Player's Option 4e vs Player's Option 2e

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Player's Option 4e vs Player's Option 2e

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:05 am

I never had the original Player's Option products, back in the day, as I quit playing D&D before they were published and came back after they were out of print. But AuldDragon mentioned them the other day and I just noticed that 4th Edition also has Player's Option products.

The 4th Edition Player's Option products don't have the same names as th 2nd Edition Player's Option products.

Here are the 4th Edtion products: And here are the 2nd Edition products: On the face of it, the "Heroes of..." thing seems to suggest the themes of the new books are different from the original Player's Option books, but do they have anything in common? Is anything in the new books based on anything in the old books? Do the 4e books introduce new rules that are as radical as the 2e Player's Option books?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Player's Option 4e vs Player's Option 2e

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:19 am

Never read the 2e books, but the "Heroes of..." series is totally compatible with both, vanilla 4e and Essentials, so I don't think so.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Player's Option 4e vs Player's Option 2e

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:30 am

Big Mac wrote:On the face of it, the "Heroes of..." thing seems to suggest the themes of the new books are different from the original Player's Option books, but do they have anything in common? Is anything in the new books based on anything in the old books? Do the 4e books introduce new rules that are as radical as the 2e Player's Option books?
Good catch. I'd never noticed that these books shared a common name. As you guessed, that's about all they have in common. The 2e books introduce new subsystems and are considered by some to be D&D 2.5. The 4e books are primarily targeted at giving players more options when creating characters with a background tied to the Shadowfell, inner planes, or Feywild. They introduce new races, backgrounds, feats, etc. As Zeromaru X mentioned, they're fully compatible with other 4e products, and don't try to establish any new rules or subsystems.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Return to “D&D 4th Edition”