BotWizo's 4th Ed Campaign

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: BotWizo's 4th Ed Campaign

Post by Chimpman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:52 pm

This is really cool BotWizo! I'd love to see the details of the encounters you've run.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Chimpman wrote:This is really cool BotWizo! I'd love to see the details of the encounters you've run.

I'll post them when I get a chance.

This has been tons of fun my kids love playing and they ask to play all the time. I think mixing D&D with lego minifigs really caught their interest. I steal ideas from people at the piazza for encounters or settings, so this site has been a great resource.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Update on the adult campaign stuff.

I was playing in a campaign and we were playing through the scales of war campaign path I reached 6th level as a human cleric.
Let me tell you I like playing a cleric in the 4E rules, I took the opportunities that 4E allows and I have a cleric that wields and execution axe and tries to be a super-healer.
This was a fun build choice I love the change from the rules I was used to playing (and still like to play) [1E and BECMI].

It was fun in the fact that sometimes I stood right next to our defenders and hammered away on the bad guys, and other times stood back hit the enemy controllers with my ranged attacks and healed the party.

The cleric is such an effective healer that the DM was constantly scaling up encounters to make them a challange. If he didn't the monsters would get our avenger or druid near death, and with a heal or two they were near full hp.

I loved the playing the contradiction of a healer who wields a giant axe.

Sad to say the campaign folded just as it was getting real good.
I will be continuing the lego campaign, as well as starting up an adult campaign set in mystara using 4E rules, I was going to pick up where my old campaign left off in 1990, but I think I will do a complete wipe and start the players over in the known world and they will have to explore to learn things, and their interactions shape the world.

The adults will meet up with Bargle, in a similar fashion as the kid campaign, so we will see if Aleena will survive her first encounter when the group meets her or not.

I will start posting some of the Background details that are quirks (or facts of reality) in my campaign.
some of these i will post soon will be;
-- flavor for many of the 4E races is changed to either match mystara or my own thoughts on how it should be.
-- flavor of the "rules of the world" such as the classic elements and how to integrate the 4e damage types into a BECMI setting.

If anyone would care to respond, how could I have characters start out the campaign and not know about the world around them? [set in mystara/known world]
transported like in the D&D cartoon? (not necessarily from the future)
small towners that just haven't gone past threshold?
other?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:14 pm

BotWizo wrote:If anyone would care to respond, how could I have characters start out the campaign and not know about the world around them? [set in mystara/known world]
other?
I would say that depends entirely on where you start. Since you mention Threshold as the starting area, consider the actual education level the characters would likely receive. At most, they would know their parents' tradeskills and associated knowledge, plus maybe the names of the nearest settlements and the names of Specularum/Mirros and Kelvin. If none are from merchant or noble families, they likely know little beyond the immediate vicinity. (Obviously, clerical orders would have some scholarship, but it would likely be built around the specifics of worship -- and probably wouldn't be a detailed course on the world.) They probably have heard the occasional exotic name (e.g. Selenica) from traveling merchants, but have no context.

If they start out youngish and recently Sheared, without decent education opportunities there's no reason to justify them knowing much beyond what they would (over)hear.

As for the players, that's trickier ;-)

For comparison, in my Darokin game, I've given the players a copy of the Known World map (figuring they would know the nations, at least, given the various party members' backgrounds) and a map of Darokin.

I've added some specific additional knowledge on a per-background basis. The rogue knows a bit about Akorros and Darokin City, the swordmage knew the road from Selenica to Darokin City (and, being from a merchant family in Ylaruam, would have known a lot about that -- but it never came up), the ranger has had Alfheim information fed to him and has been given maps as they've traveled, etc. I basically feed them just what makes sense given their specific character backgrounds.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Bonetti wrote:
BotWizo wrote:If anyone would care to respond, how could I have characters start out the campaign and not know about the world around them? [set in mystara/known world]
other?
I would say that depends entirely on where you start. Since you mention Threshold as the starting area, consider the actual education level the characters would likely receive. At most, they would know their parents' tradeskills and associated knowledge, plus maybe the names of the nearest settlements and the names of Specularum/Mirros and Kelvin. If none are from merchant or noble families, they likely know little beyond the immediate vicinity. (Obviously, clerical orders would have some scholarship, but it would likely be built around the specifics of worship -- and probably wouldn't be a detailed course on the world.) They probably have heard the occasional exotic name (e.g. Selenica) from traveling merchants, but have no context.

If they start out youngish and recently Sheared, without decent education opportunities there's no reason to justify them knowing much beyond what they would (over)hear.

As for the players, that's trickier ;-)

For comparison, in my Darokin game, I've given the players a copy of the Known World map (figuring they would know the nations, at least, given the various party members' backgrounds) and a map of Darokin.

I've added some specific additional knowledge on a per-background basis. The rogue knows a bit about Akorros and Darokin City, the swordmage knew the road from Selenica to Darokin City (and, being from a merchant family in Ylaruam, would have known a lot about that -- but it never came up), the ranger has had Alfheim information fed to him and has been given maps as they've traveled, etc. I basically feed them just what makes sense given their specific character backgrounds.

Thanks for the response!
What is cool is most of the players started in 2E or later so with carefully asked questions I know many of them do not know of mystara or any of the BECMI modules.
they know of the red box, but never played it or even 1E rules so they will be experiencing the world in much the same way the characters are.

I like the direction you took, and I don't need a lot of hokus pokus to explain the origins. this may be the default start now unless something else changes my mind.

Thanks agian.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:56 am

You're welcome :-)

As an addendum, I've been pretty free with information if they ask -- both in terms of "is there anywhere like [X]" and "what do we know about this?" It's helped them see how well-developed the world is, and (except for figuring out which group may be behind an activity) it encourages them to be curious about the world as more than just "the place our adventures are". I've also put together the occasional e-mail to the group to supplement information or to gather side notes together. It's worked out pretty well, and it kept the world from being a huge learning curve while we were also learning 4e :-)

(I did something similar once before, when I ran B10 w/2e back in the early 90s, and it worked out similarly well.)

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Fri May 06, 2011 5:16 pm

I have made tables to analyze how the 4E classes are distributed, and if players were worried about which roles were missing from parties etc.

so here is the visual table version of all the 4E classes and their distribution by power v role.
A class with the main class then a - is and essential character (ex. Hunter-Ranger)
A class with the main class then a description in [] is a regular class with the new name Wizo's are putting in the character builder (i think just to cause confusion :D ) = (ex. figher [weapon master])

_______________Power | Arcane | Divine | Martial | Primal | Psionic | Shadow Role | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ---------------------- Controller | Arcanist [Wizard] | Invoker | | Druid | Psion | | | | | Seeker | | | Mage - Wizard | | Hunter - Ranger | | | | Binder - Warlock | | | | | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ---------------------- Defender | Swordmage | Paladin | Weapon Master [Fighter] | Warden | Battlemind | | | Cavalier - Paladin | Knight - Fighter | | | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ---------------------- Leader | Bard | Templar [Cleric] | Marshal [Fighter] | Shaman | Ardent | | Artificer | Runepriest | | | | | | Warpriest - Cleric | | Sentinel - Druid | | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ---------------------- Striker | Warlock | Avenger | Ranger | Barbarian | Monk | Assassin | Sorcerer | | Scoundrel [Rogue] | | | Vampire | Hexblade - Warlock | Blackguard - Paladin | Scout - Ranger | | | | | | Slayer - Fighter | | | | | | Thief - Rogue | | | | | | Executioner - Assassin | | | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ------------------------------ | ----------------------
Last edited by BotWizo on Fri May 20, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Fri May 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Here is a table that is more of a text analysis of the 4E classes that i created for the players back at the start of 4E and keep filling them in as classes are added.
I hope this is useful to 4E players here.
| | | | | (+ Con) | | (+Con Mod) | | | | | | | classes | role | power | Book | sort help | Lvl 1 Hp | HP/Lvl | # Heal Sur | Fort | Ref | Will | Abil 1 | Abil 2 | Abil 3 | Abil 4 Arcanist [Wizard] | Controller | Arcane | ph 1 | 1 | 10 | 4 | 6 | | | 2 | Int | Wis | Dex | Invoker | Controller | Divine | ph 2 | 3 | 10 | 4 | 6 | 1 | 1 | 1 | Wis | Con | Int | Druid | Controller | Primal | ph 2 | 3 | 12 | 5 | 7 | | 1 | 1 | Wis | Dex | Con | Seeker | Controller | Primal | ph 3 | 5 | 12 | 5 | 7 | | 1 | 1 | Wis | Str | Dex | Psion | Controller | Psionic | ph 3 | 5 | 12 | 4 | 6 | | | 2 | Int | Chr | Wis | Swordmage | Defender | Arcane | fr | 2 | 15 | 6 | 8 | | | 2 | Int | Str | Con | Paladin | Defender | Divine | ph 1 | 1 | 15 | 6 | 10 | 1 | 1 | 1 | Str | Chr | Wis | Weapon Master [Fighter ] | Defender | Martial | ph 1 | 1 | 15 | 6 | 9 | 2 | | | Str | Dex | Wis | Warden | Defender | Primal | ph 2 | 3 | 17 | 7 | 9 | 1 | | 1 | Str | Con | Wis | Battlemind | Defender | Psionic | ph 3 | 5 | 15 | 6 | 9 | | | 2 | Con | Wis | Chr | Artificer | Leader | Arcane | e | 4 | 12 | 5 | 6 | 1 | | 1 | Int | Con | Wis | Bard | Leader | Arcane | ph 2 | 3 | 12 | 5 | 7 | | 1 | 1 | Chr | Int | Con | Templar [Cleric] | Leader | Divine | ph 1 | 1 | 12 | 5 | 7 | | | 2 | Wis | Str | Chr | Runepriest | Leader | Divine | ph 3 | 5 | 12 | 5 | 7 | | | 2 | Str | Con | Wis | Marshal [Warlord] | Leader | Martial | ph 1 | 1 | 12 | 5 | 7 | 1 | | 1 | Str | Int | Chr | Shaman | Leader | Primal | ph 2 | 3 | 12 | 5 | 7 | 1 | | 1 | Wis | Con | Int | Ardent | Leader | Psionic | ph 3 | 5 | 12 | 5 | 7 | 1 | | 1 | Chr | Con | Wis | Sorcerer | Striker | Arcane | ph 2 | 3 | 12 | 5 | 6 | | | 2 | Con | Dex | Str | Warlock | Striker | Arcane | ph 1 | 1 | 12 | 5 | 6 | | 1 | 1 | Chr | Con | Int | Avenger | Striker | Divine | ph 2 | 3 | 14 | 6 | 7 | 1 | 1 | 1 | Wis | Dex | Int | Ranger | Striker | Martial | ph 1 | 1 | 12 | 5 | 6 | 1 | 1 | | Str | Dex | Wis | Scoundrel [Rogue] | Striker | Martial | ph 1 | 1 | 12 | 5 | 6 | | 2 | | Dex | Str | Chr | Barbarian | Striker | Primal | ph 2 | 3 | 15 | 6 | 8 | 2 | | | Str | Con | Chr | Monk | Striker | Psionic | ph 3 | 5 | 12 | 5 | 7 | 1 | 1 | 1 | Dex | Str | Wis | Assassin | Striker | Shadow | Dr 379 | 6 | 10 | 4 | 6 | 1 | | 1 | Dex | Chr | Con | Mage - Wizard | Controller | Arcane | ES - HFL | 7 | 10 | 4 | 6 | 0 | 0 | 2 | Int | Con | Wis | Chr Hunter - Ranger | Controller | Martial | ES - HFK | 8 | 12 | 5 | 6 | 1 | 1 | 0 | Dex | Wis | | Cavalier - Paladin | Defender | Divine | ES - HFK | 8 | 15 | 6 | 10 | 1 | 1 | 1 | Str | Chr | | Knight - Fighter | Defender | Martial | ES - HFL | 7 | 16 | 6 | 9 | 2 | 0 | 0 | Str | Con | | Warpriest - Cleric | Leader | Divine | ES - HFL | 7 | 12 | 5 | 7 | 1 | 0 | 1 | Wis | Con | | Sentinel - Druid | Leader | Primal | ES - HFK | 8 | 12 | 5 | 7 | 2 | 0 | 0 | Wis | Con | | Hexblade - Warlock | Striker | Arcane | ES - HFK | 8 | 12 | 5 | 6 | 1 | 0 | 1 | Chr | Dex | Con | Scout - Ranger | Striker | Martial | ES - HFK | 8 | 12 | 5 | 7 | 1 | 1 | 0 | Dex | Wis | | Slayer - Fighter | Striker | Martial | ES - HFL | 7 | 15 | 6 | 9 | 2 | 0 | 0 | Str | Dex | | Thief - Rogue | Striker | Martial | ES - HFL | 7 | 12 | 5 | 6 | 0 | 2 | 0 | Dex | Str | Chr | Blackguard - Paladin | Striker | Divine | ES - HoS | 9 | 15 | 6 | 10 | 1 | 1 | 1 | Str | Chr | | Vampire | Striker | Shadow | ES - HoS | 9 | 12 | 5 | 2 (no con mod) | 1 | 0 | 1 | Dex | Chr | | Binder - Warlock | Controller | Arcane | ES - HoS | 9 | 12 | 5 | 6 | 0 | 1 | 1 | Chr | Int | Dex | Assassin - Executioner | Striker | Martial | ES - HoS | 9 | 12 | 5 | 7 | 1 | 0 | 1 | Dex | Chr | |
Last edited by BotWizo on Fri May 20, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Fri May 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Nice, thanks for sharing the tables! :-) I had one for the base classes, but hadn't bothered updating it with Essentials yet.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Fri May 06, 2011 8:43 pm

Here is a table I did at the time of AVII and maybe one or two supplements after.
I was just anaylzing weapon damage die, and seeing where they land, and if I wanted to create weapons and figure damage for something like seige engines or something else.

die | amount | notes d4 | 1-4 | d6 | 1-6 | d8 | 1-8 | 2d4 | 2-8 | d10 | 1-10 | d12 | 1-12 | 2d6 | 2-12 | 4E Player weapons stop here 3d4 | 3-12 | 2d8 | 2-16 | 4d4 | 4-16 | 3d6 | 3-18 | 1d20 | 1-20 | 2d10 | 2-20 | 5d4 | 5-20 | 2d12 | 2-24 | 3d8 | 3-24 | 4d6 | 4-24 | 6d4 | 6-24 | 7d4 | 7-28 | 3d10 | 3-30 | 5d6 | 5-30 | 4d8 | 4-32 | 8d4 | 8-32 | 3d12 | 3-36 | 6d6 | 6-36 | 9d4 | 9-36 | 2d20 | 2-40 | 4d10 | 4-40 | 5d8 | 5-40 | 10d4 | 10-40 |

here is a summary of the max die and amounts for the table above;
max die | max value 2d20 | 40 3d12 | 36 4d10 | 40 5d8 | 40 6d6 | 36 10d4 | 40

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Fri May 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Here is a table where I ran the 4E ability modifiers our for a score of 60, in the thought there may be immortals with a ability score that high or something.
Hasn't come up yet, but a quick and handy table if you are not using character builder.
Ability Score | Modifier 1 | -5 2-3 | -4 4-5 | -3 6-7 | -2 8-9 | -1 10-11 | 0 12-13 | +1 14-15 | +2 16-17 | +3 18-19 | +4 20-21 | +5 22-23 | +6 24-25 | +7 26-27 | +8 28-29 | +9 30-31 | +10 32-33 | +11 34-35 | +12 36-37 | +13 38-39 | +14 40-41 | +15 42-43 | +16 44-45 | +17 46-47 | +18 48-49 | +19 50-51 | +20 52-53 | +21 54-55 | +22 56-57 | +23 58-59 | +24 60 | +25

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Fri May 06, 2011 8:51 pm

For the sake of having all of my tables in one thread I will post my species/race and both class tables here as well;
Species | Book | Any | Str | Int | Wis | Dex | Con | Chr | Power 1 | Power 2 | desc. | Relation Human | PH | 2 | | | | | | | Heroic Effort | | h1-Man | 1 Kalashtar | E PG | | | 2* | 2* | | | 2 | mental clarity | | h2-Man-far-realm | 1.3 ? | | | | | | | | | | | h3-Man-fey | 1.5 Shadar-Kai | MM1 | | | 2* | 2* | 2 | | | Shadow Jaunt | | h4-Man-Shadow | 1.5 ? | | | | | | | | | | | h5-Man-Astral | 1.6 Genasi | FR PG | | 2* | 2 | | | 2* | | Build Choice | | h6-element-man | 1.6 Changeling | E PG | | | 2* | | 2* | | 2 | disguise | trick | h7-Man-? | 1.7 ? | | | | | | | | | | | half goblin | 2 Half-Elf | PH | | | | 2* | | 2 | 2* | Knack for Success | | half elf | 2 Half-Orcs | PH II | | 2* | | | 2 | 2* | | Furious Assault | | half orc | 2 Mul (Half-Dwarf) | DS CS | | 2* | | 2* | | 2 | | Incredible Toughness | | half dwarf | 2 Dragonborn | PH | | 2* | | | | 2* | 2 | Dragon Breath | | dragon-man | 2.1 Goliaths | PH II | | 2 | | | 2* | 2* | | Stones Endurance | | giant-man | 2.1 Devas | PH II | | | 2* | 2 | | | 2* | Memory of Thousand Lifetimes | | angel-man | 2.2 Tiefling | PH | | | 2* | | | 2* | 2 | Infernal Wrath | | devil-man | 2.2 Shifters | PH II | | 2* | | 2 | 2* | | | Build Choice | | beast-man | 2.3 Warforged | E PG | | 2* | 2* | | | 2 | | War resolve | | machine-man | 2.3 Shardmind | PH III | | | 2 | 2* | | | 2* | Shardswarm | | ore/earth-man | 2.4 Wilden | PH III | | | | 2 | 2* | 2* | | Build Choice | | plant-man | 2.4 Thri-Kreen | DS CS | | 2* | | 2* | 2 | | | Thri-Kreen Claws | | insect-man | 2.5 Revenant | HoS | | | | | 2 | 2* | 2* | Dark Reaping | | undead-man | 2.6 Shade | HoS | | | 2* | | 2* | | 2 | One with Shadow | | shade-man | 2.6 Vryloka | HoS | | 2* | | | 2* | | 2 | Lifeblood | | vampire-man | 2.6 Dwarf | PH | | 2* | | 2* | | 2 | | Stand… | | d1 - dwarf | 3 Duergar | MM2 | | | | 2 | | 2 | | Infernal Quills | | d2 - dwarf astral | 3.1 ? | | | | | | | | | | | d3 - dwarf fey | 3.2 ? | | | | | | | | | | | d5 - dwarf shadow | 3.3 ? | | | | | | | | | | | d4 - dwarf elemental | 3.4 Elf | PH | | | 2* | 2* | 2 | | | Elven Accuracy | | e2 - elf | 4 Eladrin | PH | | | 2 | | 2* | | 2* | Fey Step | | e1 - elf fey | 4.1 Drow | FR PG | | | | 2* | 2 | | 2* | Darkfire | Cloud of Darkness | e3 - elf shadow | 4.2 ? | | | | | | | | | | | e4 - elf astral | 4.3 ? | | | | | | | | | | | e5 - elf elemental | 4.4 Halfling | PH | | | | | 2 | 2* | 2* | Second Chance | | h1 - half | 5 Gnomes | PH II | | | 2 | | 2* | | 2* | Fade Away | | g1 - half fey? | 5.1 Dark Creeper | | | | | | | | | | | r1 - half shadow? | 5.3 Goblin | MM1 | | | | | 2 | | 2 | Goblin Tactics | | gob1 | 6 Hobgoblin | MM1 | | | | | | 2 | 2 | Hobgoblin Resiliance | | gob2 | 6.1 Bugbear | MM1 | | 2 | | | 2 | | | Predatory Eye | | gob3 | 6.2 Minotaur | PH III | | 2 | | 2* | | 2* | | Goring Charge | | | 7 Bladeling | MotP | | | | 2 | 2 | | | Razor Storm | | | 8 Githzerai | PH III | | | 2* | 2 | 2* | | | Iron Mind | | | 9 Githyanki | MM1 | | | 2 | | | 2 | | Telekinetic Leap | | | 9.1 Orc | MM1 | | 2 | | | | 2 | | war surge | | | 10 Gnoll | MM1 | | | | | 2 | 2 | | Furious Charge | | | 11 Kobold | MM1 | | | | | 2 | 2 | | Shifty | | | 12 Bullywug | MM2 | | | | | 2 | 2 | | Rancid Air | | | 13 Kenku | MM2 | | | | | 2 | | 2 | Flock effect | Mimicry | | 14
Last edited by BotWizo on Mon May 09, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Fri May 06, 2011 9:33 pm

Here is the easter egg in my campaigns.
All of my current campaigns run with these base world assumtions for force oppositions whether it is the kid campaign or the adult campaign.
It is not described to any players yet, it is something that will be a neat find if they start to figure it out.
I may have it discovered in a tome somewhere.

My campaign opposition table:
Campaign Background Type | Opposiing Force 1 | v | Opposiing Force 2 | Campaign Physics Description | 4E dmg types | campaign desc. sub type Moral | Good | v | Evil | Moral | - | Thermal | Heat | v | Cold | Solid - Liquid - Gas - Plasma | Fire, Ice, Force | energy & matter Photo | Light | v | Dark | Light | ? | energy Life | Life | v | Death | | Radiant, Necrotic | Energy (electrical) | + | v | - | Electrical | Lightning | energy | | | | | | Energy (sound) | | | | Sonic | Thunder | enegy Magnetism | N | v | S | | | Matter | Matter | v | Anti | | | Gravity | + | v | - | Mass | |

general 4e damage types that don't fit in the above table yet.
Psychic Acid Poison

Usable forces not yet in above table, but may be at later date:
Radiation X-Ray Force Velocity Acceleration

Some more explanation about the above table;
In my campaign which is in mystara, these are the "basic elements" for lack of a better term that affect magic (spells, items and creatures) and the natural world.
The periodic table in the RW is also present in the campaign, but it has not been created/discovered yet.

So what does this mean;
If you are adventuring in the Temple of elemental evil, a player may think the 4 basic elements would be fire, earth, air, water. Well in this campaign world the temple would actually be based on solid, liquid, gas, plasma. the magics used by the plasma group would be fire, and the magics used by the solid group would be ice/cold, so this may lead to some interesting playing and surprises during play.

This table is somewhat of a thought experiment by me, since it does not affect game play other than flavor. no monsters or spells or weapons are retyped as of this, but you may encounter different groupings of creatures/spells/items than you would normally using the regular 4E cosmology.
Other than flavor it does affect some vulnerabilities and resistances due to the way I set up the oppositions.

Please discuss this with me so that I may add or improve or change the above table for a better play experience for myself as a DM and that of the players.

The only other changes to mystara and 4E I am thinking of doing are;
lumping the Astral plane and Elemental chaos all in one alternate plane instead of two.
As well as making the Fey wild and the shadowrealm two diffierent planets in the same solar system as the world rather than alternate planes (i am not sure on this one)
The planet will not be hollow, but the hollow world will be another planet (this really changes nothing, except the elevator, but this may just become a gate that is far below the surface)
i will also choose whether there are half-* races or none.
There will be large cave systems, but not one large underdark under the surface world either, and some caves rather than being the underdark gate you to another planet. [this is to make 4E fit mystara]

The campaign is getting ready to jump off in 1 month so I would love discussion on the table above or some of the campaign flavor items so that I can think through my changes and be ready for players so they get the best play experience.
(looks like I am changing both mystara and 4E flavor)

The races from a post above will be placed in mystara, and renamed where appropriate, and where they didn't exist, races will be given a new background and place in the best fitting spot on mystara.

Thanks in advance for the comments and thoughts.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Fri May 20, 2011 5:53 pm

I updated the two class tables above to reflect the name changes to the classes wizards is doing.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Tue May 31, 2011 9:10 pm

In my campaigns whether kid or adult, here is the background table for dragons.
You can tell I am a fan of BECMI and 1E, as well as making up some of my own.
I am working on a much larger table for dragon types in 4e, 1e, and BECMI so I have a list of all dragons.
I will post that when I have it finished.

Information for how the table below is used.
in the BotWizo campaigns;
all dragons are equally powerful and likely to be encounted at all levels (at appropriate HD of course).
What I am doing in 4E is using the appropriate level stat block that I like, then changing damage types and certain powers to fit the dragon type rather than a red dragon or white is limited to the set 4e stat blocks.
I was following the classic chromatic are evil, and metallic are good tropes, but now I am doing away with that, and certain dragons or dragon families will be good and some will be evil etc.
(You could encounter an evil gold dragon.)
The "ruler" dragons are in limited quantity, and I may have to do away with this division if I am eliminating dragon kinds tied to alignment.

Players will encounter dragons from the Core and Extended categories and rulers rarely.
The other category is a hold over of dragons i have not found a place for in extended family yet.

This is just more posting some of my homework for the adult campaign, and some for fun organizing my DM notes that I have been using for years.
I am hoping to get some comments on some of the tables and thoughts that help me create a better play experience for players.

I am going to use this table to drive story elements and unexpected interactions for players.

here is the table;
________Type -> | Chromatic | Metallic | Gem | Breath Category | | | | ------------------------- | ----------------- | --------------- | -------------- | ------------- Ruler | Chromatic | Platinum | Diamond | Variable ------------------------- | ----------------- | --------------- | -------------- | ------------- Core | Red | Gold | Ruby | Fire | Blue | Silver | Sapphire | Electric | Yellow | Copper | Citrine | Thunder | Black | Lead | Onyx | Acid | White | Iron | Pearl | Cold ------------------------- | ----------------- | --------------- | -------------- | ------------- Extended | Green | Titanium | Emerald | Poison | Orange | Nickel | Amber | Force | Purple | Tungsten | Amethyst | Psychic | Gray | Aluminum | Tanzanite | Acid-2 ------------------------- | ----------------- | --------------- | -------------- | ------------- Other | Brown | Zinc | Garnet | ? | | Cobalt | | ? ------------------------- | ----------------- | --------------- | -------------- | -------------

Return to “D&D 4th Edition”