Endless Quest: The 24 Hour War

A wacky, wily game of postapocalyptic peril.

Endless Quest: The 24 Hour War

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:00 am

Just came across the Gamma World: The 24 Hour War Endless Quest book.

Pulling up an article on Wikipedia regarding the Endless Quest books, I notice that it is from Series 2 and that there is also another Series 2 book, American Knights, and two Series 1 books for GW, Light on Quests Mountain & Mystery of the Ancients.

Very cool. :cool: May have to pick these up.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Endless Quest: The 24 Hour War

Postby dulsi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:52 am

I've managed to find them all. Despite liking the choose-your-adventure books back in the day, I don't care for them now. I started reading American Knight but put it down for the Aboleth Forgotten Realms series. I intend to get back to it at some point.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:43 pm

dulsi wrote:I've managed to find them all. Despite liking the choose-your-adventure books back in the day, I don't care for them now. I started reading American Knight but put it down for the Aboleth Forgotten Realms series. I intend to get back to it at some point.

I find Endless Quest books a lot harder to read casually than a normal novel, as loosing your place in an Endless Quest book is a bit of a disaster, but if I'm not disturbed, I think they are pretty good. I also think that some of them could be raided ideas to use in tabletop RPG games.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Aahz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Lights on Quest Mountain was my favorite...

Kerry
Aahz
Orc

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:32 pm

I only ever remember reading Light on Quest's Mountain, which I rather enjoyed. My recollection is that the earliest of the Endless Quest books were the best, with the quality deteriorating as the line continued (though it's been admittedly a long time since I read any of them, though I've been thinking of picking them up again somewhere.)

Ironically, it also seems to me that Rose Estes did a much better job with the Endless Quest series than with the Greyhawk novels, which were pretty horrendous.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:29 am

I found The 24-Hour War at a used book sale last weekend. It has a light, humorous tone that can be charming at times but feels like it's trying too hard at others.

In this book, you play Jason Montgomery, an ordinary high school student who gets accidentally frozen in 1995 (like Fry in Futurama) and thawed out 400 years later in the era of Gamma World.

As the last remaining person alive from the period when the United States existed, you are now technically President of the United States and as such you've inherited a suit of sentient power armor named Hobart.

Here's how the setting is described:

While the radiation has finally left Post Nuke America, making the air and water prehistorically clean, there are also countless human and animal mutants, caveman dentists, knights on horseback, haunted ruins, seedless watermelons so large they need their own zip code, flying mice, dinosaurs, Cannibal Biker Librarians, Cyborg Pirates, the Gene Police, musical love flowers, animated shopping malls, gasoline-drinking vampires, Worms!, time bubbles, the indescribable menace of the (shiver) Nyuck-Nyuck-Nyucks, hidden cities made of shimmering silver, a lost colony on the shattered moon, and Texas gladiators.

I have to admit, I like the idea of Worms! so terrifying they need a capital letter and an exclamation point.
Last edited by ripvanwormer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:05 am

ripvanwormer wrote:I have to admit, I like the idea of Worms! so terrifying they need a capital letter and an exclamation point.
Probably mutated so much from their based genetic stock that they are like the Gamma World equivalent of Graboids from Tremors.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby ghendar » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:05 pm

dulsi wrote:I've managed to find them all. Despite liking the choose-your-adventure books back in the day, I don't care for them now. I started reading American Knight but put it down for the Aboleth Forgotten Realms series. I intend to get back to it at some point.

Those books helped me get into D&D back in the early 80s. I only bought series one books and still have them all.

Big Mac wrote:
I find Endless Quest books a lot harder to read casually than a normal novel, as loosing your place in an Endless Quest book is a bit of a disaster, but if I'm not disturbed, I think they are pretty good. I also think that some of them could be raided ideas to use in tabletop RPG games.

I have often thought about going through them for ideas. I think I tried to map one of them out about 25+ years ago. Probably Dungeon of Dread or Mountain of Mirrors
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby willpell » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:09 pm

dulsi wrote:I've managed to find them all. Despite liking the choose-your-adventure books back in the day, I don't care for them now.

I have the opposite problem. One particular CYOA book destroyed my previous childhood fondness for it at a formative age, but I only ever discovered Endless Quests about a year ago, and now that I'm a fully-fledged roleplaying gamer, this version of the format really works for me.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:42 am

willpell wrote:I only ever discovered Endless Quests about a year ago, and now that I'm a fully-fledged roleplaying gamer, this version of the format really works for me.

I'd heard of Endless Quest, but I only bought my first Endless Quest book, after finding out from someone at The Piazza, that they had one set in the Spelljammer universe.

I've bought a couple more since then. But they are harder to read (at least for me) so I've not read them yet.

I don't have The 24 Hour War. I'm not sure I'll buy this one. I might, but I don't want to deprive a Gamma World fan of the ability to buy a book that I'm less likely to get excited about.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Gamma World