Foulspawn

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Foulspawn

Postby Havard » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:01 pm

Since it was revelaed in this Piazza thread that Foulspawn (MM4E, p 112) are reskinned versions of 1st Ed's Qullan, I have gotten more interested in them.

Are there other mentions of the Foulspawn (the 4E version) outside of the 4E monster manual?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Foulspawn

Postby ripvanwormer » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:17 am

Here's a PDF from Wizards.com that has some pretty good information on them.

They're very similar in their basic premise to the pseudonatural template from 3rd edition's Tome and Blood and Epic Level Handbook, or the creations of the daelkyr in the Eberron setting. The foulspawn mangler seems somewhat similar to Eberron's dolgrims (which are four-armed creatures made by warping two goblins together).
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Havard wrote:Since it was revelaed in this Piazza thread that Foulspawn (MM4E, p 112) are reskinned versions of 1st Ed's Qullan, I have gotten more interested in them.

I had a look at that topic, but didn't see much about the Qullan there:
NPCDave wrote:I was going through my bookshelf when I pulled out a Living Greyhawk Journal #4 from my Blackmoor section. I knew it had to have some Greyhawk Blackmoor reference within it and I found it on page 26. The Qullan is described there as inhuman shock troopwes used by the Egg of Coot, and is a 3rd Edition update of the qullan found in the original 1E Fiend Folio. A bit of searching revealed that there is a 4E Qullan called the foulspawn berserker which I surmise was in the 4E monster manual?

I see that the WotC PDF on the Foulspawn links them in with the Far Realm.

Did the 1e Fiend Folio (and Living Greyhawk Journal Issue 4) also link the Qullan to the Far Realm?

Are there other pre-4e monsters that would be considered Foulspawn creatures? Has anyone converted any of them to 4e?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:58 pm

Big Mac wrote:Did the 1e Fiend Folio (and Living Greyhawk Journal Issue 4) also link the Qullan to the Far Realm?

No. The Far Realm was created in 1996 in The Gates of Firestorm Peak. LGJ #4 had the qullan as servants of the Egg of Coot.

Are there other pre-4e monsters that would be considered Foulspawn creatures?

They're very similar in their basic premise to the pseudonatural template from 3rd edition's Tome and Blood and Epic Level Handbook, or the creations of the daelkyr in the Eberron setting.

The kaorti and their servants from 3rd edition's Fiend Folio also have a similar origin. I can't find any 4th edition kaorti stats, but in 4th edition, kaorti should probably just transform their victims into foulspawn.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Return to D&D 4th Edition