Heroes of XXX books

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Heroes of XXX books

Post by rabindranath72 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:16 am

So yesterday I was skimming through the two books at a game store. Very interesting, but IT SEEMS (I didn't do a detailed comparison) that 60% or more of the information is replicated between the two books. Is that a correct assessment? Since both books are sold at the same price, I think it's very uncool :?

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: Heroes of XXX books

Post by Dragonhelm » Sun May 15, 2011 3:40 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:So yesterday I was skimming through the two books at a game store. Very interesting, but IT SEEMS (I didn't do a detailed comparison) that 60% or more of the information is replicated between the two books. Is that a correct assessment? Since both books are sold at the same price, I think it's very uncool :?
I'm not sure what percentage is copied between the two, but yes, there is some duplication (i.e. humans).

That being said, I have to say that the Essentials line was a pleasant surprise for me. Both books are well worth getting.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:49 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:So yesterday I was skimming through the two books at a game store. Very interesting, but IT SEEMS (I didn't do a detailed comparison) that 60% or more of the information is replicated between the two books. Is that a correct assessment? Since both books are sold at the same price, I think it's very uncool :?
I'm not sure what percentage is copied between the two, but yes, there is some duplication (i.e. humans).

That being said, I have to say that the Essentials line was a pleasant surprise for me. Both books are well worth getting.
It's not the entry for humans which is troubling, the space they occupy is really limited; but all which does not pertain the races and classes seems to be duplicated stuff (e.g. backgrounds, gods, general rules etc.) What about the feats and magic items? I haven't had time to check.
Though I have sold my 4e books, I was thinking of picking up these manuals should I enter a game; but if I am spending full money to get half of a book in content, I think I will pass.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:40 am

So I took the time to check both books: about 45% of the contents is the same. Considering that players are supposed to also buy the Rules Compendium, I wonder why the common information hasn't been relegated to the other volume. They could have sold the two books at a much lower price, with roughly half the pages. :roll:

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:57 am

Actually there are some advantages to the overlap. Say you never plan on playing a Druid, Paladin, Ranger, or Warlock. You don't have to buy that book now. Ditto if you don't enjoy playing clerics, fighters, rogues, or wizards. The game actually becomes more functional by making it so that you don't have to buy a book you are not planning on using just for a few pages of content. On the other hand, if you want to play a drow wizard, you are screwed.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:01 pm

There is some level of replication between all the Essentials players books. However, this is somewhat useful in the (typical, in my groups) case where the DM is the only one who has the books.
And even if players want their own book, they only need the appropriate "Heroes" book for their class. Considering that the Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms classes and races are not so common -- the four basic classes and races are all in the other Heroes book -- it doesn't seem a bad bargain. The DM is the one who gets less from the Essentials books, as the DM's Book and Monster Vault are not on par with the DMG and MM, IMO.

G.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:15 pm

agathokles wrote:The DM is the one who gets less from the Essentials books, as the DM's Book and Monster Vault are not on par with the DMG and MM, IMO.

G.
Agreed. After my experience with the DM's Book, I did not even bother buying the Monster Vault. However, Threats of the Nentir Vale does seem promising.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:56 pm

dfryer36 wrote:
agathokles wrote:The DM is the one who gets less from the Essentials books, as the DM's Book and Monster Vault are not on par with the DMG and MM, IMO.

G.
Agreed. After my experience with the DM's Book, I did not even bother buying the Monster Vault. However, Threats of the Nentir Vale does seem promising.
Just got it, and it's fantastic!
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Return to “D&D 4th Edition”