How Weird is Gamma World?

A wacky, wily game of postapocalyptic peril.

How Weird is Gamma World?

Postby Havard » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:21 pm

I don't have much experience with Gamma World. Is this a good setting if you want to run Mad Max style post apocalyptic games, or is it a bit more extreme that than? I don't mind adding mutants, psionics and stuff like that, but when I heard that you can play mutated plants I was wondering if maybe Gamma World is like Mad Max times 50?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: How Weird is Gamma World?

Postby BlackBat242 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:01 am

GW 1E did not have mutated plants as PCs - that came in with 2E, but they were not that playable (the only one I had direct knowledge of was the mutated Spanish Moss a friend played - its main ability was to drape itself over the shoulders of an animal/mutated human/pure-strain-human, dig a root into the spinal chord, and thus take control of that being to provide most of its mobility, usefulness, etc).

I never did anything with later editions, so I don't know how they did things.

As an aside, the first 2 editions had mutations as pretty well fixed after chargen - under very specific and rare circumstances you could gain another mutation, but there was none of that "random changes in mutations as a normal and frequent thing" that I have read infests certain later editions.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby dulsi » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:38 pm

Later edition not editions. Only 7th edition had "random changes in mutations as a normal and frequent thing".

GW 1-4 & 6 are largely the same. You have pure humans, mutant humans, mutant animals, and sometimes mutant plants. They have some weird elements to the setting and the mutations. To some degree you need to give the pure humans advanced tech to even out them with the mutants. Because of that I probably wouldn't use it to run a Mad Max game but you could. I'd probably use GW6 (d20 modern version) and maybe limit mutations.

GW 5 uses alternity and tones down the power of mutations. This is probably the closer to Mad Max tone.

I wouldn't play GW7 except as a one shot for fun. The system just isn't to my liking. I don't think you can play a Mad Max type game in it without modifying the system.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Bouv » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:10 pm

I haven't read much but the 7th Edition has people in the Far-Go region worshiping "The Farve".
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby BlackBat242 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:08 am

Do they have the area around Oldur & Enver populated by "Followers of the El-Way"?
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby genghisdon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:43 pm

Havard wrote:I don't have much experience with Gamma World. Is this a good setting if you want to run Mad Max style post apocalyptic games, or is it a bit more extreme that than? I don't mind adding mutants, psionics and stuff like that, but when I heard that you can play mutated plants I was wondering if maybe Gamma World is like Mad Max times 50?

-Havard

it is pretty damned weird (& silly) by default, but it is easy enough to make your own/to suit.
genghisdon
Gnoll

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:47 pm

genghisdon wrote:it is pretty damned weird (& silly) by default, but it is easy enough to make your own/to suit.

That is fair. :)

Right now I think my ideal version of a post apocalyptic setting is somewhere between Mad Max: Fury Road and the Fallout Games.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dread Delgath » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:12 am

Get "Car Wars", a cheap little game by Steve Jackson Games for Mad Max style vehicular murder hoboing.

Gamma World is based on Metamorphosis Alpha, and may best be described as watching Ralph Bakshi's "Wizards" the original "Heavy Metal", "Thundarr the Barbarian", "Jonny Quest" and "The Herculoids".

Games that are similar to Gamma World, but not really related: "TMNT and Other Strangness", "After the Bomb", and "Mutants in Orbit", all by Palladium/Rifts, and they all based on, or use the basics of those rules; and TSR's flop "Gammarauders" boradgame.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby The Dark » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:48 am

For a Mad Max setting, I would look at either Twilight: 2000 or Twilight: 2013 (both out of print; T2K was by Game Designers' Workshop, T2K13 by 93 Games Studio), or Deadlands: Hell on Earth or Hell on Earth Reloaded (from Pinnacle; HoE is out of print, HoER is current).

The Twilight games are pure post-apocalypse. T2K was originally published in 1984 (and updated in 1990 and 1993), and was a straight look at survival in a post-nuclear situation. 2013 was a licensed remake (with a laughably improbable set-up that's best ignored). GDW focused mostly on military equipment, but there's a very well done fan site that has all sorts of other items to use.

The Hell on Earth games are science fiction horror, essentially the post-apocalypse of the Deadlands setting. I haven't seen Reloaded, but the original Hell on Earth had a sourcebook, Road Warriors, that would be perfect for a Mad Max game. It centers around modifying civilian vehicles for combat. It would be easy enough to ignore/drop the horror elements and play it straight.

Gamma World I would be more inclined to use for a humorous/light-hearted post-apocalyptic game, more like the lighter side of the Fallout games. It's the lightest (in tone) of the post-apocalyptic games I'm aware of.
The Dark
Troll

Postby Hunter_Maddox » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:30 am

@Havard

If you want more of a Mad Max style game but still in the D&D style, there is a free OSR based game called Ruinations http://ruinations-rpg.tumblr.com/. There is also another non-D&D based game that includes vehicles called Wreck Age check out http://www.wreck-age.net.
Hunter_Maddox
Orc

Postby ghendar » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Havard wrote:
genghisdon wrote:it is pretty damned weird (& silly) by default, but it is easy enough to make your own/to suit.

Right now I think my ideal version of a post apocalyptic setting is somewhere between Mad Max: Fury Road and the Fallout Games.

-Havard

Fallout would be a given for me but in addition to that I prefer to go in another direction and add in some Thundarr The Barbarian. Mutants, Magic, Firearms, and Radiation. A little Kamandi The Last Boy On Earth as well for some good old fashioned Kirby inspiration.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby Dread Delgath » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:26 pm

ghendar wrote:
Havard wrote:

-Havard

Fallout would be a given for me but in addition to that I prefer to go in another direction and add in some Thundarr The Barbarian. Mutants, Magic, Firearms, and Radiation. A little Kamandi The Last Boy On Earth as well for some good old fashioned Kirby inspiration.

There used to be a website dedicated to BJ Johnson's Weird West Gamma World game. He had some truly unique (for its time) stuff that added a lot of what you and I like, Ghendar. :cool:

I believe Johnson has put it all into a publishable format now, either PDF or deadtree or both, and is available on DriveThruRPGNow site(s).
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Postby Yaztromo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:28 am

I would consider very well a crossover between Gamma World and Numenera... ;)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby ghendar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:30 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
ghendar wrote:
Havard wrote:

-Havard

There used to be a website dedicated to BJ Johnson's Weird West Gamma World game. He had some truly unique (for its time) stuff that added a lot of what you and I like, Ghendar. :cool:

I believe Johnson has put it all into a publishable format now, either PDF or deadtree or both, and is available on DriveThruRPGNow site(s).

Is it this one?
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/214 ... 27_44499_0

ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby Dread Delgath » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:16 pm

ghendar wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:
ghendar wrote:
Havard wrote:

-Havard

Is it this one?
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/214 ... 27_44499_0

That is the very one! :mrgreen: Sorry I couldn't recall the actual name, or provide a link earlier. :oops:

When there was a website, I borrowed all I could for my own GW game, and wound up not using any of it. I haven't played, or even looked at any of my GW stuff for a few years now, but I'd love to play in something like this.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Postby ghendar » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:53 pm

It sounds really cool and the book/PDF bundle is reasonable in price. hmmmmmm

ghendar
Hill Giant

Return to Gamma World