Item rarity list

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Item rarity list

Postby rabindranath72 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi all,
for my next campaign, I want to use the Item Rarity system of Essentials. I am not going to use the Essentials rules, though, but the original 4e rules.
I have downloaded the latest errata, and there are some updates about items, but I am pretty sure I saw on the main errata page last month or so a much longer list, which doesn't seem to be there anymore. Does anybody know whether there is a more extensive collection of item rarity information for the items in PHB1/2?

Thanks,
A.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: Item rarity list

Postby Bonetti » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:54 pm

I don't have a giant list, but I recall a rule of thumb from the article which rolled out the system. Pre-Essentials materials only have common and uncommon: if it is stat-only, it's common. If it has an ability, it's uncommon. There are no pre-Essentials rares.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:41 am

Bonetti wrote:There are no pre-Essentials rares.

In the various errata I collected, I have found that some items are explicitly mentioned as rares: Holy Avenger (25+), Vorpal Weapon (30), Gauntlets of Ogre Power (5), Ioun Stone of True Sight (28), Cloak of Invisibility (23+), Ring of Freedom of Movement (15), Ring of Invisibility (18), Ring of Protection (17), Ring of Regeneration (24), Flying Carpet (20), Mantle of the Seventh Wind (23+), Winged Boots (13).

What's not so clear is how to classify common and uncommon. For example, the Staff of Fiery Might does not offer a simple enhancement, yet it's considered common.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:13 pm

I'm sorry, it was not clear that I was summarizing the rule of thumb which existed at the time they rolled this out (which I posted to my group back then and adopted as a house rule), not anything which followed those initial states. My group did not track later developments because we did not switch to Essentials (and we've been on hiatus this past year, so even less tracking has gone on).

Article on Rarity, from which I derived the difference between uncommon and common.

Essentials introduction, specifically page 18, which classifies only uncommon/common.

At the time, there were no pre-Essentials rares, but the door was kept open to change them.

That has clearly changed since.
Last edited by Bonetti on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks I got those articles; it's still not really clear which actual criteria have been followed. There is more than one exception to those rules, so probably other decisions went into the classification.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Blacky the Blackball » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:42 am

I don't have any of the Essentials stuff, so what does "rarity" actually do in game terms?

I mean if DMs still decide what items a party finds, and if characters can still use a ritual to make any item they like out of raw essentia, where does rarity come into things?

What's the difference between a "common", "uncommon" and "rare" item?
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)
Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:40 am

Blacky the Blackball wrote:I don't have any of the Essentials stuff, so what does "rarity" actually do in game terms?

I mean if DMs still decide what items a party finds, and if characters can still use a ritual to make any item they like out of raw essentia, where does rarity come into things?

What's the difference between a "common", "uncommon" and "rare" item?

The rarity idea recognizes that some items are more powerful than their level suggests. So, for a given level X, the best items are rare, followed by uncommon, followed by common. So in the list above, Gauntlets of Ogre Power are among the best 5th level items. In game terms, under normal circumstances, PCs can only create common items using the Enchant an Item ritual. Uncommon and rare items are created with lost magical knowledge. This effectively puts a limit on what the players might create (assuming the DM gives them free reign on what to create.) This brings back more control in the hands of the DM than what the rules assume.
Item rarity also has an impact on the price. A rare item can be sold for 100% of the price, uncommon items for 50% and common items for 20% (same goes for the residuum produced by disenchanting the items.)
There is also a different distribution of items. 5% of all the items given to PCs should be rare, 45% should be uncommon and 50% should be common. In practice this translates into at most 1 rare item per PC per tier.
With these rules in place, the rule about one daily power per tier per item are removed.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:39 am

Would these rules work outside of 4th Edition? I
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby BotWizo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:11 pm

Big Mac wrote:Would these rules work outside of 4th Edition? I

Yes,

And they were always in place by DMs before, it was just codified in 4e.

There are many items that DMs should set the rarity for a campaign.
In some editions you didn't have to actively manage rarity, you could just roll on tables and percentages would manage rarity.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Return to D&D 4th Edition