Reverse Engineering Powers

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Reverse Engineering Powers

Postby Havard » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:42 pm

Would it be possible to reverse engineer 4E in such a way that it more closely resembles 3E? The main thing I am looking at is the powers system. Could one, instead of providing the list of different powers, simply make a universal table showing how much damage could be dealt by encounter/day/quest and similarly which ability needs to be rolled?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Reverse Engineering Powers

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:59 pm

I think the closest thing to what you want to do is in the DMG on page 42, where it lists the expected damage output for each level. In fact, it also compares that damage with the damage inflicted by a power at the same level.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby agathokles » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:07 pm

The Fighter subclasses in Essentials already use a similar strategy, where they have a single encounter "power", which is essentially a damage bonus to apply X times per encounter, with X depending on level, and "at will" powers reduced to tactical options (they could be presented just as that, avoiding the power format).

The problem is more for classes such as the Cleric, whose powers are more in the field of healing.

G.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:21 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:I think the closest thing to what you want to do is in the DMG on page 42, where it lists the expected damage output for each level. In fact, it also compares that damage with the damage inflicted by a power at the same level.

Thanks! This will save me alot of work.

agathokles wrote:The Fighter subclasses in Essentials already use a similar strategy, where they have a single encounter "power", which is essentially a damage bonus to apply X times per encounter, with X depending on level, and "at will" powers reduced to tactical options (they could be presented just as that, avoiding the power format).

I had a feeling Essentials might have done something like this.

The problem is more for classes such as the Cleric, whose powers are more in the field of healing.

Healing isn't so difficult. You could probably use a similar table, except in this case damage is reversed (ie healed).

But I dont mind powers for magic stuff, its mainly for combat i'd like to see it removed for a more old school feel within the 4E framework.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby agathokles » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Ok. That is more or less in place for the Martial classes in Essentials. Unfortunately, other classes that could have benefited from a partial modification in the same sense (such as the Cleric) were not changoed as much.
However, I'd expect changes on these lines to be furthered in whatever WotC is having Mearls & Cook work on.

G.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:35 pm

I have been trying to figure out if it would be possible to turn some of these 4e powers into Extraordinary Abilities that could work in a 3e Nentir Vale game.

Would the sources you mentioned work for that sort of thing?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby agathokles » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:40 pm

I think it would be a lot of work for little gain. There is so much 3e and more-or-less compatible material around that you'do be served better by just picking the appropriate book.

G
Last edited by agathokles on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Zeromaru X » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:58 pm

You should want to use the Essentials books, instead of homebrew that. As agathokles said, is too much work, and some of the Essentials subclasses were created in such way that they emulate 3.5 classes. It will save you a lot of work.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:09 am

Zeromaru X wrote:You should want to use the Essentials books, instead of homebrew that. As agathokles said, is too much work, and some of the Essentials subclasses were created in such way that they emulate 3.5 classes. It will save you a lot of work.

Thanks Zeromaru!

I would mostly be looking at 4th Edition (or Essentials) to give me things that 3rd Edition didn't give me.

I'm also wondering about how to create the sort of rules that would have been in a 3rd Edition Nentir Vale Campaign Setting hardback, that was similar to Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and other 3e campaign setting books. I wouldn't want to necessarily convert every rule to 3e, but there are some rules that help make the "Points of Light" concept feel different to other campaign settings and I would probably want to look at those.

Perhaps I should make a topic in the Nentir Vale forum instead. :)

EDIT: [3e] Nentir Vale Campaign Setting hypothetical hardback ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to D&D 4th Edition