BotWizo's 4th Ed Campaign

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

BotWizo
Wizard

BotWizo's 4th Ed Campaign

Post by BotWizo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:31 pm

I thought I would post some of the stuff I am doing with 4E so I can get some advice and insight from the experts here. Since this will be my campaign thread I will break up the text in several posts, I think it reads better, and I can write small parts and post them rather than one long post. (plus I learned while working at large corporations most people only read the first 3 sentences of an email, most of you here seem to read every thing, but I thought this would be easier on you.)

Background;
With the start of 4E I found myself looking to get back into D&D and it was the perfect time. I had previously played and DMed BECMI and 1 AD&D. I started D&D ~1982 in sixth grade, DMed and played all the way up unitl 1990, went to college, got in another group and played until 1994. Then I drifted away from D&D until 4 Ed. By drifted I mean no opportunity to play, but still yearned for my favorite hobby.

With the release of 4E I quit one of the two adult hockey leagues I was playing in and I thought I had a spot as a player in a 4E group, but when times didn’t line up I was SOL. I waited around and thought I had a spot in another group as a player and same ol story.

Besides the campaign I will describe below, I am still trying to assemble another group to play in, but I won’t hold my breath (i.e. I am back to playing adult hockey 2x a week)

The reason I list my other hobby, is because besides my job, and my marriage, I have 3 kids (ages 3,5,7) so I only get so much free time each week where I feel I don’t short the family on quality time with Dad.

In the following posts I will give you my solution to my current D&D problem.
Last edited by BotWizo on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

BotWizo
Wizard

Re: BotWizo's 4th Ed Campaign

Post by BotWizo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:31 pm

As you read above, I now have a desire to play, all of the 4E books and no group to play or DM so…
I decided to play a game with by daughter (5) and two sons (3 and 7). My kids love to get Dad’s dice out and play with them, so one day while out and around my wife bought each of the kids there own set of dice (Chessex set of 7 dice).

At first we just started playing around to see who could roll the highest, and we were making up funny little games, when I figured why not try and run a few Delves as they are now called in D&D.

First few Delves;
These were sort of your classic one-shot adventures/encounters or so and done. We started these a while back because I had bought some of the Wizards Handbook heroes minis for the power cards that were inside.

I have run 5 or so of the delves with the Wizo’s figs, (*warning this is not your standard 4E)
Couple of things to remember; this is for kids, it must be fast, not too creepy or scary, it must keep interest, and must be fun, and must be fast paced.
The plot of the Delves are usually get the magic sword/wand, or save the king and queen, or stop the bad guys from doing something.

This is for kids = this is not a gritty D&D delve/campaign, it’s all cartoonish violence and realism level.
It must be fast = We usually have only an hour or two to play 1-3 encounters.
Not to creepy scary etc = this is for kids 3, 5, 7 :)
Keep interest fun and fast paced = not much background, not much plot, must have action all the time or all chaos breaks out.

Typical Delve in Implementation:
3 encounters usually blurs into 1 long encounter, lots of dice rolling, lots of hits by the kids, the bad guys run away or give up.
That’s about it -- The reaction; the kids went nuts, they loved it. I am asked at least once a day to play “The Game” .
Another bonus is that they want to run the bad guys, they love to pick the plot tell the rest of us what we need to hit, and when the bad guy is defeated.

How I run the encounters, initially I was going to try and use many of the BECMI or 4E rules, but nope not fast enough.
Roll initiative, pick a defense number (all the kids yell is what I need to hit), pick a hit point total, and go rolling dice. By “pick a number” I mean make numbers up out of thin air to make it fun.

This Delve format along with playing Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga on the Wii with my oldest Son has lead to the campaign. My kids love to play with Legos, and I don’t want to really buy too many more D&D figures, especially when they are a random distribution.

So my campaign minifigs will be lego minifigs, and if I need more or something different I will use the WotC minis that I already own. This should make the Danish on the Piazza happy since I now have bought quite a few Lego minifigs for the campaign :D .

Set-Up;
I custom ordered/built lego minifigs for my family and their characters. I ordered sets of lego minifigs, and Lego sets that contain a high number of minifigs in them.
My kids (ages 3,5,7) have their character minifigs, plus the minifigs from lego sets they have played with already. They will “unlock” new minifigs as they encounter them or reach a goal or rescue them.

Current “unlocked sets” ; some Lego princess sets, some Lego batman sets, some Lego star wars sets, and some Lego Ferrari sets.

Current Hidden sets; several Lego star wars sets, a Lego princess set, the entire Lego castle line, some Lego Viking sets, Lego city minifigs, Lego pirate minifigs, Lego Indiana Jones minifigs. I also have some of the new WotC minis that can be mixed in as well.

Maps etc.; I am using the dungeon tiles you can get from Wizards – I have 2 of all except DT1 (which I have none of, but would like). Fantastic locations maps, module maps, Paizo map packs, and a chessex map you can draw on with overhead pens.

I am out of time, I must get my daughter to dance class, I will add more tomorrow or tonight after the kids go to bed.
Edit -- sorry for the bad typing, errors, and I will get to how I am implementing 4E into the game later.

BotWizo
Wizard

More Background and implementation of 4E

Post by BotWizo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:33 pm

As always with me sorry for the poor grammar, it is my weakness.

So as you figured out, So far this thread is not nearly as awesome as Waylander39’s thread. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2183 , I am using it for a different purpose. Please provide input for my questions at the bottom.

Note:
It looks like I may be DMing and adult 4E campaign as well, so I will mix those posts in here as separate posts with different titles so I don’t create multiple threads.

I will get to the Campaign encounter descriptions in later posts, but I thought some people might like an explanation of how I use 4E to play the Lego Kid campaign.

I am using the rules in the background and the kids will just have to roll play and roll.
We played 2 campaign encounters so far in addition to the delves I described above. The next time we played I had them roll up ability scores. They were having fun rolling d6s so they rolled enough to complete several stat sets each I will use the best ability score set for their characters. I am going to ease them into using different attack powers, so for now they may just have 1-3 attack powers, rather than the full array.

My oldest Son’s playstyle seems to fit a swordmage. He plays his character like a Jedi, and the Swordmage fits that role. He likes to get right up to the bad guys duel it out, but still use some magic.
The Middle Daughter, her playstyle is more of a cleric or paladin, possibly cleric multiclassed into Invoker. She likes to make sure that she can put band-aids on the other characters when they are hurt, but when the bad guys hurt one of her brothers she really wants to bring the pain and vengeance down on the enemy. I am still mulling over her class since she needs the heal ability, but also needs some range attacks. Cleric seems the best fit unless someone else has a better idea.
Youngest son, his playstyle for his minifigure is to have 2 swords and swinging away. There are also times when he loves to sit back and shoot guys from far away, so I think this is straight up Ranger class.

I was going to let them choose a race, but then I thought I could do some really neat campaign hooks and discoveries by having them “meet/discover” new races throughout the campaign. I am building their character sheets, and selecting powers based on how they played in the first several delves. The only problem I can see is that I may have is the use of Daily Powers, I am not sure how they will grasp that they can only use a certain attack once, and then must rest. I suppose it will all be in the explanation.

Now that I have the rules running in the background, it gives me more of a structure to the encounters, and a selection of attacks for enemies and characters. I am going to try and keep things fast paced as I mentioned above so as to not bog down the game.

Tactics; This is one area that really surprised me, and was one of the motivating factors for starting this thread. These three in the lego campaign seem to have really good tactics, and I don’t coach them either. They tend to try and take down the enemy leader/controller first, then focus on minions. I am not sure if I give extra description to the leader or if I am doing some other “tip-off” that they focus on them.
The reason the lego group tactics really blew me away, is that one of the adult groups I was trying to get a playspot in was very much the opposite. The adults fight what is directly in front of them, leave the controllers around to harass the party, forget some of their powers, and in general choose some very strange tactics. I could probably dedicate a whole post to what I saw when I watched them play through some encounters recently.

The next posts for the lego kid campaign will be more in the line of Waylander39’s but probably lower quality.

Now the real reason I created the thread – I need some advice on the setting and campaign path.

I took BECMI red box Bargle encounter and first adventure maps, and created some starting encounters for their lego campaign.I also have quite a few of the lego star wars sets and minis for the kids.

Do I start their campaign using 4E rules but in a star wars setting, or do I start them out in threshold encountering Bargle like in the red box set? Does it matter?

Will this make their favorite game Star Wars or D&D from the flavor of the first campaign?

Please give me your thoughts.

I am wondering, because my first roleplaying game in sixth grade was D&D. If it had been Star Wars or Star Frontiers would I gravitate towards them rather than D&D now, I can’t give an unbiased answer since D&D pretty much was the only role-playing game at the time, and I judge all role-playing games by comparing them to BECMI & 1st ed. AD&D.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:49 pm

BotWizo - this is brilliant! I am definitely stealing some of these ideas to help run games when I play with my daughter! She is 10 and very story driven. The thing I have to be careful with though is that she isn't too big on learning lots of rules. I have to keep them simple, and like you say, keep the game fast (at least the part that is rules driven). Story wise she is just as good as her dad (maybe even a bit better ;) ) and has already given me several good plot lines to run with and develop.

Anyway, the Lego idea is also brilliant. I've got a ton of old castle minifigs, and she has a few newer sets (mostly star wars, some new castle). I am going to pull these out the next time we play. I also really like the idea of letting her make her own minifig to represent her character (and all her friends).

Please keep posting your experiences.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: More Background and implementation of 4E

Post by Chimpman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:09 pm

BotWizo wrote:Now the real reason I created the thread – I need some advice on the setting and campaign path.

I took BECMI red box Bargle encounter and first adventure maps, and created some starting encounters for their lego campaign.I also have quite a few of the lego star wars sets and minis for the kids.

Do I start their campaign using 4E rules but in a star wars setting, or do I start them out in threshold encountering Bargle like in the red box set? Does it matter?

Will this make their favorite game Star Wars or D&D from the flavor of the first campaign?

Please give me your thoughts.

I am wondering, because my first roleplaying game in sixth grade was D&D. If it had been Star Wars or Star Frontiers would I gravitate towards them rather than D&D now, I can’t give an unbiased answer since D&D pretty much was the only role-playing game at the time, and I judge all role-playing games by comparing them to BECMI & 1st ed. AD&D.
Hmmm... this is a very good question, and I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer. My gut instinct is to say play what you would enjoy more. Dad is part of the game too, and I find (at least when playing with my daughter) that I tend to stay more dedicated to the game when the genre is something I care about. She's ok with this because it means time with dad, and the format is not really that important to her.

I grew up with red and blue boxed sets, so my background is probably very similar to yours. One thing I noticed (and something we did as kids as well) is that you can bring plenty of sci-fi elements into a D&D game without too much disruption. You want a Jedi - flaming sword. You want a Vulcan - bookworm elf. You get the idea. By the way, even though we played a fairly standard D&D most of the time, we were also always big Star Wars fans. Many a stick in the yard was used as a lightsaber. As you say D&D was the only real role playing format back in the day, but we still got our time in "playing" other genres. Star Wars, GIJoe, Transformers, you name it. When I role play though, it still tends to be in a fantasy setting. I think I might be babbling now... what was the original topic? I guess if I had to sum it up I would say, start them out with something that you love. You'll see right away if they are bored with it, and if they are don't be afraid to let other genre's elements bleed over. If that doesn't work, then switch entirely. But I'm betting that they will be less concerned about genre and more concerned about actually playing ;)

Now, another thing I loved about the Gazetteer line was that it gives some glimpse into real world cultures by wrapping them in a fancy exciting fantasy setting. I have actually used that as a way to get my daughter interested in RW history, so that has always been an added bonus for me.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:18 pm

I like this -- and it sounds like you're having a blast!

I agree with Chimpman -- not sure there's a "right" answer. I'd suggest choosing the setting you think they would enjoy exploring the most, but if they're mostly there to have fun I doubt which setting will make much of a difference. It's probably much cooler to spend time with Dad regardless of setting :-)

As for adult groups not necessarily being very tactical, yeah -- I noticed that in my group. They're not used to the minion thing yet (long-time players of various editions, just coming off a several year 3.0 game), so they tend to just attack whatever's out in front. I don't mind, it means that relatively easy encounters turn out to not be the pushovers they should be...
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

Val.S
Gnoll

Post by Val.S » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:47 pm

I wonder if the adult group suffers from a lack of buy-in to the game, more about the beer and pretzels and showing off their cool character build, where the kids are more whole-hearted involved with the story and thus the teamwork aspect comes more naturally?

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:24 pm

Chimpman wrote:Anyway, the Lego idea is also brilliant. I've got a ton of old castle minifigs, and she has a few newer sets (mostly star wars, some new castle). I am going to pull these out the next time we play. I also really like the idea of letting her make her own minifig to represent her character (and all her friends).
Sorry, replying to my own post above, but since you mentioned the legos I thought you might find this interesting. Check out a site called Bricklink. If you're careful about exactly what you buy, you can get some really great deals. I've been buying pieces from various sellers when the prices are down and slowly gathering everything I need to create a Thyatian legion (of about 30 soldiers or so), complete with horses and chariots! I just picked up about 15 horses yesterday for about $0.50 each.

I've also seriously started looking at boat pieces in an attempt to put together a Spelljammer Hammerhead ship. That one may have to wait a while though.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:19 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Chimpman wrote:Anyway, the Lego idea is also brilliant. I've got a ton of old castle minifigs, and she has a few newer sets (mostly star wars, some new castle). I am going to pull these out the next time we play. I also really like the idea of letting her make her own minifig to represent her character (and all her friends).
Sorry, replying to my own post above, but since you mentioned the legos I thought you might find this interesting. Check out a site called Bricklink. If you're careful about exactly what you buy, you can get some really great deals. I've been buying pieces from various sellers when the prices are down and slowly gathering everything I need to create a Thyatian legion (of about 30 soldiers or so), complete with horses and chariots! I just picked up about 15 horses yesterday for about $0.50 each.

I've also seriously started looking at boat pieces in an attempt to put together a Spelljammer Hammerhead ship. That one may have to wait a while though.

Thanks for the tip I will check it out, I have gone and bought as many individual lego figs sets as I can, and now I am looking for a way to fill in some figs. I like buying the lego figs rather than buying the wizards minis. I think if I play in an adult campaign my fig will be a lego fig. :lol:

I will have some more updates when I have time we have played the kid game twice since my last post.

thanks agian!

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Well I have not kept up with this thread and I am sorry for that.

I have played 1 large encounter with the kids, and it was a fun one, a bunch of minions tried to overrun the kids, and they had a blast.

We really haven't played since this last encounter before Christmas, but I think we may have time one of the next few weekends.
I keep buying the minifig magnet sets from lego, to get the most figures.
I know have a small campaign outlined for the kids and will run them on rainy days this summer.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I am also starting up an adult campaign in 4E where I will be the DM.

I need some help and want to see what the experts think.

Setup;
Most of the group has never played BECMI, and only 1 player knows of the known world, so everything would be brand new to the group and I think could be really exciting.

Questions to the Piazza experts;
Which module would you convert to 4E and start the players in?
B1 in search of the unkown, B2 Keep on the Borderlands, or another module?

I thought about converting the temple of elemental evil and placing it in the known world, but this would take a major chunk of the campaign and I think it would be fun to explore the known world rather than chug through a supermodule as my first campaign back as DM. (TEE is my favorite module though)

I am thinking of running the following adventures in 4E during the Mystara campaign;

(After the answer to the start question, the list could change)
b1,b2,b4,b10 maybe b3,b6,b7,b9
x1,x3,x4,x5,x7,x10,x11 maybe x2,x9,x12
cm1 maybe cm2,cm3,cm4
m1,m2, maybe m3,m4

it all depends on how these modules convert to 4E and player choices as well as how fast they level. I know modules that we will definitely play/convert will be x10 and cm1.

I am not sure if I will interweave the WotI plot and have that as the grand finale final events, as I said before around the piazza we quit to go to college when this came out, and I don't like siniking alphatia, I may use it and modify it heavily.

Long story short it looks like a new set of players will traverse with mystara using 4E rules and conversions and I would like your help in creating a fun campaign.

Thanks!!!

Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:38 pm

My last 4e campaign was set in Mystara and started with some homebrew plotlines and sand-box style exploring.

I did run them through pre-done modules later in the campaign though (in this order):

B2 - Set just outside Darokin, the "Temple of Chaos" was actually a temple to Tiamat secretly attended by prominent Darokin citizens.

B1 - Set somewhere in Karameikos and populated by goblins/hobgobs/bugbears. The hobgobs used a goblin interpreter to talk to the party, and he secretly conspired with the party to co-operate with them in order to wipe out the hobgobs and bugbears and free the goblin slaves.

S2 - Set in the middle of the Malpheggi swamp.

I3-5 - Set in the Great Waste of Sind. I had the party fulfilling the prophecy on behalf of Vecna (they weren't an evil party, he'd just made them an "offer they couldn't refuse".

X1 - They had a treasure map to this place and simply followed it.

S1 - I replaced the Kopru temple in the middle of X1 with this, and it proved a fitting finale to the campaign.

B2, and I3-5 were written into the larger plot of the campaign. The others were just sidetracking adventures.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Considering that BECMI and 4e levels have little in common (1st level 4e characters are remarkably stronger than 1st level BECMI characters, but 4e monsters are distributed across levels in a very different way w.r.t. BECMI), I'd use B10 as the first adventure, followed by B4 and possibly B11/B12.

Note that by 4e standards, these are giant-sized adventures that would span across several levels (like the published 4e adventures). I suppose the B10-B4-B11-B12 string would cover up the entire Heroic tier.

The Great War series could well take up the entire Paragon tier, and you could then move to Master-level adventures for the Epic Tier.

Back to the first adventure issue, I think B10 is good, in that it allows the PCs to tour around the Grand Duchy, visit three towns (Kelvin, Threshold and Rifllian) discover some important pieces of history and geography (the Hutaakans, the non-human tribes), and fight key villains (goblinoids, the Iron Ring, lycanthropes, and a powerful abomination).
In comparison, B4 and B11/12 are too focused on smaller areas, while the other Basic adventures are shorter, and would take more work to string together in a coherent campaign.

GP

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:50 am

The last two times I started a Mystara game, I started with B10 converted to "current" (2nd edition in college, 3.5 a few years ago). It worked well, but the way I run it it's practically a campaign in and of itself :-)

I suspect the initial big encounter (the goblin assault on Sukiskyn) will work much better with minions and short rests than it did with the 3.5 rules (which darn near slaughtered the party).

(The only reason the 2e game made it through that without significant danger was allowing some dimension door abuse from the party's psionicist (in the door frame the goblins had broken through).)

This time, I'm starting from an adventure nugget from GAZ10 and will be developing further custom adventures for the rest of the campaign (probably influenced by existing modules at various points, but no straight translations planned). Not because there's anything wrong with B10, but I wanted to do something different for my own entertainment, and there's so many places on Mystara to experiment with :-)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:55 am

Bonetti wrote: I suspect the initial big encounter (the goblin assault on Sukiskyn) will work much better with minions and short rests than it did with the 3.5 rules (which darn near slaughtered the party).
Indeed, but take into account that the adventure is not supposed to be run with beginning characters in OD&D. The adventure is written for 5-8 PCs of levels 2-4, meaning that the average party should be composed (at the beginning of the adventure) of 6 or 7 level 3 characters.

GP

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 am

agathokles wrote:
Bonetti wrote: I suspect the initial big encounter (the goblin assault on Sukiskyn) will work much better with minions and short rests than it did with the 3.5 rules (which darn near slaughtered the party).
Indeed, but take into account that the adventure is not supposed to be run with beginning characters in OD&D. The adventure is written for 5-8 PCs of levels 2-4, meaning that the average party should be composed (at the beginning of the adventure) of 6 or 7 level 3 characters.
Whenever I ran 2nd and 3rd/3.5, I started the party at 2nd just because 1st level characters have always been far too easy to kill (and not because the module in question called for it -- that was just my standard practice).

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:11 pm

agathokles wrote:Considering that BECMI and 4e levels have little in common (1st level 4e characters are remarkably stronger than 1st level BECMI characters, but 4e monsters are distributed across levels in a very different way w.r.t. BECMI), I'd use B10 as the first adventure, followed by B4 and possibly B11/B12.
GP
I am wrestling with this idea myself, not really the power the characters have at first level because the monsters are more powerful, so it seems it all scaled together.
To me 4e feels similar to BECMI and 1E AD&D.

The problem I am having is converting the modules over to 4e, even small modules seem to have way to many monsters/ encounters for 4e.

I really want to give the players the fun that we had of going through the classic modules and mystara since they have never heard of many of the modules or the setting.

Thanks for the suggestions, and if you have more keep them coming.

Have a great day!

JohnBiles
Hill Giant

Post by JohnBiles » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:37 pm

BotWizo wrote:
The problem I am having is converting the modules over to 4e, even small modules seem to have way to many monsters/ encounters for 4e.
Eliminate some, consolidate others.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:45 pm

It has been a while, and my campaign for 4e adults has changed.

Another player wanted to DM and so I am playing in his campaign which is the scales of war adventure path. This campaign is going rather slow, but is very fun.

So i have focused on the game for my kids.
Setup: as mentioned before lego minfigs are used in this campaign, I was torn for a long time on where to start for three kids ages 8, 6, and 4.

We started with the Aleena adventure from the redbox in the caves. I am using 4e rules in the background, the kids don't overly worry about powers and such, just dice roles, strategy, problem solving and roleplaying.

They got Aleena back to town just in time to revive her after Bargle shot her with the magic missile. I was going to have her end up just like the original adventure, but I read the situation that it would not have been acceptable so the kids saved the day.

They are going back to the caves just like the adventure in the BECMI red box dm's book. this is the dungeon where there is a hole with the gate doors covering them, and bargle inhabits the third level you have to design yourself.

I told the kids they had to name their character since it is not them going through the dungeons.

the four year old named his fighter : Haco (rhymes with taco)
the eight year old named his wizard: JuJo
the six year old is still deliberating on the name of her cleric.

I am not using xp per se, I will level up the party whenever it works for the campaign, this way we can play many low level encounters/BECMI modules.
After the caves depending on which adventure hook the party takes is whether they are off to B1 or B2.
The plan is that as a young gamer I had so much fun using those modules and that setting that I will run the kids through most of the mystara modules, or at least the ones I liked.

This has cost me though, now I am determined to complete my classic and 1st ed D&D collection, and I have had to buy a ton of lego minifigs and lego sets. But I guess at least I don't have a bunch of D&D minis sitting around that I can only use for one purpose.

I will see if I can post some images later, and more details if anyone is interested.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Here is the pick from the red box for the portion of the caves when you meet Aleena.

I connected that area to the mapped area in the players hand book, along with more areas that I mapped.
Here is the version that is displayed in the book.

This portion along with my custom caves still have to be finished.

I will scan my custom map later and post so you can see what they are in for.

Mods: I am ok posting these pics correct? I don't want to get myself or the site in trouble. I am just using them for explanation, I don't think I am infringing on anything am I?

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Here is where the group will go after they finish the caves, they will go to Mistamere and look for Bargle. (This was once the castle of Gygar the wizard)

let me know if it is ok to post these images or if I need to remove them.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:39 pm

BotWizo wrote:This has cost me though, now I am determined to complete my classic and 1st ed D&D collection, and I have had to buy a ton of lego minifigs and lego sets. But I guess at least I don't have a bunch of D&D minis sitting around that I can only use for one purpose.
Not sure if you're aware of it, but Bricklink is a good place to get individual figs and parts, or bulk parts, without having to buy a whole set that may have parts you don't want. There are also older parts/figs/creatures available that aren't in current sets for even greater variety. :)

Might help if you think you've been buying more than you really want/need to get the job done.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:52 pm

AuldDragon wrote:
BotWizo wrote:This has cost me though, now I am determined to complete my classic and 1st ed D&D collection, and I have had to buy a ton of lego minifigs and lego sets. But I guess at least I don't have a bunch of D&D minis sitting around that I can only use for one purpose.
Not sure if you're aware of it, but Bricklink is a good place to get individual figs and parts, or bulk parts, without having to buy a whole set that may have parts you don't want. There are also older parts/figs/creatures available that aren't in current sets for even greater variety. :)

Might help if you think you've been buying more than you really want/need to get the job done.

Jeff
yep thanks, I know of them, but so far it doesn't seem like we can have too many legos.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:37 pm

Wow looking at brick link there are quite a few shield patterns I would like to get for our game.

The kids hate Bargle now, so I DMed him real well.
We have not finished with the caves where you meet Bargle and go back after going into town, so we are still adventuring out of the redbox caves. We are about 3/4 done with the map I expanded from the redbox.

After that it is off to Mistamere, but first we have to have a party at the farm where the kids are from. The daughter has been wanting to get out of the caves to have a party in town or at their farm.

I am currently thinking it will be a small town party to thank them for clearing out the caves, and rescuing Aleena.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:48 pm

update on the kid lego campaign.

They ventured through most of the old caves with rooms I added on.
I was going to be true to the original encounter in the red box and have Aleena perish, but reading into their faces, Aleena was saved the my Daughters cleric (Gea - pronounced "G").

Haco the fighter, Ju Jo the wizard and Gea the cleric delivered Aleena back to threshold and then finished off the caves.
They returned to town to have a celebration with Aleena and the town (more or less just for the fun of it).
We then embarked to an outdoor encounter DMed by my daughter. Her character went along with the other two, I was not ready for the encounter so I am winging it since we have not finished the "path" yet.

The reason I have to wing it is she set up the encounters and monsters and I have to DM the encounters. We are fighting lizardmen (theme) with stats adjusted appropriately for the party.

She made a map and set up encounters along the path, they are pretty cool, I will give you short one sentence descriptions of each encounter and if you want more detail I will gladly give it.

So now I had to make a character in-case they want me to go through their encounters, I also had my non-gamer wife come up with a name and concept for a character.
To keep with the naming convention the kids seemed to have my character's name will be Dak Do and my wife named her character Kay. We figured family's would keep some kind of name convention of either naming kids after ancestors or something so it seemed right to have the parents with these names.

Dak Do is a Swordmage and Kay is a Cleric I am not sure what level to set them at, or to change them from parents to siblings and set them at 1st level as well.

After we finish with the Wilderness path my daughter set up the group will travel to Castle Mistamere, and encounter Bargle for a second time.

Return to “D&D 4th Edition”