[Metamorphosis Alpha] Classic Rules Back In Print!

A wacky, wily game of postapocalyptic peril.
Craig_in_ACT
Hobgoblin

[Metamorphosis Alpha] Classic Rules Back In Print!

Post by Craig_in_ACT » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:41 am

Just wanted to drop a quick line here to tell people that (today) WardCo. have made a reprint of the 1976 edition available with a short adventure, and a heap of corrections.

It’s the same as the RPGNow version, minus the hex sheet page at the back.

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/m ... ha/1647436

I am hoping that 2012 will be a big year for Metamorphosis Alpha. We have created a heap of stuff for the WardCo. shopfront, including new t-shirts and a couple of products that will cause a chuckle or two.

Craig J. Brain
WardCo.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Re: [Metamorphosis Alpha] Classic Rules Back In Print!

Post by BlackBat242 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Now to just get some money!
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:13 am

Very cool news :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Craig_in_ACT wrote:Just wanted to drop a quick line here to tell people that (today) WardCo. have made a reprint of the 1976 edition available with a short adventure, and a heap of corrections.
Nice one Craig.

I've stuck a story onto D&D Nexus: 1976 Metamorphosis Alpha back in print. (It is also on the D&D Nexus Facebook page.)

I'm glad to see this back in print, but I'm a bit wary of the way that Lulu hikes up the price after you ask to buy stuff. Have you checked the cost (to both yourself and the user) of doing this via DriveThruRPG's Print on Demand service?

Lulu tends to do lower advertised prices, but they also add in excessively large "shipping charges" which they do not disclose until a customer types in their credit card number. In many cases, especially if it is a low price item, I think that Lulu ends up being a lot more expensive to the end user.

I bought Magestic Wilderlands via Lulu and the shipping actually was more money than the book itself! I've had books shipped from the US to the UK for less than half of what Lulu charges for shipping. :shock:

With Lulu's pricing plan being "base price"+"publishers add-on"+"shipping", they are taking all of the first and third slices of the pie as well as taking a cut of your publishers bit. It seems like a bit of a rip off to me, as they are adding in another invisible hike that you don't get to share. They are very secretive* about the actual shipping charge that they are putting onto your customers and I've not seen any way to find out what charges they make for sending books to customers in different countries.

* = Lulu claim that they are unable to display the shipping charges. But they still do not display them if you log in. You have to go all the way to the sales cart to see them. Other online stores are able to manage to show shipping costs to people that are not even logged in. That makes it a lot easier for a customer to make a purchasing decision, as well as making it easier for a publisher to work out what their customers are paying.

If this is a small format book, it is possible that the true cost to the user might be a bit lower if you make this available via DriveThru RPG.
Craig_in_ACT wrote:It’s the same as the RPGNow version, minus the hex sheet page at the back.
Out of interest, why was the hex sheet removed? And do you have any plans to make it available as a free download for anyone that really really wants to have it?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Craig_in_ACT
Hobgoblin

Post by Craig_in_ACT » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:19 pm

David,

Thanks for the mentions. We are a very small company and every bit helps :)

The biggest issue that we are seeing at the moment is the varying quality levels of individual printers, with some people reporting edges being trimmed too far or colours not being right. I have not heard any complaints (until now) about shipping, since Lulu changed the way they do business a few years ago. Mind you, the vast majority of those customers have been in the US.

The hex sheet. I've seen three complaints about the removal of the hex sheet. Two of those people were serious - I think.

I have no idea why they would complain - there was never a hex sheet in the original book - despite claims by one of those people, that his original copy had the hex sheet. The Lulu format we used at the time required the last page to be left blank, which is why we put the hex sheet in the pdf version (to make it an even 36 pages).

In essence, if I thought it was a serious lapse, I would make the hex sheet available. However, I think it was more a case of somebody wanting to make out that they were more "old school" than others who were buying the book.

I hope that explains any issues that may have concerned you about the book. :)

Craig J. Brain
WardCo.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:24 am

Craig_in_ACT wrote:David,

Thanks for the mentions. We are a very small company and every bit helps :)
No problem. Metamorphosis Alpha is part of gaming history and it is great to see WardCo supporting the original rules, as well as moving forward. Other companies don't give customers that same choice.
Craig_in_ACT wrote:The biggest issue that we are seeing at the moment is the varying quality levels of individual printers, with some people reporting edges being trimmed too far or colours not being right. I have not heard any complaints (until now) about shipping, since Lulu changed the way they do business a few years ago. Mind you, the vast majority of those customers have been in the US.
Print on Demand is a new thing and a reliable quality level is probably much more important than price. I've never had a problem with the quality of Lulu.

I suspect that PoD is going to change radically over the next few years as more full colour books drive down the price of the technology and the cost per unit of PoD books gets a little bit more closer to mass produced books. (Small monochrome PoD books already seem to be similar in price.)

It has been a while since I bought something from Lulu. If you say they changed the way they do business, maybe they fixed this. I'll check the shipping charge they make (here) and let you know.
Craig_in_ACT wrote:The hex sheet. I've seen three complaints about the removal of the hex sheet. Two of those people were serious - I think.

I have no idea why they would complain - there was never a hex sheet in the original book - despite claims by one of those people, that his original copy had the hex sheet. The Lulu format we used at the time required the last page to be left blank, which is why we put the hex sheet in the pdf version (to make it an even 36 pages).

In essence, if I thought it was a serious lapse, I would make the hex sheet available. However, I think it was more a case of somebody wanting to make out that they were more "old school" than others who were buying the book.

I hope that explains any issues that may have concerned you about the book. :)
If it is just a plain hex sheet (rather than something that gets used as a map) I don't think it is important. I was just wondering why the two formats would be different (a bit like that guy in the Dirty Harry film). The answer wasn't what I expected, so thanks for humouring my curiosity. :mrgreen:

And thanks for coming out here to talk to fans.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Gamma World”