How well do the 3.5 Gamma World rules work?

A wacky, wily game of postapocalyptic peril.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

How well do the 3.5 Gamma World rules work?

Post by Big Mac »

Over in the Gamma World Player's Handbook (d20) on DNDClassics! topic, Dragonhelm mentioned that the Gamma World Player's Handbook includes rules for 3.5 Dungeons & Dragons.

How much compatibility does this book, and the rest of that edition of Gamma World have with the standard D&D rules?

Could someone used to running fantasy games run Gamma World as a slightly unusual fantasy world using this book (and maybe others)?

Is there much material in this book that could be raided and used in a conventional fantasy campaign?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: How well do the 3.5 Gamma World rules work?

Post by Knightfall »

Hmm, I figure out where my copy is and let you know. It's stored away somewhere. Give me a couple of days.

EDIT: It's likely going to take longer to get back to you. I'm not sure where my books are at and I haven't felt like digging for them.
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi »

How did I not reply to this long ago? This Gamma World edition is based on d20 modern not D&D 3.5. Although they do have suggestions for using it with 3.5 in one of the books. I found the initial release of this edition disappointing. They didn't have enough mutations. Over time they greatly improved that. Every monster in the monster book which is intelligent is given a level adjustment which is awesome.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

dulsi wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:32 pm
How did I not reply to this long ago? This Gamma World edition is based on d20 modern not D&D 3.5.
That actually makes more sense.

I think it would be easier to add in rules for ray guns and stuff that way.

Is it possible to roll up characters for Gamma World along with the Modern SRD? (One of my favourite parts of 3rd Edition was that when I visited my friends and didn't have D&D books with me, and they suggested we play D&D, I could use the (fantasy) SRD to knock up a PC.) If everyone has to crowd around one book, things drag a bit.
dulsi wrote:
Although they do have suggestions for using it with 3.5 in one of the books.
Was that about importing D&D monsters into the d20 Modern ruleset?

Or was it about allowing D&D users to run games with Gamma World as a campaign setting?
dulsi wrote:
I found the initial release of this edition disappointing. They didn't have enough mutations. Over time they greatly improved that.
Are the mutations spread over multiple books?

Would it be worth someone making an index of mutations and where to find them?
dulsi wrote:
Every monster in the monster book which is intelligent is given a level adjustment which is awesome.
Nice.

Were there any playable monsters in earlier editions of Gamma World or was that a new thing?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi »

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:37 am
Is it possible to roll up characters for Gamma World along with the Modern SRD?
Certainly,
Big Mac wrote:

Or was it about allowing D&D users to run games with Gamma World as a campaign setting?
No. This was about using D&D 3.5 rules instead of the d20 modern rules. They had different classes instead of Strong Hero, etc.
Big Mac wrote:
Are the mutations spread over multiple books?

Would it be worth someone making an index of mutations and where to find them?
Mutations are in every book. Yeah an index of mutations would probably be useful.
Big Mac wrote:
Were there any playable monsters in earlier editions of Gamma World or was that a new thing?
Not officially, You could recreate most creatures with mutations. In 3rd edition, a dragon magazine article included some monsters for random character generation.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

dulsi wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:02 pm
Big Mac wrote:

No. This was about using D&D 3.5 rules instead of the d20 modern rules. They had different classes instead of Strong Hero, etc.
I think I might prefer that. I never liked the names of classes in d20 Modern.

pawsplay
Hill Giant

Post by pawsplay »

Starting with third edition, you could play a member of a monster race, though you might have different individual mutations.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath »

Well, here's an old thread! I actually thought this was about the 1983 Gamma World 3rd edition, but the 3.5 made me scrunch up my nose in confusion.

Yes, the Gamma World 6th edition written by Bruce Baugh is based on d20 Modern, but is compatible with D&D 3.5 rules.

I was able to use these rules for a lot of things in my Gamma World 4e (1992) game, but I was disappointed that the publisher wanted this released BEFORE the release of d20 Future. I felt that Gamma World would have benefited immensely more than it did, had the publisher (Sword & Sorcery) waited. Gamma World wasn't going anywhere. They could have waited. :|
“Did I do anything wrong today, or has the world always been like this and I've been too wrapped up in myself to notice?”

FaerieGodfather
Shroompunk Warlord

Post by FaerieGodfather »

You can get a pretty serviceable Gamma World game by combining the d20 Modern, d20 Future, and d20 Apocalypse books, as long as you're not attached to having any real variety in Mutated Animal (or Plant) types. If you want Bonapartists, pick up Savage Species for 3.0.

Can't really say the same thing for Gamma World d20. It's neither pretty, nor serviceable, nor Gamma World on any meaningful level.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath »

FaerieGodfather wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:31 pm
Can't really say the same thing for Gamma World d20. It's neither pretty, nor serviceable, nor Gamma World on any meaningful level.
:lol: I cannot disagree with you on that at all! I prefer GW 1e & 2e, and have ran 4e for many years, but could never get past the 'sanitized' feel of GWd20.
“Did I do anything wrong today, or has the world always been like this and I've been too wrapped up in myself to notice?”

genghisdon
Ogre

Post by genghisdon »

FaerieGodfather wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:31 pm
You can get a pretty serviceable Gamma World game by combining the d20 Modern, d20 Future, and d20 Apocalypse books, as long as you're not attached to having any real variety in Mutated Animal (or Plant) types. If you want Bonapartists, pick up Savage Species for 3.0.

I disagree, inso much as it combines with modern, future & apocalypse well.

It's got issues, sure, but it also, for a change, has a different direction for GW (not based on cartoonist style play as default), and frankly, a MUCH needed update to the science fiction part of the game. I've got lots of soft spots for earlier GW (& zero love for the WOTC version akin to 4e D&D), but the worst i can say for d20/6e GW(?) is that indeed, it's not pretty, but it's got serviceable parts.

The robots, androids/ & AI's are miles ahead/better than prior (or later as far as I can tell) editions. The nanotech is a huge change; and not likely always a welcome one (the setting does become a very different place), but it's interesting, and frankly, makes a setting that makes more sense (& is a potential "magic" system)

Downsides abound too, though, but future & apocalypse fill in some holes easily enough

FaerieGodfather
Shroompunk Warlord

Post by FaerieGodfather »

genghisdon wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:18 am
I disagree, inso much as it combines with modern, future & apocalypse well.
I would vehemently dispute that it does any such thing. The entire thing feels like rules that were written for some other rules system and then introduced into d20 with the least effort possible-- they don't work within the class and level structure of d20 Modern, they don't do anything with previously-existing Gamma World material, and they just plain don't work.

I don't want to crap on your fun if you're enjoying Sixth Edition, but if someone asked me how to get an authentic Gamma World experience, I would tell them literally any other version before they'd consider it-- even WotC's own crack at it was... less completely wrong.

genghisdon
Ogre

Post by genghisdon »

"authentic Gamma World experience" throws me. No, it's not so GONZO!, and thus I'd agree. Lots of folks want more Fallout than GW, though. It's NOT the GW of 1e, or 2e, that's for sure.

I already had several editions of GW, i didn't need the same stuff yet again.

I do not really know what 6e is officially, but what I'm talking about follows the strong, fast, tough, smart, etc, classes of d20 Modern exactly. Sure stuff gets added or tweaked, but we must be talking about different things.

indeed, it doesn't work with older GW, but neither does d20 modern, not in any way. If we are talking about the same thing, then it is very much d20 modern based, to which some will like, and others not.

For those where GONZO! is priority 1, then they probably ought check out the WOTC version. It takes the GONZO! to 11. The reason for apocalypse wasn't war, but hey, to each their own. I heard it was lots of fun from folks.

I prefer 2e (or 1e or mutant future) or else a d20 modern/apocalypse/future/S&S:arthaus (6e?) mash up...or heck, if in the right mood: after the bomb(TMNT)

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon »

There's at least two editions of Gamma World made under WotC. I'm not sure of edition numbers, but one of them was made under Alternity rules, the other one has WotC, Arthaus, and Sword & Sorcery tagged in its credits page, and is essentially modelled after d20 Modern rules.

Seeing as how I never really played older editions of GW, I can't really comment on whether they are "authentic" to the original setting.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

genghisdon
Ogre

Post by genghisdon »

actually, yes/no
in order of publication
Alternity/GW, yes
Arthaus, and Sword & Sorcery GW is OGL d20; WOTC gets it's stamp on all such products but OGL is not their work
the second WOTC GW is akin to 4e D&D and came afterward

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_World

anyway, it seems the accepted numerology is
alternity 5e
SSS is 6e (so the folks above are correct, if not about the d20 modern linkage)
and the 7e one is the 4e D&D style one I've referenced

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Post by Princess Strega »

Ashtagon wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:02 pm
There's at least two editions of Gamma World made under WotC. I'm not sure of edition numbers, but one of them was made under Alternity rules, the other one has WotC, Arthaus, and Sword & Sorcery tagged in its credits page, and is essentially modelled after d20 Modern rules.
And if I am not mistaken there is also a version that uses the D&D 4E engine.

genghisdon
Ogre

Post by genghisdon »

7e...see post prior

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

I never played any edition of GW past 4th, though I definitely have looked through all of the various rules sets. I recall being somewhat disappointed in the different 3.5 versions (both the WotC and S&S editions). I think what I didn't like was that they fell into the 3rd edition trap of "balancing all the things equally" which really takes a lot of oomph! out of the mutation system. When everything is equally good/bad, then nothing really stands out, and to me one of the fun things about early editions of GW was the randomness involved in the process of character generation, and the wildly disparate types of abilities characters got.

Plus, to be honest, I always kind of preferred the "classless" system of GW, where level gains had only an incremental impact on character abilities, because it really lent much more emphasis on the storytelling aspect. I think you could probably say the same about earlier editions of D&D as well, but it was to me much more pronounced in GW which was (at least up to 4E) class free.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

genghisdon
Ogre

Post by genghisdon »

Oh, the mutations were indeed weak sauce, comparatively (d20 apocalypse or S&S's GW)

Much to like with 2e (or 1e) classless, etc. I just expect the ones based on the d20 system to be entirely different, and they are (& have to be).

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath »

GW4e was the last edition I ran, mainly because that was the last edition that had an actual adventure released for that edition!

Not that that was necessary to play any given ruleset, it definitely encouraged me to give the system a roadtest.

Perhaps 7e (D&D4e) had an adventure, but I think it was included in the boxed set.

Return to “Gamma World”