What 4e books can be parted with?

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Dragonhelm
Aurak

What 4e books can be parted with?

Post by Dragonhelm » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:36 pm

I am considering getting rid of some of my 4e books to make a little room on the old bookshelf, but I'm trying to decide which ones I should part with. I'm not likely to play 4e again, but would like to keep a few on hand.

I am most definitely keeping the following:
1. Core Books (PHBs, DMGs, Monster Manuals)
2. The class Power books - i.e. Arcane Power, Divine Power, etc.
3. Setting Books - Dark Sun, Gamma World, Eberron, Forgotten Realms, etc.

Beyond those, what books could be parted with?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: What 4e books can be parted with?

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:56 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:3. Setting Books - Dark Sun, Gamma World, Eberron, Forgotten Realms, etc.

Beyond those, what books could be parted with?
I think you should keep anything that features information about Nentir Vale and Nerath. Especially stuff that might help with a 4th Edition Nerathspace adaptation.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:30 am

I actually suggesting parting with the Player's Handbooks if you have the Essentials; Heroes of the Fallen Lands & Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:40 pm

They put just enough of new classes etc. in every book so it would be hard to trim them down.
It all depends on your style.
Since I like options, I would keep all books with new races and classes for 4e, which ends up being quite a few.

I was one that didn't really like essentials so if I had to trim my 4e collection i would trim essentials. (luckily I dont yet)
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:30 pm

What about the Open Grave and Underdark books? Anything worthwhile in there?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

lostanddamned
Orc

Post by lostanddamned » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Whatever you do, make sure you keep Monster Vault: Threat to the Nentir Vale, one of the best monster manual's ever produced IMHO
Damned until Death.

My not so frequent blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:31 am

lostanddamned wrote:Whatever you do, make sure you keep Monster Vault: Threat to the Nentir Vale, one of the best monster manual's ever produced IMHO
I absolutely love that book. The Tigerclaw Barbarians fit in really nicely with the background of an old character of mine. Tons of goodness in there.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

JimmytheQuick
Goblin

Post by JimmytheQuick » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:42 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
lostanddamned wrote:Whatever you do, make sure you keep Monster Vault: Threat to the Nentir Vale, one of the best monster manual's ever produced IMHO
I absolutely love that book. The Tigerclaw Barbarians fit in really nicely with the background of an old character of mine. Tons of goodness in there.
Best supplement ever produced in my opinion.

What about ditching books for regions you just don't game in - Manual of the Planes, Shadowfell etc

Or maybe some of the Monster Manuals? I don't know how useful Vol 2 and 3 are.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:38 pm

This is one of the 4E products I have been wanting to get my hands on for some time now.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:40 pm

JimmytheQuick wrote:Or maybe some of the Monster Manuals? I don't know how useful Vol 2 and 3 are.
I think monsters are always useful, and considering how unique 4E is, keeping those bestiaries around is potentially a good idea. It soesn't take too much effort to splice monsters from existing ones or to make minor changes, like re-skinning.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:39 pm

You can keep the Essentials Books (Heroes of the Fallen Lands, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, and the Rules Compendium), or the three PHBs, but I guess I prefer more the Essentials line in the long rung, just because it had been errataed, and as 4e had thousands of errata in its lifetime as an edition, the latest material will have precedence.

Both set of books are fully compatible in theory, but the Essentials are more easy to play (something that's good for new players). The Essentials books also have the playable races of the first PHB updated with the rules of the PHB 3, so that might make those books useful in you like the flexibility the PHB 3 brought to the playable races. Most people I know used the Essentials rules for races, and the PHB rules for classes.

Whatever your choice, keep the Rules Compendium (if you have it), just because what I said: errataed and useful, whether you use the Essentials books or not.

As for the monster books, I guess you should keep the Monster Manual 3 and the Monster Vaults, because those have the updated rules for the monsters stats. The other MM books somehow got "downgraded" because the change in the rules they applied in the MM 3, and many of the basic monsters of the firsts MM got covered in the first Monster Vault.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:56 am

If you are not likely to play anymore, than the rules-related stuff can mostly likely go, and that includes the PHBs. The DMGs have possibly reusable stuff. I suppose it depends on what you plan to do with the stuff you keep; a lot of 4e stuff can be re-used with 13th Age relatively easily. I'd definitely ditch the Class Power books; they are mostly just drab lists of powers with very few, if anything, interesting bits which can be ported to other games.

I am also quite partial to the following:
- The two Draconomicons
- Demonomicon
- Underdark
- Open Grave
- Manual of the Planes
- the two Dark Sun books
- Neverwinter Campaign Setting
- Heroes of the Feywild (contrary to the other PHB-style books, it has tons of cool setting elements)

Underdark, Manual of the Planes, Open Grave and Demonomicon I have used aplenty with 13th Age.
The nicest thing about 4e, is the internal consistency of sourcebooks.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:33 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:What about the Open Grave and Underdark books? Anything worthwhile in there?
I don't know about Open Grave, but I recently (as in this year) bought Underdark, both as something that would teach me about Nentir Vale's Underdark and also as something that I could use as a generic Underdark book (to help me build bespoke Underdark areas for other worlds).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 am

Lately, I've been writing some house rules for my 13th Age game. Every once in a while, I'll look up the way a rule was implemented in 4e, to see if it would work well for my home group (e.g., a Prone condition). I've found my Rules Compendium handy as a quick reference guide to 4e.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:10 am

I'm finally parting with some 4e books and this has been a useful thread to help me out.

I started a thread on the D&D 5e Facebook group about what 4e books were useful for 5e, and true to form, it got closed because some folks couldn't resist 4e-bashing. :(

Thing is, every edition has something good to it, and I still have some fond memories from the 4e era.
Last edited by Dragonhelm on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:41 am

Dragonhelm wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:10 am
I'm finally parting with some 4e books and this has been a useful thread to help me out.

I started a thread on the D&D 5e boards about what 4e books were useful for 5e, and true to form, it got closed because some folks couldn't resist 4e-bashing. :(

Thing is, every edition has something good to it, and I still have some fond memories from the 4e era.
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure why it's considered perfectly acceptable in many groups to bash on 4e. It truly feels like the red-headed stepchild of D&D. I'm glad we don't have that kind of edition warring on The Piazza.

I would hold on to the books that examine aspects of the Nentir Vale setting. You can probably do without the rules-heavy books, if you aren't planning on returning to 4e, but there are several books in the edition that focus on the planes, Underdark, etc.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:08 am

Clarifying that it was the Facebook 5e group I had issues with.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:18 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:41 am
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure why it's considered perfectly acceptable in many groups to bash on 4e. It truly feels like the red-headed stepchild of D&D. I'm glad we don't have that kind of edition warring on The Piazza.
Agreed! The bad experience has me more energized about posting on the Piazza again.
I would hold on to the books that examine aspects of the Nentir Vale setting. You can probably do without the rules-heavy books, if you aren't planning on returning to 4e, but there are several books in the edition that focus on the planes, Underdark, etc.
I didn't see the need to keep the Underdark book since I have so many other books on the subject. The Menzoberranzan boxed set and Drow of the Underdark from 2e serve as my go-to books for that. I also ditched Open Grave.

I'm on the fence about the Draconomicon books. I loved the 2e and 3e versions, but not so much the 4e ones. Still, they have new draconian types.

I'm also uncertain about the planes books, as well as the Monster Manuals (2 and 3 specifically).
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:48 am

Dragonhelm wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:18 am
I didn't see the need to keep the Underdark book since I have so many other books on the subject. The Menzoberranzan boxed set and Drow of the Underdark from 2e serve as my go-to books for that. I also ditched Open Grave.

I'm on the fence about the Draconomicon books. I loved the 2e and 3e versions, but not so much the 4e ones. Still, they have new draconian types.

I'm also uncertain about the planes books, as well as the Monster Manuals (2 and 3 specifically).
That doesn't leave many setting-focused books. Monster Vault 2: Threats to the Nentir Vale is perhaps the best book for Nentir Vale content. The Madness at Gardmore Abbey adventure is a good one. Out of the planes books, the Shadowfell and Feywild books provide content that's different from previous editions.

Return to “D&D 4th Edition”