Setting changes between editions?

A wacky, wily game of postapocalyptic peril.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Setting changes between editions?

Post by Havard » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:48 pm

I read in a review of a sourcebook for the d20 edition, that 1st Ed Gamma World was very different than the later iterations. What changes have been made to the setting through the editions?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Re: Setting changes between editions?

Post by dulsi » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:44 pm

I believe 1st through 4th edition are large consistent. There was a new world war that devastated the planet. The radiation mutated the creatures. 5th (Alternity version) changed it to have an alien invasion.The last adventure in the book has a particular change that annoyed fans. I didn't like the "twist" they had in the adventure but the bigger problem was the lack of build up. It would be easy to miss that particular piece of information and even if you found it, it wasn't the point of the adventures or provide any obvious direction for future adventures. 6th edition under Sword & Sorcery Studios label returned somewhat to the original setting. Genetic Engineering now replaces radiation as causing the mass mutations. Some genetic engineering occurred before the war. For example in Midnight in the Mystery Garden, it says minotaurs were created before the war. 7th edition decided to go with humor. Instead of war causing the problem, they had it caused by turning on the Large Hydrogen Collider. They had war break out and nukes fly but again humor was the driving goal so the French sent all their nukes at Peshtigo, Wisconsin.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Re: Setting changes between editions?

Post by Bouv » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:37 pm

dulsi wrote:I believe 1st through 4th edition are large consistent. There was a new world war that devastated the planet. The radiation mutated the creatures. 5th (Alternity version) changed it to have an alien invasion.The last adventure in the book has a particular change that annoyed fans. I didn't like the "twist" they had in the adventure but the bigger problem was the lack of build up. It would be easy to miss that particular piece of information and even if you found it, it wasn't the point of the adventures or provide any obvious direction for future adventures. 6th edition under Sword & Sorcery Studios label returned somewhat to the original setting. Genetic Engineering now replaces radiation as causing the mass mutations. Some genetic engineering occurred before the war. For example in Midnight in the Mystery Garden, it says minotaurs were created before the war. 7th edition decided to go with humor. Instead of war causing the problem, they had it caused by turning on the Large Hydrogen Collider. They had war break out and nukes fly but again humor was the driving goal so the French sent all their nukes at Peshtigo, Wisconsin.
Doesn't 7th also do more with multiversal aspects as well? And, of course, the worshiping of the Fahrve in Far-Go.

Return to “Gamma World”