Warlords of the Apocalypse

A wacky, wily game of postapocalyptic peril.
dulsi
Storm Giant

Warlords of the Apocalypse

Post by dulsi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Just saw a note about this on the Metamorphosis Alpha board. Adamant Entertainment is doing Warlords of the Apocalypse for Pathfinder. Not sure if it requires Pathfinder (or the PFSRD anyway) or if it includes complete standalone rules. They apparently want to capitalize of the dislike of the new Gamma World.
Plus, best of all: No card-gaming element added!
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Warlords of the Apocalypse

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:22 pm

dulsi wrote:They apparently want to capitalize of the dislike of the new Gamma World.
I've never been a fan of "negative advertising" techniques. :roll:

But, that said, I think that it is good that this has been built to be compatible with Pathfinder, as that is going to provide an engine that fans of both GW and Pathfinder can use to convert old or new stuff to Pathfinder rules.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:52 am

Veddy veddy interesting.

From what I've seen of the new Gamma World, I'm torn. On the one hand, I do think the 4E system actually kind of works for GW (better than it does for D&D), and even the trading card feature seems kind of cool. On the other hand, I dislike the "random/rotating mutation" effect that they brought in with the cards, and I strongly dislike any "Goofy, quirky" Gamma World. I prefer mine to be serious, Road-Warrior-esque Post-Apocalyptic GW.

Will keep my eyes on this one.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:08 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:Veddy veddy interesting.

From what I've seen of the new Gamma World, I'm torn. On the one hand, I do think the 4E system actually kind of works for GW (better than it does for D&D), and even the trading card feature seems kind of cool. On the other hand, I dislike the "random/rotating mutation" effect that they brought in with the cards, and I strongly dislike any "Goofy, quirky" Gamma World. I prefer mine to be serious, Road-Warrior-esque Post-Apocalyptic GW.

Will keep my eyes on this one.
I won't tell anyone if you don't use the rules as written if you don't tell anyone that I don't plan on using the rules as written. :x

Have you seen the "unboxing" video? Thanks to Kerry Jordan for posting this on the Gamma World Yahoo Group. (He is known as Aahz here at the P.)

From all I've heard of GW, and seen of D&D4e so far, there is nothing to indicate that you have to "rotate" the powers, unless you consider the "daily" & "encounter" powers to rotate, and in a way, I guess they do. I still don't know enough about 4e to know fershure, but I already know how I want to run it. :twisted:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:55 am

I saw the video, and for the most part thought it looked good. Maybe I misunderstood about how the powers work, but from what I gathered, it looked like you would pick cards from the deck and get new mutations randomly, which seemed odd to me.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:27 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:I saw the video, and for the most part thought it looked good. Maybe I misunderstood about how the powers work, but from what I gathered, it looked like you would pick cards from the deck and get new mutations randomly, which seemed odd to me.
That's an odd thing to do to mutations. Mutants either HAVE a particular mutation or they don't. They ain't at all like spells that you switch in & out of your memory (Vancian system) or cast via spell points.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:30 am

Dread Delgath wrote:That's an odd thing to do to mutations. Mutants either HAVE a particular mutation or they don't. They ain't at all like spells that you switch in & out of your memory (Vancian system) or cast via spell points.
Yeah, I totally agree. Again, though, I may have misinterpreted what was going on in the video, so I can't say with 100% accuracy that's how it works.

If so, though, strange.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:42 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:That's an odd thing to do to mutations. Mutants either HAVE a particular mutation or they don't. They ain't at all like spells that you switch in & out of your memory (Vancian system) or cast via spell points.
From what I understand characters have two stable mutations (which I think are multiple powers) and one unstable mutation (one encounter power I think). You get a new unstable mutation after each extended rest and some other circumstances (like when you are critically hit). It doesn't correspond to any old GW edition. It seem to be something they added to make the system funnier. I'd rather play a more serious game so I'd probably change that if I get it.
Cthulhudrew wrote:From what I've seen of the new Gamma World, I'm torn. On the one hand, I do think the 4E system actually kind of works for GW (better than it does for D&D), and even the trading card feature seems kind of cool. On the other hand, I dislike the "random/rotating mutation" effect that they brought in with the cards, and I strongly dislike any "Goofy, quirky" Gamma World. I prefer mine to be serious, Road-Warrior-esque Post-Apocalyptic GW.
That's pretty much my opinion. The only difference is I don't like the random cards with rarity since it make it impossible to simply buy all the GW products. I don't mind if they have the random cards as long as they sold a complete set as well. (Personally I don't think you need the random cards with rarity as Munchkin has shown.) I was hopeful for the D&D 4E compatible Metamorphosis Alpha but the developers haven't said anything since the initial announcement.
ImageImage

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:15 pm

I decided to see if this was out yet for the GM Day Sale. Looks like the product is still in the coming soon category with many people thinking it is never coming.

In this thread Craig_in_ACT posted "Late March-Early April according to Adamant's FaceBook page" on Feb 20, 2012.
ImageImage

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:49 am

Thread Resurrection card played! ;)

Now that GW for D&D4e has been out for almost 2 years now, I wonder if I could find a good bargain on the game, supplements & a complete set of cards? :lol:

Yes, I'm serious. I still want to get this game! :|

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:01 am

Dread Delgath wrote:Thread Resurrection card played! ;)

Now that GW for D&D4e has been out for almost 2 years now, I wonder if I could find a good bargain on the game, supplements & a complete set of cards? :lol:

I wouldn't count on it coming out as Corsair, originally a d20 product, was to be Pathfinder-ized but got cancelled. GM Skarka was in charge of that.

He said sales had taken a serious nosedive for Adamant. So try not to put too much faith in this book.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:08 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:

I wouldn't count on it coming out as Corsair, originally a d20 product, was to be Pathfinder-ized but got cancelled. GM Skarka was in charge of that.

He said sales had taken a serious nosedive for Adamant. So try not to put too much faith in this book.
Oh, I have no interest in anything Pathfinder, and I specifically stated "GW for D&D4e" etcetera. :mrgreen:

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:09 am

Big Mac wrote:
dulsi wrote:They apparently want to capitalize of the dislike of the new Gamma World.
I've never been a fan of "negative advertising" techniques. :roll:
I'm right there with ya. You can't build a foundation by trying to take down someone else's. In fact, it's enough of a turn-off that I may not get it. And who knows, there might have been something that would work in a GW game.

It's been a while since I got to play GW, but I really like the card element. I'm not a card guy by any means, yet it works in this case. I wish I could play some more GW.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:42 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:

Oh, I have no interest in anything Pathfinder, and I specifically stated "GW for D&D4e" etcetera. :mrgreen:
Sorry, I thought you meant Warlords of the Apocalypse.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 am

Actually, I should be the one to apologize, especially after all the comments about negative publicity. I do not hide that I do not care for Pathfinder, but I joined the conversation because Gamma World (albeit the D&D4e version) was mentioned.

I hadn't intended on jacking the thread. :oops:

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:49 am

Dread Delgath wrote:Actually, I should be the one to apologize, especially after all the comments about negative publicity. I do not hide that I do not care for Pathfinder, but I joined the conversation because Gamma World (albeit the D&D4e version) was mentioned.

I hadn't intended on jacking the thread. :oops:
No harm done. :)

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:57 am

Super Genius Games acquired Warlords of the Apocalypse
SUPER GENIUS GAMES ACQUIRES 'WARLORDS OF THE APOCALYPSE' FROM ADAMANT ENTERTAINMENT

December18, 2012

Super Genius Games, critically-acclaimed publisher of supplemental material for the Pathfinder, Savage Worlds and Call of Cthulhu role-playing game systems, has acquired the rights to the Pathfinder-compatible WARLORDS OF THE APOCALYPSE game setting from original developer Adamant Entertainment.

WARLORDS OF THE APOCALYPSE, first announced in 2010, brings the gonzo, over-the-top world of classic post-apocalypse science-fantasy to the Pathfinder rules system, featuring mutants, psychic powers, radioactive beasts and warriors of the wasteland.

"The game ran into some major snags during development," says Gareth-Michael Skarka, director of Adamant Entertainment. "We soldiered on, trying to pull it together, but it became apparent that the property would be far better in the hands of Pathfinder experts like the crew at Super Genius. We're very glad they expressed an interest and that we were able to come to an agreement that honors not only WOTA, but the existing pre-order customers, who were our primary concern."

Customers who had pre-ordered WARLORDS OF THE APOCALYPSE will see those orders fulfilled by Super Genius Games. "We are well aware folks have already been waiting a very long time, and shown amazing patience," says Owen K.C. Stephens, the Line Developer for WOTA at Super Genius. "We'll be outlining our full plans soon, and setting up a forum for open discussions. We know we'll eventually put the book in the hands of the pre--order customers, and we're working out how the general public can get involved. Since we want the biggest, best release possible for Warlords of the Apocalypse, we're even considering a Kickstarter campaign."

Stephens and Skarka both expressed enthusiasm for the project and it's future in the hands of Super Genius Games. "It's such a fun genre, and Super Genius has strongly established themselves as seriously excellent developers," said Skarka. "I look forward to seeing WARLORDS OF THE APOCALYPSE in its final form. I'm sure it will be brilliant!"

Super Genius Games was founded in fall 2007 by game industry veterans Hyrum Savage and Stan!, SGG is dedicated to publishing quality PDF and print products for a wide range of games and game systems. For more information contact owen@supergeniusgames.com.

Adamant Entertainment is a digital media company founded in 2003 by Gareth-Michael Skarka. For more information, visit http://www.adamantentertainment.com.
ImageImage

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 am

About time we got some word on this. Could be really well done if the Anachronistic Adventurers line is inegrated into it.

Thanks dulsi.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Demiplane of Gaming #6 talks about Warlords of the Apocalypse. The Anachronistic Adventurers products sound interesting. It's kinda unfortunate that Warlords of the Apocalypse is sounding more interesting. I haven't bought Pathfinder. I've stayed with 3.5e and 4e.
Last edited by Giant Space Hamster on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Affiliate ID changed to Piazza affiliate ID
ImageImage

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:22 am

Some information from the Owen K.C. Stephens:
Warlords of the Apocalypse is a set of rules designed to expand the Pathfinder Roleplaying game into the post-apocalyptic adventure genre. It covers everything a gaming group needs to play games set on the dusty roads of territories controlled by bike gangs and combat car, the twisted lands where ancient wizards and soulless cyborgs vie for control, the shattered ruins of rusting science bunkers and military outposts, or campaigns that combine all these elements into one vast mash-up of gonzo adventure.

While the game doesn’t require any one campaign setting for GMs and players to make use of the rules, it will present a number of example post-apocalyptic game settings (with notes on which rules and options work best for each). Some, like Plan Z and Thunder Barbarians, draw inspiration from specific sources and apocalyptic fiction. Others, like the Warlords of the Apocalypse (from which the book takes its name), look to combine everything and the kitchen sink to provide a setting where anything is possible.

The following is a first draft of the introduction to the Warlords of the Apocalypse setting, from the chapter “Build Your Apocalypse.”

“At the close of the 21st century, civilization was destroyed. Neither the exact year nor cause of the apocalypse is known. Tales disagree whether the world was overrun by plague, ravaged by war, or destroyed when a rogue planet passed between the earth and the moon. Same say the world was driven mad by the return of old-world magic, while still others claim it shattered by strange radiation emanating from the sun. Ultimately though, specifics don't matter. Whatever the cause, the result was that the Age of Light was snuffed out like a candle, leaving the remnants of humanity huddling amidst the ruins I the Dark Years.

Yet, humanity survived—reduced, often altered, and constantly threatened, but nonetheless continuing. Bunkers designed to preserve the lore of the ancients protected some, though many fell into madness and cannibalism. Others survived those first generations and went on to created new enclaves, where law and knowledge could survive the centuries of night that followed, but only by severing nearly all contact with the outside world. Most humans survived as they always have, by struggling to grow crops in hard earth, huddling together for warmth, and bowing their heads to those strong enough to protect them.

Nor where humans alone now. Mutants rose to claim their share of the shattered world. Animals came to stand as tall as men, and learned to speak, build, and fight. Plants stirred, seeking to prove their older lines were no less adaptable than mammals and reptiles. Even a few artificial intelligences survived, either shut down for centuries until repair circuits could bring them back online, or restored by the bunker dwellers and enclaves.

The most advanced technology was lost, but some machines survived. The ruins of what were once great cities yet contain treasures from the Age of Light, but those treasures bring dangers as well. The weapons of the Age of Light were so terrible that none thought they would ever be used, and the echoes of their terrible wrath have permanently warped the world. Strange fissures in reality exist—tunnels through space and time from which pour everything from dinosaurs to cyborg soldiers from timelines that never existed. Those brave enough to explore the ruined world can still find riches, wonders of lost technology from the fissures or even just food enough to survive the trip to the next set of ruins.

More than five centuries have passed since civilization fell. The Dark Years have slowly come to a close, and a few rays of light have begun to shine through the long night. Now is the time when new heroes can rise, and new empires be built. Now is the time of the Warlords of the Apocalypse.”
ImageImage

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat May 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Well this may be the book that pull my into the PF sphere of influence. I've resisted so far. But I sense my lucky with the saving throw is about to end. When is this due?

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:34 pm

It appears that Rogue Genius Games will now be producing the game.
Owen K.C. Stephens wrote:So as of today I am no longer a member of Super Genius Games. The company and I had ceased to be a good fit, so we can to a mutually satisfactory agreement that has me no longer being a member of the Super Genius Entertainment LLC, and no longer the lead developer of Super Genius Games. I sincerely wish SGG good fortune in all its future endeavors, and I am very proud of the work I did while part of it.

A lot of that work is going to come with me in my new venture, Rogue Genius Games, which I am in the process of spinning up. I have also brought Warlords of the Apocalypse with me, and thus those of you with preorders are now my customers rather than SGG's. I took this project because I am passionate about it, and I really want to produce a game you'll enjoy and I'll love working on and finishing.

I am sure more questions will come as we move forward, and I'll be giving you updates regularly to keep you in the loop about where I and the project am.

Thanks for everyone's support as we take another bend in this already-long road
ImageImage

Craig_in_ACT
Hobgoblin

Post by Craig_in_ACT » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:50 am

I saw an update for this a while ago. I decided to pre-order when it first became available (this was pre-kickstarter from memory).
I am still waiting, and while I may not be happy with the progress, the people involved seem to be genuine in their efforts.
The cards-related comment may have been negative advertising in some ways, that actually appealed to me. I don't like the card-gaming element because it's too easy to lose the darned things, or have one damaged. Cards tied into essential game mechanics seem like an attempt to make something designed to wear out quickly as a cash-cow.

I have nothing against cards, just not don't like them tied into the core mechanics. I like the idea of all the rules being in a single book too :)

Craig J. Brain

Craig_in_ACT
Hobgoblin

Post by Craig_in_ACT » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:56 pm

I received another update by email on this the other day with Rogue Genius Games assuring that the game is still progressing in between other issues.

Craig J. Brain

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:27 pm

Craig_in_ACT wrote:I received another update by email on this the other day with Rogue Genius Games assuring that the game is still progressing in between other issues.
Is that the same update posted on owenkcstephens.com as Progress on the Apocalypse?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Gamma World”