Errata vs. Rewriting

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Errata vs. Rewriting

Post by rabindranath72 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:40 pm

So, after 2 years' absence (lack of players, then a baby coming, sold the books etc.) I am returning to 4e for a new campaign, Dark Sun, with a new group.
So, I went checking for errata and...OMG! It's a total mess. I recall I "patched" my three core books with obvious errata (e.g. the Skill Challenge debacle) but it seems they are completely rewriting parts of the books. It seems they are rewriting the old stuff with Essentials in mind. I avoided buying Essentials since on balance, it offers less stuff for an higher price (I bought a Collector's Edition of the core books at 34% discount on Amazon; can't beat that!)
And I have been reading about the rewriting of many monsters to change their damage, and how they "reworked the math" in general (with the "statistician's eye" I could object that the changes I have read about so far are practically meaningless when you take into account the extreme variability in the game.)
What about changing Magic Missile? IMO if there was a "problem" with the previous version was that it was at-will, not the fact that it was not auto-hit; here's one thing I am NOT going to change. If you play 4e, you play 4e.
Anyway.
I was wondering if anyone can really distinguish what is ERRATA from the REWRITING in the morass that are the update documents.

Cheers,
Antonio

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Errata vs. Rewriting

Post by agathokles » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:10 am

It seems the only way would be to stick to old errata files. Or use the old, offline character builder, which is not updated to the Essentials.

G.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: Errata vs. Rewriting

Post by rabindranath72 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:03 am

I guess you are right. It seems the first errata which does not report to Essentials modifications is the one of March 2010.

Return to “D&D 4th Edition”