D&D Fantasy Roleplaying Game vs. Heroes of the Fallen Lands

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

D&D Fantasy Roleplaying Game vs. Heroes of the Fallen Lands

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:04 am

I am curious what the differences between the two are. They came out relatively close to each other so what the former provide that the latter doesn't?
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: D&D Fantasy Roleplaying Game vs. Heroes of the Fallen La

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:43 am

The boxed set is essentially a cripple-ware product. It only provides rules for characters up to 2nd level, and good luck finding the rules to actually CREATE characters; these are actually dispersed in the "choose your path" introductory scenario, so you either replay that scenario every time you want to create a character, or you must read all the entries, take pen and paper and write the relevant bits of information somewhere else. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.
On the good side, there are quite a few tokens and a map. The DM information is scant, with only a few critters.
Most importantly: don't be fooled by the red box in thinking that the product offers the same level of depth and gaming stuff of the TRUE red box. They are light years apart. The original Red Box was a full product, you would still use it even when you bought the later ones. The new red box goes into the dump (apart from the tokens and map) when you buy any other Essentials products.

The other book is a sort of Player's Handbook, with options only for 4 classes and 5 races. It also provides some basics about the rule of the game, but to have them all you need the Rules Compendium and the DM's Kit.
Note that it's quite sub-par when compared to the original PHB, since it misses lots of stuff beside the races and classes: rituals, most magic items, part of the equipment lists, full character creation rules, most of the epic destinies and paragon paths.
I am not sure that the revised classes are an incentive enough to discard the original PHB. If you are looking for a streamlined playing experience, you will be disappointed since the game is essentially the same.

If you already have the PHB, save your money.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:49 am

I was pretty disappointed by the Red Box. Even the paper quality was poor. Does Heroes of the Fallen Lands include any sort of scenarios, setting information etc?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:58 pm

Havard wrote:I was pretty disappointed by the Red Box. Even the paper quality was poor. Does Heroes of the Fallen Lands include any sort of scenarios, setting information etc?

-Havard
Ah yes, I forgot the toilet paper on which it's printed :evil: Actually I use toilet paper which is better :twisted:

Just to give an idea how BAD is the boxed set, two players I recently got into playing had bought it and tried to play, without much success (that's how I got the see the set, after they gave it to me for a read.) In exchange I gave them by Mentzer Red Box. After reading it, they wanted to know where they could buy it :D Needless to say, these players are now Mentzer D&D junkies :lol:

HotFL does not include any scenarios; only some information about the gods and languages. They added some fluff to the racial description, but that's just a few lines more beyond the PHB.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:42 pm

I'm glad I avoided the Essential Line of stuff. I do have the new Red Box but more out of nosatglia than anything else.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:36 am

Bouv wrote:I'm glad I avoided the Essential Line of stuff. I do have the new Red Box but more out of nosatglia than anything else.
Essentials could have been an excellent product line. But as it stands, content-wise, you get only a fraction of the stuff (except maps and tokens) in PHB+DMG+MM at an higher price, since you need at least one "Heroes of" book, the DM's kit, the Monster's Vault and Rules Compendium. It's royal mess.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:14 pm

I find the Rules Compendium and the Essential classes (especially Mage, Thief, Slayer and Knight) quite better than the basic 4e material. The rest (tokens, maps, and in general the DM's stuff) is really unnecessary, IMO, so I only purchased HotFL, HotFK and the RC, mostly to have a 4e version playable without computer support.

However, I'm more interested in 5e at this point :twisted:

GP

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:29 pm

agathokles wrote: However, I'm more interested in 5e at this point :twisted:

GP
:lol: +1e10

Return to “D&D 4th Edition”