4E Cards

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

4E Cards

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Different types of cards were published for D&D 4E. One type was called Action Cards, another were the Fortune Cards. There might be others as well?

Fortune Cards
Fortune Cards were an optional collectible card supplement to 4th edition D&D.
These cards were sold in booster packs of 8 cards each - 5 common, 2 uncommon, and 1 rare. There were five sets of Fortune Cards that you could buy in randomized packs:
  • Shadow of Nentir Vale
  • Glory of Neverwinter
  • Fury of the Feywild
  • Spiral of Tharizdun
  • Drow Treachery

There were rules for how to combine different boosters and sets and how you could use customized decks in your games.

I found a list containing most of these cards here: here.

Power Cards
I assume these represented the powers of each class? How many were published?

Other Cards
  • Deck of Many Things (Included in Madness at Gardmore Abbey boxed Set)
Were there other cards as well?

Did you/do you use cards in your campaigns? Do you find them useful?

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: 4E Cards

Postby Tim Baker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:41 am

Havard wrote:Fortune Cards
There were rules for how to combine different boosters and sets and how you could use customized decks in your games.

I never used these in my games (there were plenty of mechanics to keep track of already). But essentially, they were an optional element in the game, allowing players to have another tactical option during combat.

Havard wrote:Power Cards
I assume these represented the powers of each class? How many were published?

Yes, each spell, special ability, and attack in 4e is called a "power." The Power Cards were intended as an easy way for players to keep track of what abilities their characters had and which ones had already been used up that gaming day or that encounter. They were published for the classes in the Player's Handbook and Player's Handbook 2 and for the additional powers found in Martial Power and Arcane Power. While useful, you ended up buying a lot of cards that you didn't use, since your character would only have a percentage of the total powers available for the class, thanks to taking a single build path and leaving the other options on the table. This got worse when the Martial and Arcane Power sets came along. If your character selected a single attack or spell from one of those books, you'd need to buy the deck for your class from that book.

The solution ended up being the Dungeons & Dragons Insider online character builder, which produced printable sheets of power cards, customized to the spells, abilities, and attacks of each character. For the price of the subscription, you could customize 'till your heart was content, and long after more and more sourcebooks became available.

Havard wrote:Other Cards
Were there other cards as well?

The online character builder printed cards for magic items, too. I don't recall them ever being sold as physical products, though.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Havard » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:50 pm

Good input Tim!

I didn't know about the Insider electronic only cards. I think the Power Cards would have been useful, but then there are so many other things to spend money on.

There was also the Deck of Many Things that appeared in Madness at Gardmore Abbey. I will add that to the list.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Zeromaru X » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:56 am

Never bought the cards, as those weren't sold in my country. I used the ones from the DDI to my heart's content. As Tim said, the cards helped to manage powers and other resources. Though, as we always used the DDI printed ones, I have no complaints about them.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Big Mac » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:24 am

Havard wrote:Different types of cards were published for D&D 4E. One type was called Action Cards, another were the Fortune Cards. There might be others as well?

Fortune Cards
Fortune Cards were an optional collectible card supplement to 4th edition D&D.
These cards were sold in booster packs of 8 cards each - 5 common, 2 uncommon, and 1 rare. There were five sets of Fortune Cards that you could buy in randomized packs:
  • Shadow of Nentir Vale
  • Glory of Neverwinter
  • Fury of the Feywild
  • Spiral of Tharizdun
  • Drow Treachery

I think that's "Shadow over Nentir Vale" (rather than "of") and "Neverwinter" (without the "Glory").
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby RichGreen » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:45 am

Hi,

I bought a few packs of Fortune Cards and we used them for a while. They were quite fun but I found they slowed down combat in an already complex edition. We gave up on them after a few sessions.

Tim is absolutely spot on about the power cards. In 5e where there are less spells to choose from, we’ve found the Gale Force 9 spell cards pretty handy though.

Cheers

Rich
RichGreen
Bugbear

Return to D&D 4th Edition