Masterwork armor

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Masterwork armor

Postby XstarkillerX » Thu May 01, 2014 11:52 am

PHB says that masterwork armor never appear expect as a magic object. Reading the descriptions of the masterwork armors, all of them require some sort of magic in the crafting, so I get the point to make them appear only as magic objects.
The problem arise when considering armors made of mythical beasts hides or scales (the Dark Sun campaign setting has a few example of those): it doesn't seem to me that magic would be necessary to craft those types of armor, so I'm thinking that it may be possible to include those armors in a non magical fashion.
What's your thought on the matter?
XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Re: Masterwork armor

Postby Ashtagon » Thu May 01, 2014 1:33 pm

PHB says all magic armour is masterwork. PHB does not say that all masterwork armour is magical. That said, the price is such that it will almost never be had by any character under any circumstances, short of a GM giving it as loot. It is simply to expensive for what it actually does.

You can certainly magical non-magical leather armour (or "hide armour") out of such animal skins. You could even make masterwork versions of such armour. It it was made as a masterwork armour, you could then go on to enchant it.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby BotWizo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:57 pm

To say what Ash said differently; which i hope is helpful.

There is non magical masterwork armor, it gives non magical bonuses. (It has been a few months since playing 4e so forgive me if I am slightly incorrect)
I don't remember reading that you needed magic to create the masterwork armor.

Now on to my thoughts on non magical hide armors;
I think it could be done to have say a non magical dragon scale armor, but what a waste of resources for a pc.
An armorer or supplier would still have to kill a dragon to get it, then have the resulting armor be worth less than +1 magical would be annoying.
The masterwork non magical bonuses are not figured in to attack that ignore normal defenses and you may need magical defenses against some attacks.
If i had the hide I would not make it non magical, I would quest for whatever it took for the magical version.

final thoughts;
It is your campaign so do what you think is best, if it makes sense in your world and it is fun, do it. :)
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby Bouv » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Ah dragon armor...the DM's best friend. "Hey Gold Dragon, we need help!"

"Is that armor from a dead dragon you're wearing? Yeah, I'm not helping you." :evil:
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:05 am

Bouv wrote:Ah dragon armor...the DM's best friend. "Hey Gold Dragon, we need help!"

"Is that armor from a dead dragon you're wearing? Yeah, I'm not helping you." :evil:

Dragons shed scales, if I recall correctly. Is it possible for people to assemble dragonscale armour from discarded scales in 4th Edition?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to D&D 4th Edition