The Must-Have Books of 4e

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Dragonhelm
Aurak

The Must-Have Books of 4e

Post by Dragonhelm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:19 pm

I am considering purging out my 4th edition books, but I want to keep a few that are "must-haves." I might replace some with PDFs.

I think the PHBs and DMGs (at least the first one) are must-have. Madness at Gardmore Abbey and the Shadowfell materials are too. Plus setting-specific stuff, like Dark Sun and the Neverwinter books. And the monster book for Nentir Vale is one of the best monster books I've seen.

I don't plan on playing 4e ever again, but I think there are some good ideas that I can keep around for 5e.

So, thoughts?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: The Must-Have Books of 4e

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:35 pm

I guess it depends of what are your priorities.

If you need it for playing/rules, then the PHB and the DMG (at least the first ones) are a must. If you have it, the PHB 2 and DMG 2 are great, because it includes stuff that will enhance your gaming experience. You can get rid of the PHB 3 and you don't lost much (as the psionic classes have many problems with rules and balance, that its necessary for 4e). If you have it, the Rules Compendium its a must.

The monster manuals, you can ignore the first two ones and go ahead for the MM3. The Monster Vault is a must thought. That its because of the change in the math for monster stats, that make the first MMs outdated. If you don't have the Monster Vault, then you must have to preserve the first MM.

If you want just lore, then the stuff changes.

The DMGs are a must, but the PHBs aren't. If you have them, the Heroes of the Fallen Lands and the Forgotten Kingdoms are better than the PHBs because of fluff they include. The Monster Vault and the MMs 2 and 3 are a must as well (the first MM isn't).

The Secrets of the Astral Sea book, the Divine and Primal Power books, the two Draconomicons, Open Grave, Heroes of the Feywild, Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, and the Demonomicon are excellent books if you're interested in lore about the 4e core world, and I pretty much will add them to you "and the Shadowfell materials" line (I will leave out the Heroes of Shadow, tho. That book is plain bad).

If you want lore about dragonborn and tieflings, the PHB Races books about them are your friends.

For campaign settings stuff: Threats to Nentir Vale, the two Dark Sun books and the Nevewinter campaign setting are the best ones. Hammerfast and Vor Rukoth are good sources for lore about the 4e world as well. Combine those with Threats to Nentir Vale and the PHB Races books, and you basically have a campaign setting of Nerath.

For adventures, Madness of Gardmore Abbey is a must, and if you have it, Reavers of Harkeworld.

You can pretty much ignore the rest.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:I am considering purging out my 4th edition books, but I want to keep a few that are "must-haves." I might replace some with PDFs.
I would advise you not to do this. Or at the very least, stick the books up in the loft for a year, and do lots of research before letting any of the books go.
Dragonhelm wrote:I think the PHBs and DMGs (at least the first one) are must-have. Madness at Gardmore Abbey and the Shadowfell materials are too. Plus setting-specific stuff, like Dark Sun and the Neverwinter books. And the monster book for Nentir Vale is one of the best monster books I've seen.

I don't plan on playing 4e ever again, but I think there are some good ideas that I can keep around for 5e.
One of the problems you are going to face is that there is a lot of the Nentir Vale canon hidden in generic-looking 4th Edition books.

I've been trying to track down all the books with Nentir Vale content, to add them to the Nentir Vale category at The Book-House on The Piazza, but I'm not sure I've found all the books that might be connected to Nentir Vale yet. (I might even have to resort to starting some "How much Nentir Vale is in <book X>?" topics, at some point.)

But, what I do know is that there are some adventure paths that are part of Nentir Vale. I won't be using 4e, but I might want to retro-convert those adventures to 3e at some point. And you might want to convert them to 5e at some point.

If you spend some time working that out for yourself and still decide to pass on some of your collection to new homes, but it would be best not to go dumping books that you end up wanting to buy back later.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:I've been trying to track down all the books with Nentir Vale content, to add them to the Nentir Vale category at The Book-House on The Piazza, but I'm not sure I've found all the books that might be connected to Nentir Vale yet. (I might even have to resort to starting some "How much Nentir Vale is in <book X>?" topics, at some point.)
If you need help with this, just ask. :cool:

EDIT: Oh, this is my 777 post. :P

Return to “D&D 4th Edition”