" is an Old Norse term for eagle. So the reverse engineering of the name isn't really Finnish, but it worked. "aarnikotka" is a perfectly fine modern Kaarjalan word (although doesn't that literally translate into eagle-eagle? aarni ~ orn=ari + kotka=kokko?)

3) lupinkoiranlainen is a play on the Finnish name for the Lapphund "lapinkoira" on which the this "breed" of lupin was based. It stands official for Kaarjala.

4) many cultures have carry over vocabulary for items they never see in their modern environments; so the Kaarjalans have a word for lion even if no one has seen such a creature in centuries.

-OldDawg

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:56 am

OldDawg wrote: I would like to issue an affirmative defense on these charges ;)

1) Haltia and haltija were noted as variations of the same word - I preferred having the yod. I would concur that the word also applies to elves. It applies to gnomes only in so much as if a gnome were to appear, this is the term a *Kaarjalan* would default to. The words you have selected for dwarf and halfling are fine. [BTW, I know that "poul" means roughly "half" what does the second half translate to?]

2) Keisari is indeed the archaic *Kaarjalan* word for a white griffon. Obviously in the RW Keisari is one of many derivatives of "Ceasar", but I wanted to ground the term a bit. Keisa is a diminuitive of Katherine (i.e. "cat") and "ari" is an Old Norse term for eagle. So the reverse engineering of the name isn't really Finnish, but it worked. "aarnikotka" is a perfectly fine modern Kaarjalan word (although doesn't that literally translate into eagle-eagle? aarni ~ orn=ari + kotka=kokko?)

-OldDawg
Puolituinen as meaning halfling comes from the translation of the Lord of the Rings. So its a word constructed same way as a halfling, the ending doesn't mean anything as such. Translator just invented the word.

Actually aarni is an old Finnish word meaning either treasure or very big three, people or giant. I'm not sure what is the original meaning in this connection, but it might be the latter.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:10 pm

hihama wrote: Actually aarni is an old Finnish word meaning either treasure or very big three, people or giant. I'm not sure what is the original meaning in this connection, but it might be the latter.
I checked my sources and aarni in aarnikotka comes from the treasure. So aarnikotka is a monster guarding the treasure, like aarnihauta is place where treasure is buried and aarnivalkea is fire burning over the place where treasure is.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:00 pm

For what it's worth, the region of Itamaa is supposed to be modelled on the Aland Islands - hence the use of the name Vasteranga (a real town), and the mixed M-Norse/M-Finnish character of the place. Just in case anyone wondered, sort of thing.... ;)

My Blog is here!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:26 pm

I just watched this Norwegian movie called the Kautokeino Rebellion. It has some great inspiration for Saamari characters. Watch the trailer for it here :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:59 pm

I've been off the forums since just after the Wendar Gaz was released.

I'm amazed you're now up to Gaz F10!

I just had a quick glance at this one and I am VERY impressed at the Gazetteer feel to it.

If only the original Gazetteers could have been released in pdf's of this quality.

I'll go and check out the actual content now, but I just wanted to say well done and thank you for such a professional "feel" to the Gaz.

thondar
Goblin

Post by thondar » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:19 pm

OldDawg wrote:There are three downloads at present: the gazetteer (pdf, bookmarked), the expansive map of Kaarjala, and the map of the coastal Itamaa region.
link broken

Return to “Realms of Norwold”