Sooner Dead

A wacky, wily game of postapocalyptic peril.
dulsi
Storm Giant

Sooner Dead

Post by dulsi » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:01 pm

I've finally gotten around to one of the Gamma World novels. It's an ok book so far but something has been bothering me about it. It doesn't feel like the new Gamma World and it doesn't feel like the old Gamma World. It seems like the world is still constantly changing from dimensional rips which wasn't the impression I got from the new Gamma World. I haven't seen any evidence of alpha mutations. It's a serious novel without a lot of humour. According to reviews I looked up it doesn't have any monsters from the old or new Gamma World. It seems more like the old Gamma World due to the serious tone but the constant talk of ripples kills that. Anyone else read it?
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Sooner Dead

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:08 am

Interesting. The only Gamma World novel I knew about were the Endless Quest ones (and only one of those I ever actually owned or read, Light on Quest's Mountain).

Was this one a recent novel?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:10 am

Release Date: February 1, 2011

There is also Red Sails in the Fallout released July 5, 2011.

I own the Endless Quest ones. I read Light on Quest Mountain as a kid and enjoyed it. I've only got the other books later. I tried reading American Knight recently. I find I don't like the choose your own adventure books anymore. I plan to go back to it but decided to put it down for now.
ImageImage

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:47 pm

dulsi wrote:I own the Endless Quest ones. I read Light on Quest Mountain as a kid and enjoyed it. I've only got the other books later. I tried reading American Knight recently. I find I don't like the choose your own adventure books anymore. I plan to go back to it but decided to put it down for now.
I really enjoyed reading Endless Quest: A Wild Ride but found it fairly hard work to make sure I didn't loose my place. I might enjoy an Endless Quest novel set in Gamma World, but can't see it as the best way to start learning about the setting.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:01 am

Especially since, for Gamma World more than almost any other game, "the setting" is each DM's own view of how the world has changed and mutated in the centuries since the destruction of civilization.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:59 pm

I finished the book. I'm kinda disappointed with it. I felt that with a one shot like this they should strive to tie up loose ends for the most part. The history of the female lead is left unexplored. It's an ok book overall. I like the bisonoid and nanobot human who were the main characters. I liked the serious tone of the book. Just wish it had more old school GW to it.
ImageImage

Return to “Gamma World”