4th Edition Community Projects

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:54 pm

EDIT: If you see any other 4e community projects, please add a link to them to this thread and myself (or the local moderator) will move them into this post.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: 4th Edition Community Projects

Postby Dragonhelm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:02 am

Maybe someday I'll get to my Taladas project. *sigh*
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Big Mac » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:Maybe someday I'll get to my Taladas project. *sigh*

Personally, I think that a 3e Taladas project (that was designed to work with both the MWP product line and the Adlatum Campaign Setting) would be more useful to the DL community, as it would take us much closer to an edition of D&D that supports an entire "World of Krynn" environment.

But if a new Taladas project could be designed with the fluff being designed to work with both 3e stat-blocks and 4e stat-blocks, I think you could possibly get both 3e fans and 4e fans working on the thing together and it could be a win-win scenario for everyone, because there would be more people to get the thing going and no debate about which way to go with the rules.

The project could then consist of fluff + 3e crunch + 4e crunch and could be output as two finished netbooks (one with fluff+3e crunch and the other with fluff+4e crunch).

I think there may need to be some add-on crunchy chapters, dealing with stuff like feats for 3e and stuff like healing-surgees for 4e) but a 3e/4e collaboration could accelerate the process of building a new Taladas gazeteer.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dragonhelm » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:48 pm

You make some excellent points about a 3e Taladas project, Big Mac. I'll think about it.

I should probably explain what I had in mind. The core of Dragonlance is Ansalon, and the War of the Lance. This backdrop was designed around AD&D principles, and it shows. DL worked really well in 3e as well. However, the core of Dragonlance doesn't work quite as well with 4e. It's wholly doable, but there are hurdles to overcome.

Taladas, on the other hand, may be even better suited for 4e. And as I got to thinking about the second continent of Krynn, it occurs to me that maybe Taladas needs re-envisioning to make it more 4e-friendly and more DL-friendly. This would not be "your daddy's Taladas." This would be something new.

So I quickly found places for some of the races, some of which may not work on Ansalon, but would on Taladas. Tieflings are a natural fit for he nation of Thenol.

I also looked at new ways to envision High Sorcery, such as with the Witches of Taladas.

I have to admit, the 5e announcement has cut down my enthusiasm for 4e projects. I have also been looking at Pathfinder more lately too.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby rabindranath72 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:I have to admit, the 5e announcement has cut down my enthusiasm for 4e projects. I have also been looking at Pathfinder more lately too.

That's strange; for some reason, the 5e announcement prompted me to give 4e a try again, with a few houserules (mostly reducing the hps of critters.) I am running a Champions of Krynn campaign (based on the videogame) and it's a blast.

I totally agree Taladas would make for a cool 4e setting, what with Huldre elves (Eladrin), Tiefling (remnants of Aurim) and Dragonborn (botched draconians experiments.)
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Return to D&D 4th Edition