Monsters Index

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Monsters Index

Post by enderxenocide0 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:16 pm

Is there any website, database, or document that lists all the published 4E monsters with book / page numbers to reference? Bonus points if it lets me sort by monster type. I'm not looking for something that duplicates the entry, just a comprehensive index.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Monsters Index

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:43 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:Is there any website, database, or document that lists all the published 4E monsters with book / page numbers to reference? Bonus points if it lets me sort by monster type. I'm not looking for something that duplicates the entry, just a comprehensive index.
The DDI D&D Compendium provides the book, but not the page number. It let's you sort by monster type. http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compe ... abase.aspx
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:03 am

Tim Baker wrote:
enderxenocide0 wrote:Is there any website, database, or document that lists all the published 4E monsters with book / page numbers to reference? Bonus points if it lets me sort by monster type. I'm not looking for something that duplicates the entry, just a comprehensive index.
The DDI D&D Compendium provides the book, but not the page number. It let's you sort by monster type. http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compe ... abase.aspx
That's pretty cool. Sadly, I don't seem to be able to get it to show me all the monsters.

I wonder if there is some way for me to use that webpage to work out all the new monsters that need retro-converting to 3rd Edition (especially the Spelljammer ones).

Maybe Echohawk's Complete D&D Monster Index would be more useful for me...and Enderxenocide0. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:17 am

I guess I can help with this. Gimme a few days and I'll create an excel document with every 4e monster listed by source.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:56 am

Big Mac wrote:That's pretty cool. Sadly, I don't seem to be able to get it to show me all the monsters.

I wonder if there is some way for me to use that webpage to work out all the new monsters that need retro-converting to 3rd Edition (especially the Spelljammer ones).
Select "Creatures" from the "Search" drop down box, and leave the text box blank. Then click the green "Search" button. There are so many monsters that if you don't give the tool any parameters, it just seems to spin and spin. But if you give it a good 15-30 seconds, it does eventually return with the list of all 5,326 monsters. Once you have that, you can filter results, including roles or keywords (e.g., "elemental" or "aberrant"). I hope that helps.

I'm not sure how you'd use it to find monsters that would be eligible for conversion to 3.5. Since there wasn't a 4e Spelljammer book, you can't filter the list by "Source." I'm not sure what would be considered a 4e Spelljammer monster.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:59 am

Zeromaru X wrote:I guess I can help with this. Gimme a few days and I'll create an excel document with every 4e monster listed by source.
Sounds like an awesome tool!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:00 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:That's pretty cool. Sadly, I don't seem to be able to get it to show me all the monsters.

Select "Creatures" from the "Search" drop down box, and leave the text box blank. Then click the green "Search" button. There are so many monsters that if you don't give the tool any parameters, it just seems to spin and spin. But if you give it a good 15-30 seconds, it does eventually return with the list of all 5,326 monsters. Once you have that, you can filter results, including roles or keywords (e.g., "elemental" or "aberrant"). I hope that helps.
Thanks. That worked.
Tim Baker wrote:I'm not sure how you'd use it to find monsters that would be eligible for conversion to 3.5. Since there wasn't a 4e Spelljammer book, you can't filter the list by "Source." I'm not sure what would be considered a 4e Spelljammer monster.
I'm after monsters that are missing from 3rd Edition (because they were not invented yet) that are connected to the monsters that have a tie-in to the Spelljammer campaign setting.

I already did a search for beholder and illithid and found that they seem to have new variants of both monster.

And I just checked and found five types of neogi.

What I would want to do is see if the monsters already exist in 3e form. If they do, I would ignore the 4e versions. And if they don't, I would want to learn more about how the 4e variants work, so that I could try to make a 3e variant in a similar style to the original 4e monster. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:48 am

Big Mac wrote:I'm after monsters that are missing from 3rd Edition (because they were not invented yet) that are connected to the monsters that have a tie-in to the Spelljammer campaign setting.

I already did a search for beholder and illithid and found that they seem to have new variants of both monster.

What I would want to do is see if the monsters already exist in 3e form. If they do, I would ignore the 4e versions. And if they don't, I would want to learn more about how the 4e variants work, so that I could try to make a 3e variant in a similar style to the original 4e monster. :)
Ah, that makes sense. It sounds like you're well on your way finding some good candidates. 4e and 3e are sufficiently different that you may want to capture the powers that make each 4e monster iconic, and then rebuild them in 3e using that as your theme. I don't think you'll be able to perform a mechanical, one-for-one translation between the systems. I came across this discussion, which may help: http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... ack-to-3-5

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm after monsters that are missing from 3rd Edition (because they were not invented yet) that are connected to the monsters that have a tie-in to the Spelljammer campaign setting.

Ah, that makes sense. It sounds like you're well on your way finding some good candidates. 4e and 3e are sufficiently different that you may want to capture the powers that make each 4e monster iconic, and then rebuild them in 3e using that as your theme. I don't think you'll be able to perform a mechanical, one-for-one translation between the systems. I came across this discussion, which may help: http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... ack-to-3-5
Thanks Tim.

That was very useful. And it also linked to Guide To Homebrewing, which also looks very useful.

Return to “D&D 4th Edition”